Brian Wilson biopic: Love and Mercy

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Apr 17, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

This. Can't unsee John Cusak.

Vidiot likes this.
  2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

Could've been worse... could've been Jack Black or Zack Galifianakis playing middle-aged Brian... :eek:

389 Tripower, BeatleJWOL and zebop like this.
  3. The Wanderer

The Wanderer Seeker of Truth

Every time I see this thread title I think of "Love" by Mercy

4. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

That is unfortunate.

5. The Wanderer

Fortunately, it was a great song.

6. Jose Jones

Unfortunately, it has nothing at all to do with a Brian Wilson biopic.

7. The Wanderer

The Thread Title does, however, and I think Free Speech, opinions, thoughts and observations are acceptable here or have you decided otherwise?

8. Jose Jones

I decided otherwise. Then I had love and mercy on us all...

9. The Wanderer

Well, although a Day 1 and continuing BW Fan, I'm not a fan of biopics, as they distract me from enjoyment of the music.

I was recently reading a highly detailed song-by-song account of his work and stopped reading because it was just simply TMI.

10. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Mind you, in the late 1980s (when most of the Cusack scenes are set) Brian Wilson looked more like Don Henley than he did Brian Wilson!

As I said upthread, Cusack doesn't look much like Brian, but he has the speech patterns and the movement of his face exactly down. To me, he gives a more natural performance than Dano.

11. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Not 100% sure that this is the official movie poster but it looks like it might be.

[​IMG]

Also of note...Brian mentioned (to a question) in his Twitter Q/A that the full trailer would be out "in a couple of weeks". Taken absolutely literally, that would be this week.

Hoping so...

12. Jason Manley

Last edited: Apr 14, 2015
    sgtmono likes this.
  13. Jose Jones

Looks like lots of Melinda and Gene Landy drama in the biopic.

14. Jason Manley

From everything (reviews, screenplay) it sounds like the breakdown is 50/50 between "Brian Past" and "Brian Future". The "Brian Past" scenes are like 5-10% flashbacks to the Beach Boys meteoric rise and then the making of PET SOUNDS and SMiLE and then mental breakdown. Most of the "Brian Future" scenes are about Brian and Melinda's romance and getting away from Dr. Landy, late 80's and early 90's.

Trailers have to pick an angle and this one does well juxtaposing what the film is actually about. Again, from all I have read about it. Brian coming apart (1960s) as he puts himself back together (1980s).

15. Jose Jones

Those angles make sense, but I wouldn't call the Landy-era, "Future". :)

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  16. Jason Manley

Screenplay lingo.

:)

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I would've called it "Twilight Zone."

18. Jason Manley

Maybe I should't be, but I'm really surprised at the lack of enthusiasm for this film.

- Shrug -

19. mike's beard

mike's beard Forum Resident

Reverse for me. Dano seemed exactly like I'd imagined Brian must have been like back in '66. Cusack just seemed like Cusack. Where do I recognise the guy playing Landy from? He seems to have nailed the sleazebag quality of Landy from the few brief seconds he was on screen.

20. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

The guy playing Landy is Paul Giamatti, who's best known for Sideways and American Splendor.

He is definitely made out to be a villain in the movie, a psycho with no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

Anyway, trust me on how good Cusack's performance is. The trailer doesn't do it justice. The movie has a number of long takes in it and Cusack is electrifying.

21. mike's beard

mike's beard Forum Resident

Cool, I really like Cusack as an actor.

22. Jason Manley

23. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Yeah, maybe a bit too much for my tastes, and that's the part that they're likely to distort the most. I can see the angle--the meteoric rise to glory, the mindbending descent into madness, and then the inspiring return as Brian fights to overcome his demons and find love again. Oh well, I just hope that they get the 60s part right and Paul Dano seems like a strong choice.

24. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Me too, but he's really not going to work as Brian Wilson.

25. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

I saw it tonight. It had its problems, but it was impressive in most respects. Paul Dano is absolutely mesmerizing as the young Brian Wilson. I'll be shocked if he isn't at least in the conversation come awards season. Cusack gets an A for effort, but I never forgot that I was watching John Cusack.

Actually, the film's most effective scenes were the ones set in the recording studio, depicting Wilson as he made Pet Sounds and "Good Vibrations." Those are the kinds of scenes that usually get botched in movies like this, but I think even Beach Boys geeks will be pleasantly surprised at how well they were handled. It helped that those scenes were actually shot at the former Western Recorders and not on a set.

P.S. Clever casting of Chuck Britz's character.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.