POLL: What did you do with your original Three Stooges DVD's?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Baba Oh Really, Apr 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Baba Oh Really

Baba Oh Really Certified "Forum Favorite" Thread Starter

Before the economical, chronologically sequential Three Stooges box sets came out containing all of the shorts, there were many "themed" compilation DVD's released - and they were very, very expensive.

When all of the sequential box sets were released, what did you do with your original Three Stooges DVD's?

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I kept them as they are worthless.

3. Baba Oh Really

I kept mine for the following reasons:

* The packaging. And the fact that each disc gets it's own glorious case.
    * The memories of these being the only way to watch the stooges on DVD originally.
    * The themed collections flow well, and there isn't a "rigid" sequence to the films. Reminds me of watching them on TV back in the day.
    * Some of them had colorized versions, and the colorization was actually well done.

4. Michael

I bought them all one at time...I still have all of them. A reminder of how I should have waited...

5. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

I kept them and keep them at our summer home at Lake Erie for those rainy days when nothing is on TV. If I feel like watching other shorts while at the lake then I will take along a volume or two with me.

Baba Oh Really likes this.
  6. Baba Oh Really

Michael! The ability to watch these films years before the box sets came out was priceless!! I have the (original) columbia box set that has 12 volumes as well as several other "stand alone" releases that weren't in this box set. I think I bought the box set at Costco IIRC.

Michael likes this.
  7. Michael

I bought the individual box sets. Then the complete box with the "bonus" DVD! How nice of them...Then I bought another complete box for $22.00! I had to! it made a nice gift.

Baba Oh Really likes this.
  8. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I never had them

9. jjh1959

jjh1959 Senior Member

I kept them for most of the same reasons.....themed collections, etc. Also took me awhile to track them all down. I remember that box set of them at Costco that I didn't pick up and then never saw again. Found most of them used over the next few years, plus the volumes that weren't in the box and the movie discs. I also bought the yearly collections when they came out, before they then put them in a box with a bonus disc. Then I found the bonus disc someone was selling off separately. But I gave those away as a gift AFTER I bought the box for $23 when Best Buy blew them out. Including vhs, laserdisc, and now even bluray of some of their movies, I've certainly blown a bundle on these numbskulls.

10. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

I got rid of them ASAP... the newer (current) chronologies are the ULTIMATE !

Myke likes this.
  11. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I gave mine to my 8 year old nephew to turn him on to the stooges.
    I had 8 of them. Kinda grim having paid like 16 a piece for them.

12. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I only had one and gave it to my neighbor. Think I paid 6 bucks for it.

13. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

I bought the sets that were put out in the '00s as they came out, usually for $15-$20 each, but only managed to open the first one. I then bought the complete box set for $29 to get the "bonus" disc.

The original sets still sit on my shelf. I'll probably sell them off this summer, but I'm taking far too many titles to sell that are still shrink wrapped because a later, better edition came along, usually within a few years of the original set.

My DVD and Blu-ray buying has dropped considerably because of this.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  14. Dave Garrett

Dave Garrett Senior Member

That all sounds, uh, somewhat familiar. :hide:

I've also gotten a lot more selective about which bonus features or bonus discs I really need to have when a "new, improved" set is released.

15. Evan L

Evan L Beatologist

Gave 'em to a friend.

16. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I did not vote, because I only had the VHS tapes plus 4 Australian DVD compilations.

I kept the Australian discs because those are fairly rare in the US so they're neat to have. They're pretty packed too; even though they look terrible, they squoze something like 3+ hours of shorts on each disc. Besides, it's the Stooges. Unless I find someone who would really get excited about having my old Stooge videos, I'd rather just keep them in my collection since I've always been a big fan.

In fact, I still have the first ever Three Stooges video I ever owned: A VHS compilation of the three public domain titles on the Goodtimes label called "Simply Hilarious". Come to think of it, that may be the first pre-recorded VHS tape I ever owned.

In my house, you don't just toss the Stooges away.

17. Benno123

Benno123 Forum Resident

Speaking of the VHS tapes, I had TONS of the Stooges tapes and they were not played for years. I really didn't know what to do with them but I knew I needed the space. I ended up giving all of them - except the very first two Stooges tapes I ever owned, the ones my parents gave me on my 10th birthday in 1989 - to the local Veterans Home in Sandusky, Ohio. I also took a lot of other tapes and I never have seen as many happy guys as I did the day I took those tapes. As much as I hates giving up those tapes when I saw the looks and happiness in the voices of those who served I knew I made the right decision.

18. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

I never bought them because I hated the haphazard way they were compiled and I didn't care for colorized episodes and I despised the cartoon.

19. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Never fell for that mess. Waited until the chronological, remastered sets went on sale, and am still basking in their glory.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.