Recommend a Really Dark TV Show

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by nbakid2000, Apr 24, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

But, if I recall, there were two HILARIOUS episodes.... maybe from Season Two.
    The one with the three old-men/demons and, the one with Charles Nelson Rielly, returning as Jose Chung, from "The X-Files"!

rogertheshrubber likes this.
  2. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Dark, bleak, no happy endings; a guy after my own heart apparently. Daredevil.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I guess Game of Thrones is a Disney park roller coaster of fun??

4. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

Something a bit older than most of the above suggestions. Both available on DVD in the UK if you have an all-region player:

The Life And Loves Of A She-Devil: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098849/

(not to be confused with the dreadful Hollywood film of the same story!)

Karaoke/Cold Lazarus: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115140/

The last two plays by the great Dennis Potter. They are linked, which is why you need to watch both, but it is Cold Lazarus that fits your requirements.

5. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

My wife (American) was not prepared for the way we Brits kill characters left, right and center. She got heavily invested in a few only to be stunned at their sudden departure. The most shocking was one of the TWO main characters being killed in the first episode of the second series of one show. Fortunately, there was a big box of Kleenex close at hand! :)

MI-5/Spooks is a great show, BTW.

6. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Half the 'dead' characters in Spooks come back to life. ;)

7. Practically no one watches it but Salem on WGN is one of the nastiest scripted dramas on television at the moment. The production design is very gothic and visceral, one of its most common settings is a pit of decaying corpses.:eek:

8. SMcFarlane

SMcFarlane Forum Resident

I'll though in a vote for Black Sails, Fortitude, Inside No. 9, Hit & Miss, ... I'd say they're pretty dark.

9. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Excellent - Excellent - Excellent !!!
    It ran two seasons, both seasons are available on DVD, I have them. A made for TV movie followed up a few years later.
    Dark? - The leads are all grim reapers. Dark Humor EVERYWHERE!

Diamond Dog and Robin L like this.
  10. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Dead Like Me is a joke. And a bad one at it.

11. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

Wallander (UK version). Ultra depressing cop show with Kenneth Branagh (who cries for most of the episodes)

CBC, rogertheshrubber and SMcFarlane like this.
  12. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

It's a great show about work, "Dead End Jobs" and poetic flights of fancy from Mandy Patinkin.

13. redmetalmoose

redmetalmoose Forum Resident

Completely agree.The dvr killed itself after I recorded a few episodes for my wife.

Gumboo likes this.
  14. Mirrorblade.1

Mirrorblade.1 Forum Resident

No, Pilot and Gehenna are very scary rewatch them again.
    I am forever traumatized by Gehenna.

15. Diamond Dog

Diamond Dog Cautionary Example

I recall reading that the infamous deep-fryer episode early in the series generated more outrage directed at the BBC than anything broadcast there before or since. So there, Jeremy Clarkson... you poser ! :uhhuh:

D.D.

16. "Dexter" is about as dark as they come, despite all the bright and vibrant Miami color used in the shots.

17. Tetrack

Tetrack Forum Resident

BBC2's 'Inside No.9', currently showing the 2nd series. Dark and funny.

18. Iceblossom

Iceblossom Member

I know I already replied, but yesterday I just started watching Fortitude, which is on Pivot channel and in my cable set. Unfortunately, they didn't have the early episodes available with On Demand, so I watched via a streaming site.

Very dark, a lot like The Killing with just a touch of Twin Peaks so far, but set in an unidentified arctic region, a small company mining town in the middle of nowhere -- once you describe yourself as "the safest place on earth" you know something has to happen... Can't tell if it holds up since I'm just a couple of episodes in, but worth looking at. I found it on a list of "20 shows you don't watch but should" sort of thing.
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3498622/

royzak2000 and nbakid2000 like this.
  19. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

Criminal Minds.

Mandy Patinkin reportedly thought it was so dark that he left the show.

I also second The Leftovers.

Dan

20. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

Just watched the first 4 episodes of Cordon a Belgian virus outbreak series which is pretty good.

21. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

It would have been awesome if Bryan Fuller had been allowed to continue as showrunner. Instead we got a safe mainstream effort that actually had a clip show in the first season! Huge disappointment.

22. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Just recently binged on a British show called The Missing which aired on Starz. It was a bleak, highly charged, thoroughly dramatic experience with some elements that left me thinking about it for days after finishing it. Highly recommended.

23. Scotian

Scotian Amnesia Hazed

One of my favorite series. The first season is pretty dark, serial killer stuff. The second season is all over the place but my favorite season of the three. It gets into more supernatural & secret society aspects. The third season is fairly forgettable unfortunately except for the finale. The show should have ended with season two. The last few minutes of season two were some of the most chilling TV I've ever seen. Lance Henriksen was great in this show.

[​IMG][​IMG]

AndrewS and PhantomStranger like this.
  24. MonkeyLizard

MonkeyLizard Forum Resident

When I read 'black humor', the first thing I thought of was "It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia".

chumlie likes this.
  25. Jim Henson's Storyteller series.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.