Anyone watch the FX series The Americans

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Excellent point. If she gets to see the real Russia, it may be hard for her to reconcile what she sees there and the Soviet ideology vis a vis western society.

2. rjp

rjp Senior Member

outstanding finale.

loved the reagan speech about evil, the look on keri russell's face was worth an emmy by itself.

paige my, or may not, have opened a can of worms. i have this weird feeling that the reverend and wife are not really what they seem to be............philip and elizabeth are, simply, smarted than that.

looking forward to next season.

JimC likes this.
  3. davechen

davechen Forum Resident

Yup. Great episode. What's going to happen with Pastor Tim? And what about Martha? It's gonna be a long wait for next season.

4. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

Don't they have to kill anyone she tells? I just wonder if Stan will find out and instead of turning them in, he uses them to get nina?

5. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

I actually had to look up who
    the guy was that Phil killed
    He was on many previous episodes, but I swear I don't remember seeing him!
    And if you notice,
    Paige only says that they're not Americans, they're Russians. She doesn't actually say they're spies
    A much more subdued finale, and lots of questions and plotlines left to be fleshed out (i.e. Martha, Nina, Oleg, Phil's commitment to the cause, Todd, Pastor Tim, Kimmie, Northrup, it goes on and on).

DeeThomaz likes this.
  6. shokhead

It's left for us to assume what Paige did or didn't say.

7. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

No, it isn't. Her last couple of sentences to the preacher are very explicit.

8. shokhead

But she was still talking.

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member Thread Starter

Great season finale.

But am I the only one who thinks the stuff with Nina drags the plot advancement to a halt? Her story is the one I funny care about.

GMfan87' and junk like this.
  10. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

I thought this was a great season capped off by a great finale, and yet I was left somewhat frustrated as well. The season featured some really taught, excellent scenes and some really engaging plot-lines, but it also stretched those plot-lines out so far that the season itself felt more (to me) like a half-season, or a bridge leading to a much greater climax to come. There is so much now hanging in the air that I kind of wished they'd condensed some of the action to establish a strong arc that resolved itself a little more. Now I feel like we have to wait another year for pretty much every single conflict to reach its conclusion. That said, the show is still running on all cylinders and it's hardly a critique that I wished it could've gone on longer or that I didn't have to wait to find out what happens.

marcb likes this.
  11. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

I'm just all like .....CALL STAN !!!

12. kwadguy

She's not trying to get her parents put in prison. She's looking for a friend she can trust with her horrible secret. She thinks the pastor is that person.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The showrunner has given an interview where he said they shot the Paige scene several times and had her say different things. One of them was very vague, like, "I don't think my parents are who they say they are." And another version spilled all the beans." They finally decided to go somewhere in the middle.

BTW, one of the producers recently said it was about March of 1983 in the show's last few episodes this season, so that answers that question.

14. shokhead

I'm not sure she fully get's it what would happen to her parents.

junk likes this.
  15. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

Ugh! I've seen every episode but the season finale. I missed it. It usually shows up right away on my cable provider's On Demand, but it hasn't yet.

16. albert_m

albert_m Forum Resident

I finally saw it. Pretty good, albeit anti-climatic season finale. I remember liking, but not loving the first season and not overly excited about starting season 2, but things really started clicking on this
    show. Really consistent. Compare that to say, Homeland, where they had a lot of thought for the first season and then mostly a mess since.

17. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I think they should change the name of the show to House of Wigs. Good god, do the characters wear enough wigs, eyeglasses and costumes? It's hilarious up to a point.

Encuentro likes this.
  18. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

It's my least favorite aspect of the show.

19. kwadguy

Speaking of which, what did Philip tell Martha after he took off his wig in front of her? I presume he didn't tell her he was a Russian spy.

It's a bit hard to believe (read: impossible to believe) that Martha would not have figured out her "husband" had this wig Velcro'd to his head.

20. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Sometime last season, Martha commented that "Philip" didn't really need to wear the toupee. Apparently, she hasn't noticed that he's wearing clear (prescription-free) glasses, either.

21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

what i have always wondered is where they keep all that stuff?

DigMyGroove and Vidiot like this.
  22. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

That drove me crazy that they didn't do anything with Martha in the finale- in a good and bad way, I guess.

23. kwadguy

Philip assuredly has a conscience, and emotion is starting to get in his way as a spy. The EST stuff. His reluctance to sleep with the teenage girl. The way he's handling Martha. His remorse at killing that computer programmer to take the focus off Martha. His unwillingness to allow Paige to be pulled into the Soviet program. Both his handler and his wife see that he may be getting soft.

This has been a theme since the beginning, but clearly the dissonance between Philip's role as a spy and assassin and his emotions is getting more pronounced.

At this point, he should probably have killed Martha, since she knows too much. But he hasn't. That will assuredly come back to haunt him.

GMfan87', marcb and JimC like this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Wait until the kids find the secret compartment in the garage with all the makeup kits, various guns, 47 wigs hanging on the wall, and the shortwave receiver tuned to Moscow...

shokhead likes this.
  25. etzeppy

etzeppy Forum Resident

I know it's silly but I like seeing all of the disguises. I get a kick out of all of the different looks they can throw down.

Vidiot likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.