New "Ultimate Sinatra" collections coming April 21, 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Bob F, Mar 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TimH

TimH Forum Resident

That album is filled with great showtunes, and it backed by a very large orchestra. I think you will like it, but it does have a much different feel than almost all other Sinatra albums.

Speaking of The Ultimate Sinatra collection, I will likely take a pass on it and hope that something better comes out later in the year. I'd love to get the Australia concert, and wish they sold it in the States, OR I wish they had included the concert disc as a part of the larger, multi-disc collection.

wave and BeatleStair like this.
  2. frankfan1

frankfan1 Some days I feel like Balok

Well, looking up...I just got a shipping confirmation...so this bundle of joy should be here next week.

Bob F likes this.
  3. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

No joy here... still. :(

rangerjohn likes this.
  4. DABarrios

DABarrios Forum Resident

Bob, that's actually been audible since the track was released on the Come Fly Away compilation that was released in conjunction with the opening of that Broadway show. These remasters have existed for quite a while. That compilation also has a remastered version of the 1984 version of Body and Soul that premiered on that album. Well, more like 1984/2007 version, right?

5. botley

botley Forum Resident

It friggin' stinks. Took one listen to the previews on iTunes and I went "nope".

6. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

7. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Re: Theme from New York, New York
    Sorry to beat the same old drum, but it's an issue of ATTENTION TO DETAIL. Clearly, the track can be mixed properly to dodge that vocal sound, but when both the Nothing but the Best and Ultimate Sinatra remixes were done, screw-ups -- or, at minimum, questionable aesthetic decisions -- were allowed to sneak past the goalie. These mixes are probably made from 32-track tapes (or something along those lines), and I guarantee you there's a mic a few inches from the hi-hat, which is the only instrument playing at that instant, and unless you have a bunch of tape tracks unnecessarily "open" during the mix at that point, that vocal sound can be completely avoided.

We have three distinct mixes going on here:
    •Original stereo mix: Brass left, strings center, saxes right
    Nothing but the Best remix: Saxes left, strings left(-ish), brass right (heavy compression; missing first note)
    Ultimate Sinatra remix: Strings left, brass and saxes right (even heavier compression; vocal sound along with first note)

Heck of a way to run a railroad....

EDIT:

Here's a clip: https://app.box.com/s/mq6oi2sza4vydk8az371tvlsbih0e9yf

...that's the first 10 seconds from three versions:
    •1983 German New York, New York CD
    •2008 Nothing but the Best CD (missing first note)
    •2015 Ultimate Sinatra (extra vocal sound)
    (There are 2 seconds of space between each sample.)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2015
  8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member Thread Starter

The COME FLY AWAY CD was issued in March 2010. Before that, in December 2009, the CD SINATRA: AS SELECTED BY STEVE WYNN (VOLUME 1), from Encore at Wynn Las Vegas, had the 2008 remaster with the first note cut off. So that gives a three-month window for when FSE began using this "newer" mix.

Bob Belvedere likes this.
  9. TeacFan

TeacFan Forum Resident In Memoriam

My Getmusic (Ausie) 2 CD, ordered on the 23rd still shows order status as: processing. wtf?

10. Bob Belvedere

Bob Belvedere Forum Resident

My 2010 made in the EU, FSE UMe version of NYNY on Trilogy appears to be like the 1983 German version.

First ten seconds [with high-hat amplified]: https://app.box.com/s/0jwzb7pv4gqp1605qjaipvvo3d9a5wsh

FYI: the copyright (c) date on the back cover = 2010, but the (p) date is, interestingly = 1964 [obvious typo, as the CD has a (p) of 1998]

11. Bob F

Like almost all of the UMG CD reissues in the EU from 2009–12, that version of Trilogy replicates an earlier Reprise issue, in this case from 1988. The mastering (℗) dates are often incorrect on those CDs.

12. Bob Belvedere

The
    The CD Package doesn't mention who did the mastering in 1998 [not '1988' - typo on my part] Do we know who did it?

13. Bob F

Re: Trilogy
    "Post Production, Mix down and Mastering by Lee Herschberg"

That's on the back covers of both the 2010 Universal reissue and the original 1988 Reprise CD. That '88 CD used the original album mix, and it has © 1980 and ℗ 1980 on its back cover. (There was no 1998 CD issue.)

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  14. Bob Belvedere

So the info on the CD, itself, is wrong. Man...can't they get these things right? Sadly, this lack of attention to detail is found everywhere these days.

wave likes this.
  15. Bob F

The CD label replicates the back cover text, ℗ 1964. An obvious faux pas, since the music wasn't recorded until 1979. There are many such mistakes on those UMG CDs. The inattention to detail noted by Matt was not restricted to the music.

rxcory and Bob Belvedere like this.
  16. Bob F

There's a 17-hour time difference between California and Sydney. If you ordered late in the day on Thursday the 23rd, it might have been received too late on Friday the 24th in Australia to avoid a weekend delay.

17. jimac51

jimac51 A mythical beast.

BTW,that badge pack may be floating around in various places. My local record store guy gave me a set the other day,knowing I'm a Sinatra geek. Evidently came in a shipment this week from one of his distributors as a promo. Label on back has a distributor-generated bar code for tracking purposes.

MarkusGermany and Bob F like this.
  18. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

I got the badge pack free on Record Store Day.

19. KeithH

Is it the consensus here that Ultimate Sinatra is poorly mastered? If so, what are the issues? I picked up the Target two-disc set on a whim this morning (just $13.99) and am wondering what to be listening for with regards to the mastering.

(Count me as another who ordered the set from Australia. I wonder how long it will take to ship, let alone arrive.).

20. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

I want the badges too:realmad:
    I ordered from ABC-Shop, I guess that there are no badges included...

21. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Why do I get this sick feeling inside, that Nancy, Tina & Frank Jr. read our opinions on this forum, regarding the sound quality of these latest reissues and they just chuckle and say, "Ha Ha, but we got you to buy it!" PLEASE, dear Lord and Chairman Of The Board above, give this catalog back to MFSL, or at least allow Steve Hoffman one fair pass at each "Capitol" and "Reprise" title on SACD and then you guys can release all the crap sounding sets that your little hearts desire and I won't care one little bit!

randy9700, wave and MarkusGermany like this.
  22. KeithH

Order the special two-disc set from getmusic.com.au. :)

23. KeithH

This, of course, was our fear last year when MFSL started canceling titles. At least we were right. :sigh:

24. botley

botley Forum Resident

Give it a try for yourself and let us know what you think. I didn't listen to the whole set, but from the short samples I heard there was no life or punch in the recordings.

Beaneydave likes this.
  25. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

No badges from ABC shop...only express delivery with tracking.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.