Game of Thrones Season Five! No Spoilers Please!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Michael, Apr 6, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DeeThomaz

DeeThomaz Senior Member

The Blu-Rays (and maybe the DVDs, I don't know offhand in that case) are nice in that way, as they have an option where you can call up a detailed list of the characters and locations in any scene. Plus a wealth of other supplemental material.

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

This might help. :)

3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

I kept hearing about this great show called Game of Thrones from a few co-workers and decided to check out an episode, they were in the middle of season 3 at that point…..obviously this tactic didn't work, the show looked interesting enough so I decided to go right back to season 1 and purchased the Blu-Ray set, it's the only way to go, the show has too many layers/plots and characters and they're all interconnected in some way. Even on repeat viewings you'll pick up on little nuances, comments from certain characters that will lead into some major developments down the road, all that scheming and plotting takes time to develop. The shows politics are also very interesting as different ideologies wage war with each other for control.

4. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

This is very true. And one of the great things about the world of GOT is that there is such well developed history. There are all these characters, many long dead, referred to but never seen. But their actions are still reverberating in the world we are watching. The blu-ray special features that go into detail on the history, religions, geographny, political alliances, etc of the world are all very interesting, if you care teo fully understand what is going on. Not everyone really cares that much or is wiling to spend the time to learn all that stuff, but I really enjoy it and it deepens my appreciation for the show.

Deuce66 likes this.
  5. mep

mep Forum Resident

There where three small issues, I have with the two episodes. First: Many characters now kind of bump into each over, just to connect some story lines. Like Sansa and Brienne. That was just a stupid scene, evidently only done to get a small action segment into the show. Second: The scene with Bronn and Jamie. Why should Bronn help Jamie, if he was deceived by the lennisters in the first place ? Shouldn´t he estimate, that such a thing will happen just again ? For me this was also just a weak attempt, to get Bronn back into the story. Third: I´m not a great fan of flashbacks, were different actors are used to play the same part of main actors. It was done quite good in the first episode, but appears always quite cheesy to me...

The first two episodes were overall ok, but almost nothing groundbreaking happend. It´s like a very long exposition. Hopefully for things to come in the next few episodes...

Deesky likes this.
  6. agentalbert

Bronn's betrothal to whoever that girl was has already been disolved by Lannister decree and she is not engaged to someone else. That document Jaime handed Bronn was not an offer, it was a done deal. So yeah, Bronn could turn down Jaime's offer, but he'd have nothing. He may as well help him and hope Jaime makes good on his promise to give Bronn an even better deal.

The show is so good, that some viewers are apparently disappointed that nothing "groundbreaking" happened for a two episode stretch. Five seasons in you would think people would trust the producers enough that there will be a payoff in the future and not demand explosive events every week. I have no problem with the pace.

Rufus McDufus likes this.
  7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

That scene also proved that Bronn DID screw Terion!
    He said, "I made a deal with your sister."
    That proves to me, in those few words, that he brought Shay to Cersi & Tywin!

8. agentalbert

Good point. It very well may mean that. I can't see what other reason Bronn would have had to have any dealings with Cersei.

9. mep

mep Forum Resident

I thought it could also just mean, that he did not fight for Tyrion in the trial of god thing. There is a cut scene on the BD where you see a little more as in the broadcast version...

10. vince

uhh, I don't think Cersi would give him a 'lord-ship' just to NOT fight The Mountain!

11. mep

mep Forum Resident

He didn´t get anything till now... ;)

And Cersei wants to see Tyrion dead...

12. mep

mep Forum Resident

How do you come to this conclusion ? Bronn reads the document (by the way, amazing that he can read! Was this mentioned before, how it comes, that he can read?) out loud and the only information is that his betrothal will marry another man. Than Jamie says, he will give Bronn a better deal and a bigger castle after Bronn had helped him on his new quest. I don´t see there a done deal for Bronn, just the oral offer from Jamie...

13. Dee Zee

Dee Zee Once Upon a Dream

My favorite line so far:

Tyron. "The future is ****, just like the past."
    He tells it like it is.

14. agentalbert

What I mean is that Bronn's engagement to whoever is no more, per the document Jaime hands him. It decrees that she will marry someone else. So Bronn has lost that and the title that came with it regardless of whether he accepts Jaime's offer or not. Bronn can help Jaime or not, but if he hopes to get a wife, land and a title, he needs to.

I don't know if they've ever made any metion of whether Bronn can read or not before this. Not every sell sword is illiterate. It doesn't seem a super unbelievable stretch that he can read. What was his position at The Eyrie before he agreed to fight for Tyrion?

15. mep

mep Forum Resident

OK. So we are quite on the same page, just coming to different conclusions. For me he got screwed by the Lannisters, so for me it´s not the best motivation to do it again and just hope for the best...

Not unbelievable, but for me a bit far-fetched. I would think only the higher class could read and mostly only the maesters could write. That´s how it was in the dark ages and I would think it´s quite the same in the world of GoT. So if you show a guy like Bronn reading, I would think you should make it clear in the past (or at least the future of the show) why he is able doing so...

16. Popmartijn

Popmartijn Senior Member

I believe an earlier episode mentioned that Bronn could not read, or at least not read well. I was thus quite surprised when he read out the document Jaime gave him.
    BTW, Bronn didn't live at the Eyrie when he stepped out to fight for Tyrion. He joined Catelyn Stark at the Trident when she and some of her father's bannermen took Tyrion captive. Before that he was just a roaming sellsword.

Gary likes this.
  17. agentalbert

I suppose, though he may feel it Cersei who screwed him but that Jaime is more likely to keep his word if he helps him. He knows Jaime from training him, but also from Tyrion. And Tyrion probably painted Jaime in a mostly favorable light, unlike Cersei. One wonders why he made a deal with Cersei in the first place. I guess he figured he had nothing to lose.

Fair points on Bronn reading. I didn't rememebr that he was at the bar where Catelyn had Tyrion seized and taken to the Eyrie. I dont' remember them making a point one way or the other on his ability to read before, but maybe they did. Maybe he learned a little during his time in King's Landing while serving as head of the Gold Cloaks?

18. agentalbert

Reading the details of Bronn at the GOT Wiki, it does seem to suggest that the deal for Bronn to marry was Cersei bribing Bronn not to fight as Tyron's champion. That seems like it was unnecessary. I would have thought Cersei would assume The Mountain practically invincible, and I don't think Bronn would have taken that fight even if no deal was offered. So maybe when Bronn says "I had a deal with Cersie" it doesn't mean he is the one that betrayed Tyrion with regard to getting Shae out of the city. I've always thought it was more likely Varys than Bronn, but maybe we'll find out for sure later.

19. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

and she will not rest until she see's the head!

20. vince

"KHALEESI's COMING TO WESTEROS!!"- Luther, the Obama anger translator.
    Last night, at the Correspondence Dinner.

21. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Cersei is the Queen. You don't ignore the ruling monarch's wishes if you wish to stay out of the black cells (the lowest level of dungeons).

22. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

I thought she was the Queen Mother? Robert Baratheon died in Season 1.

23. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Details, details. :D Queen Regent, then? :)

24. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Bottom line, she's currently the most powerful person in Westeros.

25. vince

First thing my wife said after the episode was over:
    "DON'T f*$%k with TYRION!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.