Integrated tube amps (newer) with a mono switch?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Waymore, Apr 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Waymore

Waymore Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hi All,

I have a buddy who is considered upgrading to a new integrated tube amp and I’m helping him out with a bit of research. My question: Is anyone aware of a hi-fi manufacturer who currently produces an integrated tube amp with a mono switch? I believe some of the current solid state McIntosh integrated amps have a mono switch, but can’t seem to find a tube based product with this feature (but then again my knowledge base here is fairly limited).

What about separate phono stages with a mono switch? To date, the only one I’ve come across in online searches is the Luxman E-200. Are there any others that anyone is aware of?

My friend has acquired a pretty decent amount of mono pressings in his collection. We’re both aware of the Double Y cable solution, however, we both run vintage 1970’s receivers in our set ups (him a Marantz 2270 and me a McIntosh MAC4100) and as such those old timey mono switches come in handy. It sure would seem a lot easier to just press a button vs. having to mess around with cables, or run separate table with a mono cartridge.

Any feedback on this topic would be much appreciated!

2. chosenhandle

chosenhandle Forum Resident

Luxman SQ-38U has a mono switch.

3. TeflonScoundrel

TeflonScoundrel Forum Resident

Audio Research VSi60 has one too.

4. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

From what I can tell, both the Marantz 2270 and McIntosh MAC4100 have Preamp Out/Power In jacks. This looks like an interesting option for a mono/stereo switch, and is remote controllable. I'm considering putting it between my tube pre and power amp. But, don't both of these units have mono capability? Or, am I just seeing things/just for the tuner?

https://www.kabusa.com/msx1.htm

[​IMG]

5. subframe

subframe Forum Resident

PS Audio GCPH phono stage has a mono switch. It's neither tubed nor particularly good-sounding in my opinion, but it does have a mono switch :)

6. 56GoldTop

56GoldTop Forum Resident

I thought most of the Graham Slee units come with the option for a mono switch, not tube, either.

7. Waymore

That you all for the feedback! That Audio Research integrated looks awesome and the KAB device is worth researching.

8. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

Amongst other mods, I had a mono switch added to my hand-built Croft Micro 25/Series 7 pre/power combo by my local hi fi retailer before I purchased it. This combo has an all-tube preamp and a hybrid power amp with tube input stage and mosfet output. Not exactly all-tube, but fabulous sounding.

I also had the option of having the same mods done to the equivalent Croft Integrated, which combines everything within a single casing.

(If you check the Croft Acoustics website you'll see that there is the opportunity to spend far more than I did on hand-made Croft kit. I can also have my own kit upgraded if I wish.)

I also use the mono switch in conjunction with other sources - mainly CD. This is sometimes to fold down to mono because the stereo balance is awful, or to fold down to mono to bring out the vocals more clearly. Sometimes it's just for a bit of fun to see what happens when I fold down or to work out whether a mono mix is itself actually a fold-down.

For me, therefore, the problem with a separate phono stage with mono switch is that the mono switch can't be used with any other inputs.

I guess that the other question that I would ask is "Why an integrated amp and not a pre-power combo?"

9. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

There is a guy selling mono switch boxes here, if you can accept the additional RCAs and interconnects in the chain. I have one. Works fine.

Madlove likes this.
  10. NTO

NTO Active Member

The NVO SPA-IIMK2 and MK2 se tube phono preamps have a mono switch.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    Rolltide likes this.
  11. Waymore

Thanks for sharing the Croft suggestion. My friend is 100% vinyl playback which is why the phono stage with a mono switch thought came from- i.e., no need to deal with other sources. Regarding integrated vs separates: I think he has some concerns about not having enough space (although this could probably be sorted out) and the perception that an integrated amp will be more affordable.

12. Waymore

Would you happen to have a link to one of these?

13. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

14. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

15. sotosound

sotosound Forum Resident

I can't comment on affordability because I don't know your budget, but I do know that the Croft pre-power combo stacks nicely on a single shelf in my Target TT5 rack. So space isn't an issue.

On the cost front, apart from the Croft pre-power costing more to buy, there is also the need to connect the two components up with a pair of interconnects, which need to be good. That unfortunately pushes the cost up.

The separates are also, however, easier to modify since each case holds less circuitry.

Also, the Croft phono stage is a killer. It pulls all sorts of detail out, even from old 7" singles, but manages to combine this with all of the joy, richness and musicality that some solid state amps seem to lose in favour of being more analytical.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.