What is your preference for Country Honk on the Rolling Stones Let It Bleed album?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Oct 7, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Keep it.

Clanceman likes this.
  2. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

dino77 likes this.
  3. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Great tune.

4. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

And Country Shelter, Country Monkey Man,...

Fullbug likes this.
  5. Jonboy

Jonboy Forum Resident

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that Honky Tonk was not included on the album since it was released as a single beforehand to publicise it, and British consumers would have felt ripped off if it had also been included on the actual album.

IMHO, Country Honk is a far weaker track, and I like to think that the 'real' version would have been on the album were it not for the marketing anomaly.

Therefore, I have replaced Country with Honky.

I respect the purist viewpoint of leaving the album unaltered though :)

oh1 likes this.
  6. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Replace Midnight Rambler with several of the much shorter outtakes you list

7. Dave Hoos

Dave Hoos Nothing is revealed

You can find "I'm Going Down" on Metamorphosis. It's a great track, although Mick's vocal sounds distinctly unfinished. It's got a killer open-G riff from Keith and some brilliant bass from Mick Taylor.

8. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor Thread Starter

I'm Going Down, Jiving Sister Fanny & I Don't Know Why are all on Metamorphosis.

9. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Thanks for the speedy response! Can you (or anyone) help me with two other questions?

1. Are the versions of "Jiving SF" and "Memo from Turner" different on Metamorphosis from the ones on the Singles Collection? As far as I can tell "I Don't Know" is the same.
    2. Was there any post-production work done on the Metamorphosis-Let It Bleed tracks, other than the splice at the end of "I Don't Know"? No early 70s overdubs, with or without the Stones' involvement?

10. malco49

malco49 Forum Resident

i am sure it was there for a reason......let it bleed is a great record....although my least favorite of the the big four....
    i like sticky fingers....exile...and beggars better.....by quite a large margin...

11. Dave Hoos

"Jiving Sister Fanny" is exactly the same on both albums, but it's a completely different version of "Memo From Turner".

12. Bowland

Bowland Forum Resident

Weak track? Nonsense!

Clanceman likes this.
  13. Alien Reg

Alien Reg Forum Resident

Just heard it for the first time - great! Is it a potential Let It Bleed track though? To my ears it's got more of a Sticky Fingers sound.

14. Dave Hoos

I'm pretty sure that it was recorded in 1969, not long after Mick Taylor joined the band, during the Let It Bleed sessions. It's a pity they didn't do a little more work on it and finish it off. I love the riff...and the bass too.

15. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor Thread Starter

"I Don't Know Why" – 3:01

• Recorded on 3 July 1969 (the night that news broke of Brian Jones's death) during the sessions for Let It Bleed
    • The music after the stop was spliced in at a later stage. The second slide guitar solo by Mick Taylor is a copy of the first solo
    • Incorrectly credited to Jagger, Richards and Taylor on the first pressing of the album. The credits were corrected with the second pressing and on the 2002 SACD version
    "Jiving Sister Fanny" – 2:45

• Recorded in June 1969, during the Let It Bleed sessions, with Taylor on lead guitar
    "I'm Going Down" – 2:52

• Recorded primarily in the fall of 1969.[3]
    • Line up: Mick Jagger (vocals), Keith Richards (guitar), Mick Taylor (bass), Charlie Watts (drums), Bobby Keys (sax), Rocky Dijon (percussion), Stephen Stills (guitar)
    • Credited to Jagger, Richards and Taylor on the first pressing of the album. The credits were changed to 'Jagger/Richards' with the second pressing and on the 2002 SACD version

Dave Hoos likes this.
  16. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I've been listening to this album since it's release. I really can't even imagine the sequence of this album any other way. It's not that I feel it' a better track than the listed alternatives...it's that it simply sits precisely where it belongs.

Bowland and Oatsdad like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.