Japanese film recommendations please

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Todber, Oct 20, 2008.

1. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Kubricker likes this.
  2. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

If you're interested in Japanese gangster films, Arrow USA has released Massacre Gun with Joe Shishido and Tatsuya Fuji.

[​IMG]

3. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

It's out of print now, but Masters of Cinema's Blu-ray box of late Mizoguchi films is a towering achievement. Anyone lucky enough to find one now at something resembling a reasonable price should not hesitate, so long as Region B discs aren't a problem.

[​IMG]

acemachine26 likes this.
  4. I watched this one recently and left a little disappointed. I guess I was expecting a searing masterpiece like Branded To Kill and instead got a solid mob film.

5. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

As well as this one.

[​IMG]

6. Dave Garrett

I don't have that one yet - I've been holding out for a better price at Amazon UK, but it seems to have shot back up to a bit over GBP45 after being down around GBP29 as recently as last week. Should've probably just bit the bullet then instead of waiting and hoping it would drop a few more pounds. I've also read diametrically opposed reviews of the picture quality, with DVD Beaver claiming it was a significant upgrade over what was previously available, and others saying it looked pretty bad. I'm inclined to trust DVD Beaver over the naysayers.

7. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

I suppose some people expect them to have the clarity of a big studio production shot with a digital camera and 4K scan. I don't have those expectations from Japanese films done in the 1930s and I enjoy the films none the less. Here is another viewpoint if you haven't read it already from someone whose reviews I trust.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Mizoguchi-Collection-Blu-ray/36699/#Review

Dave Garrett likes this.
  8. MC Rag

MC Rag Forum Resident

I'm seeing it @ £25 right now: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mizoguchi-C...UTF8&qid=1429095169&sr=8-1&keywords=mizoguchi

9. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

I paid £29.16 in 2012

10. Dave Garrett

11. Dave Garrett

Well, the negative comments I was referring to were from people who seem to have had reasonable expectations given the preservation status of the films (I think preservation status is much more important than age, as a film shot 100 years ago can look spectacular if the source materials were well-preserved and transferred competently). Quoting two of the Amazon reviewers:

Since I have the Eclipse DVD set, I'll have to do a quick A-B comparison once the Blu set shows up. I've got the old Criterion laserdisc of Osaka Elegy as well, and neither it nor the Eclipse DVD have ever looked that great, but I'm certainly grateful that these films have survived in any viewable state.

12. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

I was thinking about doing that myself as I have that Eclipse set as well.

13. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Kaneto Shindo's The Naked Island

[​IMG]
    'Hadaka no shima' was made, in the words of its director, "as a 'cinematic poem' to try and capture the life of human beings struggling like ants against the forces of nature."

14. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

13 Assassins was pretty good.

You may like Tokyo Drifter or Sword of Doom,

15. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

I upgraded to the Criterion blu-ray's for Tokyo Drifter and Sword of Doom when released. If you are referring to Takashi Miike's 13 Assassins, I haven't seen it yet. If that is the one, you might want to check out the 1963 version by Eiichi Kudo along with his Eleven Samurai and The Great Killing.

16. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Yes, that's the one I was referring too. I'll keep your recommendations in mind. Thanks.

17. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Masahiro Shinoda's Assassination

[​IMG]

18. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

I'd like to see something not 60 years old with swords or kimonos. Any Japanese recommendations 2000-2015? No swords! :sigh:

19. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Battle Royale
    Brother
    Departures
    Dolls
    Eureka
    Hula Girls
    Inugami
    Marebito
    Nobody Knows
    Still Walking
    Tetsuo: The Bullet Man
    Tokyo Sonata
    Warm Water Under a Red Bridge

20. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

Awwww.....I like swords (and tsuba)! :winkgrin:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  21. Morpheus

Morpheus Forum Resident

Good Morning--Ozu
    Tokyo Story
    The Tale of the Princess Kaguya

22. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite"

Death Note

23. htom

htom Senior Member

The longer version was released on DVD in both Japan and the UK. 182 or 183 minutes, take your choice. A comparison was made here almost 9 years ago with an image from the longer version included.

Roninblues likes this.
  24. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Masahiro Shinoda's

[​IMG]

25. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

:thumbsup:
    Thanks. I've seen Battle Royale and the first Tetsuo but will seek the others.