Who is your favorite one man band

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Mar 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Prince for me
    Stevie second

Of those not listed, don't forget Roy Wood's mate Jeff Lynne of ELO, Wilburys etc.

Mike Oldfield a good call too.

2. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Hasil RIP 10 years ago today.

3. October Man

October Man Extraordinary tunes from the hard drive

Bill Nelson.

4. bobc

bobc Bluesman

Gotta be Jesse Fuller!

5. badsneakers

badsneakers Well-Known Member

Karl Wallinger

BluTom likes this.
  6. ElevatorSkyMovie

ElevatorSkyMovie Senior Member

Burt from Mary Poppins.

7. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

I'd agree with that. My answer to this question is Emitt Rhodes, since he was actually a pretty good drummer (having started his professional music career as drummer for The Palace Guard).

Playing both guitar and bass doesn't impress me. Who can't do that (at least to some level of competency)? Add keyboards and I'm still not too impressed, but I'm getting there. Add drums to all that and I'd admit to being impressed.

In some ways the drumming is key to making it sound professional, since amateurish drumming tends to REALLY draw attention to itself even more than other instruments do.

Of the four listed above Rundgren's drumming on Something/Anything is too amateurish for me to give him props (although his drumming may have improved on later albums - I don't know as I haven't heard them) as a multi-instrumentalist (however the drumming on S/A does have a have a certain charm to it for some reason, and the songs themselves are so strong that maybe that allows one to forgive the limited drumming somewhat).

McCartney's drumming is weird for me. Sometimes he plays competently (not great or anything, but certainly not amateurish sounding AT ALL), while in other instances he can sound amateurish almost to the point (on rare occasions) of embarrassing himself.

Pete is competent enough on drums (certainly for demos) but I don't think he's done the one man band thing on any proper solo albums - just the Scoops and the comp of his contributions to the IIRC three Meher Baba albums - Who Came First - all of which were compilations of demos, not originally intended for (at least wide) release. He may have recorded some things specifically for the Meher Baba albums, but those were mail-order only.

Stevie Wonder certainly has the drumming down (along with keyboards and harmonica) but anything else you hear on his records (guitar, bass and horns) ain't him!

8. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Reggie Watts. I had to pick other.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.