Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Maybe I'm just used to the stereo Blue Train.

2. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Why do you say that?

I mean, the vinyl noise and or non-fill problems seem to be random. Perhaps they might be able to do a more careful job?

And I'm wondering if there is anything inherently less problematic about pressing records cut at 45rpm, since they seem to have had fewer problems.

3. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

I highly doubt that the issues were widespread enough to make RTI change anything they're doing. If it was a case on par of what Rainbo did with The Beatles stereo LPs, maybe MM would push for a serious change of some kind. Steve mentioned way back in the thread that the 45rpm format isn't as prone to non-fill and why. I can't remember the reasons, but it should pop up in a search.

4. AnalogJ

If anyone knows where those comments of Steve's are, I'd appreciate seeing them.

5. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Quick question, does RTI press all the music matters releases?

6. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Yes

7. antielectrons

antielectrons Well-Known Member

As far as I am aware it is being repressed because it sold out! There are no "noise issues". I strongly recommend folks get these whilst they can...

8. antielectrons

I have both too, great music whatever version you get ;-)

9. AnalogJ

There were noise issues, though. If you go back and search, there were a number of people who expressed having problems with their 33 of Idle Moments. I was one who got a copy which was fine.

Alex Zabotkin likes this.
  10. Hank

Hank Senior Member

11. JoelWat

JoelWat Forum Resident

Re Idle Moments, this was never a MM release, so from a MM perspective I guess the word 'repress' is not correct :). I have the AP version, which is fine, but will buy this from MM if only to get the nice jacket.

JMCIII likes this.
  12. AnalogJ

Yes, it was and is a Music Matters release. It's a 33 1/3 LP. It has been available since later last year.

13. JoelWat

JoelWat Forum Resident

You are right. I stand corrected and I have a purchase coming up :)

14. Billy boy

Billy boy Active Member

I got Idle Moments here in the UK last month and it was flawless. I assume It'll be a later pressing. It's wonderful.

15. antielectrons

I have an early pressing and its perfect too. Great music.

16. Billy boy

Billy boy Active Member

Listening right now.

antielectrons likes this.
  17. AnalogJ

It may turn out that pressing flaws may be random. It's great to get one that's perfect, and it sucks to get the rare one full of noise, and then there are the ones with a few ticks and pops or even some non-fill.

It's nice that we can hear from all about their copies without getting individually judged personally. Oh, wait.... :rolleyes:

18. CARPEYOLO

CARPEYOLO Forum Resident

I'm really loving Hank Mobley's Soul Station. I find it easily accessible, upbeat, and good for pretty much any occasion.

Can you recommend some other records in the same vein?

Billy boy and JustLust like this.
  19. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Youd probably like more soul/blues jazz than bop or hard bop. Thats where I started also. An easy listen for me due to more blues and rock background.

Explore all of Hanks stuff . Probably will enjoy a lot of it .

Hank Mobley- Roll Call
    Dexter Gordon - Doin Alright
    Tina Brooks- True Blue
    Horace Silver- Blowin The Blues Away (Hard bop w/ soul leanings)
    Horace Silver- Songs For My Father
    Cannonball Adderly- Know What I Mean? (Hard bop w/ soul leanings)
    Lou Donaldson- Blues Walk

And though more hard bop than blues you might like John Coltranes very accessible "Blue Train".

Lots of Coleman Hawkins is bluesy

Also check out Ike Quebec

May I suggest before you spend 40-50$ that you find these online and live with them for a few days. That way you know for sure they are your thing. Note: not all are BNs.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  20. CARPEYOLO

CARPEYOLO Forum Resident

I always audition on spotify prior to purchasing and will do the same with your suggestions.

I own Blue Train and Adderly's Somethin' Else (both MM 33) and they sound spectacular. I really like Blue Train but I adore Somethin' Else. Also have True Blue...excellent as well!

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  21. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Cool. I added somemore in that earlier post. Im a fairly new guy to jazz also. Ive had to take the real hard bop stuff pretty slow. My brain doesnt always work that detailed and fast lol.

I love Coleman Hawkins. Though I believe he is more on the Prestige label?

Also Gene Ammons (I almost typed Simons) "Boss Tenor" is one of the finest sounding and most enjoyable groove/soul albums I have. Yes, its not complicated and I guess to tame for jazz veterans but I still love it.

Again, some of these are not BNs. My apologies for that.

22. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Well, finally sat down and listened to Ike Quebec's Blue and Sentimental.

WOW it's a stunner! The dynamics are phenomenal... there's more "room" in the recording (more reverb?), and Grant Green is phenomenal as always.
    The bite to his tenor is just so realistic sounding. I'm loving it. Surprised to not see more praise for it on this thread?

JustLust and mikeyt like this.
  23. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Also, would love some advice from you all:

I'm trying to pare down my vinyl-spending habit, and the 2-per-month of these releases is just killing me. I bought 100% of the first 33 series, but can't justify all of the new series.

Which of the two April releases would you recommend I buy?
    Love the Turrentine brothers... but haven't ever heard the Three Sounds record.
    I generally value "mellow"/"blue" style jazz (not bebop)... or more challenging abstract stuff (Mingus, McLean, etc.)

Thoughts?

24. mikeyt

mikeyt Forum Resident

It's on my list to order next along with Empyrean Isles. I've been listening to Isles, the Mastered for iTunes version, and really diggin' it.

I planned on cherry picking from this year's series, too. I was gonna go with The Three Sounds LP over Parlan, but I'm a fan of Turrentine and I'm not that familiar with Speakin' My Piece yet.

chris8519 likes this.
  25. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Isles is literally next on my listening stack! Can't wait! Have always loved that album, but can never find decent copies, until now. The quality of the sleeve print is top notch.
    ...I sound like some PR guy for MusicMattersJazz, but I don't care. It's nice to see a company care for their product. ;)

patrickd likes this.