What's your turntable sit on?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by McIntosh, Mar 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

That seems like a pretty ideal situation for that particular table. I like the use of glass on the sand under the table. I doubt that you could find a better performing support. Normally glass is a no-go material for a turntable support but if it is really thick and well isolated, it's fine, even a very good choice. In the application that you have there, it is useful to efficiently transfer energy to the sand, which is what you want.
    -Bill

2. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Looks like someone noticed a 2002 thread and merged them.

Makes sense, I don't think that turntable isolation has advanced in "technology" at all. It's not like an advance in DAC technology where change can be significant!

3. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I use a Symposium Segue Iso, which sits on top of an oversized Terrastone platform (left over from when I had a VPI TNT) on top of a Salamander rack. I also have a plain Segue that I've tried and don't hear a difference. I don't have issues with footfalls, but I got the Iso for a deal so I tried it out. I don't know if the Terrastone makes a difference or not, but it would be a pain to remove so I've left it alone for now.

John K.

4. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

OK I was wondering.

5. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Mine sits inside my Kallax on a sliding shelf

6. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

I also have a PolyCrystal rack with 1 lower shelf and the top shelf like yours (UHD). Not for a turntable though - I had a heavy Sony XA777ES on top.

Over some years, the heat from the BAT VK50SE on the bottom shelf and the Sony on top ended up warping the UHD top shelf. I replaced it with a massive slab of steatite (soapstone) which made a huge visual improvement. This can never warp - it's a couple of inches thick.

I have a slide show at Photobucket.

http://s632.photobucket.com/albums/uu43/ghtoz/Soapstone_Shelf/?albumview=slideshow

[​IMG]

Master_It_Right and rbmitch2 like this.
  7. Alan2

Alan2 Forum Resident

Target table, which has a platform sitting on 4 spikes.

8. Jim G.

Jim G. Geezer with a nice stereo!

In the 70s I hung my AR turntable from the ceiling. The room had very bouncy floors, and this cured the skipping problem. I used chain from a light fixture swag kit. Four molly bolts in the ceiling. Little turnbuckles to level. The chains were attatched to a square board that the turntable sat on.

Alan2 and Gumboo like this.
  9. rbmitch2

rbmitch2 Forum Resident

Looks great - fortunately my shelves haven't warped.

10. Dentdog

Dentdog Forum Resident

I use my DIY butcher block 3 1/2 in, three shelves with brass threaded rod through them. My tt is a Salvation-Terminator linear tracking air bearing, made by Trans-Fi audio in England. I'm on hardwood floors on concrete in the basement. As far as I know, no vibration. Vic at Trans-Fi has come up with isolation feet that are magnetic levitation devices which is my next audio purchase. They just fit under your feet and the table floats on air. Well reviewed, very inexpensive.

11. BrokenByAudio

BrokenByAudio Forum Resident

HRS platform

12. Metralla

Now we are talking!!

BrokenByAudio likes this.
  13. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

That looks nice. If the monoblock butcher block bases were painted black, it look even neater IMO. Are those amps homemade?
    -Bill

14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

RP3 sits on old style (not the ones that look like Stillpoints) VooDoo Cable Iso-Pods (Rega feet removed), which sits on a PS Audio PowerBase, which sits on a Mapleshade Audio Samson Rack.

15. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Both my tables sit on custom granite shelves, I've tried just about everything else over the last 3 or 4 decades, they seem to like it best there.

16. Three, adjustable, cone shaped, solid metal mounts.

17. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

WAIT! WHAT? I don't see those listed on the website... am I missing something? This can be adapted to most turntables, or only to those of Trans-Fi manufacture?

18. Metralla

Those were made by Ron Welborne of Welborne Labs many years ago. They are the Laurel IIx with Jack Elliot's Electraprint traffos and chokes. A classic 300B SET design (before the DRD) with a 6SL7 driver and Mullard GZ37 rectifiers. I have the "Reference" model with upgraded parts. Ron did make these available in kit form, but mine were made by Ron himself and are signed inside. I have been through a few 300Bs but they were last running with Western Electrics.

They live in the cupboard now - I replaced them with Lamm ML2.1 SETs and what I show there is quite an old photo.

utahusker likes this.
  19. Boulder Bob

Boulder Bob Senior Member

I'm surprised no one has chimed in with the Barry Diament scheme.

[​IMG]

Starting at my inexpensive Lovan rack: 3 cooking pot lid replacement plastic cover knobs secured to the rack shelf by blu tack; 3 regular glass marbles: 18 X 18 ceramic floor tile, smooth side down, marble is best, must be smooth; 18 X 18 inner tube; 5/8" solid pine board (made from 2 boards, left over from another rack project); VPI HW-19 Jr.

I level it by moving the position of the turntable on the pine board.

struttincool likes this.
  20. Metralla

Very inventive

21. Boulder Bob

Invented by Barry Diament

22. Metralla

Made well known here by Barry, but it was a known tactic prior to his posts on the topic.

23. Sabciu

Sabciu Member

[​IMG] Mine sits on a 3" Tiger Maple Isolation Platform.

24. brooklyn

brooklyn I'm all ears

I had some 3/4 inch plywood lying around and cut two pieces to size. I glued them together and attached a veneer
    around it to finish it off, then stained it to match my DIY audio stand. I went to Lowes and bought 2 heavy duty large
    shelf brackets and attached them to the studs in the wall. The best thing I ever did for my VPI Scout.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jukes likes this.
  25. Boulder Bob

didn't know that - thanks for clarifying

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.