Does anyone own Audeze headphones???

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mtruslow, May 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtruslow

mtruslow Forum Resident Thread Starter

Opinions?

2. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

3. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

Great review in last month's Stereophile. Out of my price range.

4. ElvisCaprice

ElvisCaprice Forum Resident

5. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

Music Direct had a demo pair of LCD-2's for $200 off last Friday so I made an impulse buy. They arrived yesterday. I was expecting to receive an earlier revision, but as it turned out they are current rev. 3 spec and were manufactured in March 2014. So I'm pretty psyched. I listened to 3 records with them yesterday on my rig and those cans are clearly something special. My first set of headphones that cost more than $60 so obviously I don't have much experience in this arena. But music is sounding super sweet on them. I'm incredibly happy. Maybe a little rolled off on the treble but I was so wowed by the sound I didn't care at all. The cable is a bit microphonic and the cans are heavy so preclude headbanging too hard. But I was sufficiently able to--and inspired to--rock out.

If anyone can recommend an aftermarket cable that you can't hear when tapped or moved and that won't break the bank, I'd love to hear it.

mikeyt likes this.
  6. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

The Grado extension cable is pretty nice. I have one and the quality is superb.

Wally Swift likes this.
  7. Natt

Natt Forum Resident

They're superb. They sound great (great tonal balance, fast, transparent, really deep bass, clear highs) , and they're easy enough to drive too.

8. fumi

fumi Forum Resident

I've always wanted a pair of these. Are they really that good? Someone once said that it's the closest experience to room speaker listening possible.

9. dynamicalories

dynamicalories Forum Resident

I'm actually using the Grado extension cable, it's the one that connects directly to the headphones that causes some bumping noise.

10. RonW

RonW Forum Resident

I don't know what could of happened to it. I've had mine for years now no problem.

11. FritzL

FritzL Adrift & Dumbfounded

I am listening to a borrowed pair and think they are superb. I am driving them with the headphone section of a Marantz integrated amp and get plenty of volume.
    Would a headphone amp to anything to improve the sound quality?

12. Wally Swift

Wally Swift Yo-Yoing where I will...

Me too and I agree.

RonW likes this.
  13. ROLO46

ROLO46 Forum Resident

Try tying a knot in the cable, this works for lavaliere microphones, and may change the cord compliance .
    These cans sound good, they are big and heavy though
    Can't contemplate a long session with them ,can easily on HD650s
    Very expensive cans don't really make any sense,I would love a pair of HD800, but will never spend 1000 quid.
    Even used they go for 700 quid!
    You can buy an excellent active pair of LS for that!

14. tribby2001

tribby2001 Forum Resident

15. razerx

razerx Forum Resident

LCD-X user here. Love it

16. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I disagree here - it's a relatively cheap way of getting a top class system that doesn't bother anyone else.

17. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

I have LCD2 at home. The Grado extension cable is handy. They pop. I have zero buyers remorse.

18. Natt

Natt Forum Resident

19. Larry I

Larry I Senior Member

I like both their open back and their closed back phones a lot. If I had to pick, it would probably be the closed back model LCD-XC. These are on the quite "warm" sounding side with an emphasis on bass. If you have not heard many top end phones, audition the Audeze and the Sennheiser HD-800--these are two phones that stand near the polar ends of warm vs. "detailed" and bright. Most phones will fall somewhere in the middle.

For less money, I personally like the Alpha Dog phones that have the 3d printed back cups. These are on the warmer side, but not as much as the Audeze phones. Not just a good bargain, they are good phones without qualification.

20. marcan

marcan New Member

Got the LCD2 rev2. Great cans. First that makes better bass than good speakers. Still very precise without being bright. The amp is very important. Also it has to be fully balanced. It really makes them two times better. Then you can really get what they can offer. I use the Bryston BHA-1 and it's a bliss. Only problem, I had to change the DAC because it wasn't on par.
    I think that part of the headphone choice is related to the level you are listening. If you want to crank up sometimes, I found the HD800 unbearable and the audeze gorgeous.

mikeyt likes this.
  21. I have a few headphones that would probably be classed as fair or better and the LCD3 is nearly always my default phone of choice. I really don't notice the weight and find them non fatuiging for reasonably long periods. To get the best from them do do need a good amp though.

22. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

LCD2 driven by a Schiit Valhalla 2 amp. Love those things.

23. planet

planet New Member

LCD-X owner here, currently driven by a nice little Dangerous Source, with a Headamp GS-X Mk. II inbound next week. Pretty excited. :)

I use two accessories for comfort:
    1) an aftermarket cable (Q-cable in my case)
    2) a flexible suspension band made by Lohb@Head-Fi

24. marcan

marcan New Member

Should be great. What's your DAC?

25. planet

planet New Member

The Dangerous Source is currently serving as both DAC and amp -- soon the DAC only. I think I'll upgrade to something else later, but I'm respecting the order of operations. Perhaps a Yggdrasil, once the hype burns off, and the truth is revealed -- or perhaps something a bit more affordable.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.