Digitally sourced vinyl that equals or betters the AAA original pressings.

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Classicrock, Apr 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member Thread Starter

That was quite common - RLJ Pirates same thing but MFSL can claim it's from analogue tape and omit any mention of digital on the reissue cover which IIRC is on the original cover. So original 'analogue' tapes can be AAA, ADA or DDA.

Slick Willie likes this.
  2. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

My understanding is that digital recordings from the 1970s-80s were mixed to analog tape so they could be cut to vinyl. Most vinyl mastering studios did not have the newly emerging digital playback equipment that they could feed to the cutting lathe.

By the late 1980s into the 1990s, when I was working in studios, I saw the studios archiving final mixes on DAT and CDs and other digital formats. This was done even if the tracks had been originally recorded to analog tape.

Tommyboy likes this.
  3. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

In fairness to MFSL, I don't think anyone is being misled here. Those SPARS codes used to be all over the place (usually on the longbox?), in fact I think some magazines (maybe ICE? Stereophile?) used to publish the SPARS code for every album they reviewed, so we all knew which albums were digitally mixed. The first pop album to be digitally recorded and famously touted as such, was Bop Til You Drop, with was 79 or 80. There were a few after that, but really not many in the early 80's. Digital mixing was more common, but still (at least based on my memory of those SPARS codes, very few until the 80's - for some reason, I remember Katy Lied as being one of the earliest digitally mixed pop albums, but I could be wrong on this. I think some people still think it makes a difference when the original analogue tape used to cut the record is utilized for a reissue, regardless of whether that tape went through a digital mixing stage.

All of which has nothing to do with the OP's question, of course, which is whether any reissues cut from digital files sound better than their AAA originals.

4. Rob9874

Rob9874 Forum Resident

This thread is addressing something I've been concerned about for a while: whether or not to keep buying reissues. I've been getting new reissues of classic albums because they're easy to find in new mint condition, they're remastered, 180g vinyl, etc. But now I'm thinking I want to stop this practice, and focus on searching for nice originals. I'm afraid that new digitally remastered versions are not different than CD. Not sure the needle playing a digital source would add that "vinyl experience".

Slick Willie and moon unit like this.
  5. moon unit

moon unit Forum Resident

I started doing this about six months ago and I have never looked back. I've learned to only search for the very best copies of originals and this takes some research but you will be glad you did. Most of them are simply a sonic revelation compared to what I was listening to before. There's a lot to be said for cutting from fresh tape.

I still buy new albums but they are mostly from Speakers Corner, MFSL and Analogue Productions.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  6. Classicrock

Not referring to Spars codes. The original vinyl states on the inner sleeve 'recorded on the 3M multi-track digital system'. The MFSL version omits this important bit of information. No doubt it was mixed down to an analogue master?

7. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I see. That's a very early digital recording! 1980, right? Anyway, if you're saying that the recording information that was present on the original inner sleeve is missing from the MFSL, then it does kind of seem that they are trying to fool people.

8. Classicrock

In spite of this it is a very good sounding recording. MFSL have reprinted everything else on the inner gatefold of their reissue bar the line about digital recording. There may be a reason for this - I suspect this is a hybrid but they are being evasive to say the least.

9. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Yes, those Nick Cave reissues are outstanding!

10. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I think most (at least pre-2000) were analog recordings. Push the Sky Away, although not part of this campaign, was a 96/24 recording and a good example of how good and "analog" some digital recordings can sound. The vinyl mastering sounds perfect to me.

11. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

This is tricky and I think about it as well. My observations is that some digital vinyl is getting so good that you can barely tell the difference if at all on SOME well done titles. . I try keep my reissue vinyl purchases at 80-90% for AAA reissues and 10-20% for reissues with digital in the chain somewhere. I also wouldn't say there is no difference from the CD, usually there is a significant difference even if cut from high res

I also listen to a lot of new music and purchase the vinyl mastering if done well (even if digital), I keep this to 20 titles a year and half of these NEW recordings are all analog.

When purchasing original pressings, I tend stay in the pre-80 era for music and sound preference. Plenty of 80s vinyl was AAA though.

One thing I observed while out this weekend is that vintage pressings keep going up in price around my area. In Atlanta, we have some pretty good record stores but some of the pricing I noticed this weekend was odd. At one place, I've purchased 2 titles about a year and a half ago for $7 and $8 respectively, I eventually sold them back to the same store about 6 months ago and they are now priced at $14 and $24 respectively. It seems stores are using Discogs as a gauge. I spent about 2.5 hours in the bins Saturday and found one record for $20 that met my standards and liking. Although, on the way out of the last store there was a NM copy of Sticky Fingers, original Preswell pressing for $20, which is lower than expected. I may head back for that one. Also, online prices for original vinyl is getting on the verge of ridiculous.

One that I put back was a NM/VG (Record/Cover) Black Sabbath - Paranoid for $15. I later went to Pop Market and ordered all 6 of the all analog reissues for $60 ($10 each). I'd prefer to have UK originals but I'd be well into the hundreds of dollars searching those down.

I've said this many times, we are fortunate to have so many well done reissues and original pressings around but pricing is just getting out of hand on originals and some reissues as well.

12. Luca

Luca Wolf under sheep clothing

Dire Straits "On Every Street" sure is a digital recording... but have a listen to the reissue vinyl from a couple of years ago and tell me if it doesn't sound sweet.

Shak Cohen likes this.
  13. Luca

Luca Wolf under sheep clothing

I agree that the vinyl reissue of Mellon Collie sounds great.

On the contrary, with Adore, I only partly agree. Yes, the original vinyl pressing is rather muddy: I keep it as a curio since it is mono, while the reissue is stereo. The original CD was not muddy at all (while a bit too compressed).

But the point is that Adore was recorded digitally, not analogue. There is an interview to Corgan which states so, and it's probably the reason why it wasn't reissued in 24/96 format for download.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/music/billy-corgan-smashing-pumpkins-adore-reissue/

14. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

If Sticky Fingers is NM, you'd better head back soon! :wave:

Tommyboy, mikeyt and Slick Willie like this.
  15. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I think I will, I only had a chance to glance at it as I was leaving in a hurry but it was clean with little to no spindle wear. It may have been VG++.

16. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

What all-analog reissues are you referring to? Black Sabbath? If so, what label and year were those? I was not aware of them.

17. delmonaco

delmonaco Forum Resident

I personaly like the Bee Gees first four LP Rhino reissues much better that the vintage pressings I have.

Turntable likes this.
  18. firefoxussr

firefoxussr Dynamic Range Enthusiastâ„¢

I'm back onto getting some vinyl after a rash of 24-bit releases of new pop music. This was mostly spurred by listening to the HDtracks Billy Joel collections, I played them direct via USB on my receiver and damned if it wasn't the best my stereo had sounded in a long time.

But this was just unreal how good it sounded.

I got suspicious.... I discovered that unlike my old MacBook Pro, my Mac Mini was still set to record at and output 16/44khz... so all of those needledrops I did for the last year or so were ... well you know. This was after carefully setting up Audacity for 24/96khz....

Felt dumb but was really happy cuz my Mac Mini was sounding you know, "eh okay I guess", thought it was VLC's fault. Nope. Code ID10T.

19. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

johnnypaddock likes this.
  20. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  21. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Bingo! We have a winner here....

Rob9874 likes this.
  22. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

I was just thinking about this when I visited my local record store after Record Store Day. It's hard to know the source material for most of the RSD issues. I'm more inclined to support labels like ORG, Acoustic Sounds and other labels that strive to release AAA reissues sourced from master tapes.

23. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Source material for the RSD is usually the original masters but most are cut from high res transfers. If you already have a good digital or analog version then there in no reason to really get it. If you do not and want it, get it.

24. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I'm not 100% sure Popmarket always advertises the label. These are the 180 gram "cut AAA" and to my knowledge Rhino is the only one that did them this way. Popmarket also sells a lot of Rhino lp bundles cut from analog masters (Talking Heads, Prince, etc.). I will try to report back. If they aren't as advertised I will return them.

johnnypaddock likes this.
  25. Shak Cohen

Shak Cohen Forum Resident

1/2" 30ips analogue was popular in the 80s and 90s, the sound of this format has a big, wide 'cinematic' soundstage and is sweet and dynamic. Was used for mixing down digital (to 'warm it up') or analogue multitrack.
    Generally I think most cutting studios would have preferred a DAT or CD-R as there was no 'lining up' or other variables involved with mastering from analogue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.