Poll: 'Hounds of Love' album by Kate Bush, the Queen Of British Pop in your collection?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AdamCalifornia, Apr 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

All studio albums from "The Kick Inside" up to "Aerial". Hardly listen to "The Red Shoes".

2. ryno

ryno Forum Resident

All the studio albums plus most of the vinyl singles. My 3 favourite Kate albums are The Dreaming, Hounds Of Love & Director's Cut.

3. Andrew Russe

Andrew Russe Forum Resident

I have all the studio albums. Have owned a copy of Hounds of Love ever since the day it came out - completely blew my mind when I got it home. I already had The Man With The Child In His Eyes single, and a cassette of Lionheart that I got on its release - but the intervening albums didn't really grab me.

Hounds of Love, though... gosh.

SO much so that I bought Sensual World when it came out - didn't grab me.

I might be weird, I LOVED Red Shoes and still do...

Arial has its moments, some of them sublime.

When we were sat on tickets waiting for her show last year, I filled all the gaps in the collection, getting it all on CD. I kinda like the early ones I was missing. Don't mind Sensual World now. 50 words leaves me a bit unmoved, though.

I haven't bothered with any compilations or the remixed/redone stuff.

She's a one-off. I have ALWAYS been fascinated by her and her creativity, ever since Wuthering Heights on Top of the Pops (which I didn't and still don't like at all!! - but there was enough there for me to go "hang on, this person is a bit special"). I'll accept ANYTHING she does - even if it doesn't grab me. :D

4. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Yikes, I only ever listen to Side 2 of HOL. Side 1 is a bore in comparison (says the man who finds ONJ's "Come On Over" LP compelling from start to finish). :cool:

5. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Come On Over is far from being my favourite ONJ album, but I'll take it any day over Hounds Of Love!

6. I have all of her studio releases on vinyl, many of which on multiple pressings. I'd have to look through my collection to give specifics, but I'm too lazy right now. Regarding Hounds of Love I have the Canadian and AF pressings, and I enjoy this album a lot. My favourite album however continues to be The Kick Inside (Canadian, Japanese, UK).

7. wrighty47

wrighty47 Forum Resident

One of my fave albums of the 80's, nay of all time. Side 2 (The Ninth Wave) is a stunning piece of music that I'd stand against any single side of any LP, ever!

I have
    1985 UK LP
    1985 U.S. Marble vinyl LP
    1997 CD with bonus tracks
    2014 Audio Fidelity Purple vinyl LP

carrick doone likes this.
  8. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

The Audio Fidelity issue of this album was my cue to get into Kate Bush's music. Obviously I knew of her, but had never really delved in. Very glad I did as she is now in my personal top ten artists. HOL is just an astonishing album, creatively on a different level to 99% of what's out there.

marblesmike likes this.
  9. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I know that everyone raves about side 2 of this album but I really don't like it, but then I am a pop person so I prefer side 1 with the singles. Arial is a brilliant album but it took me a good few plays to get into it.

10. groovelocked

groovelocked Forum Resident

Hounds was my first Kate (cassette, later CD then remastered CD, more recently AF LP 2nd pressing). Also have a couple singles- This Woman's Work, Experiment IV, Don't Give Up.

I connected strongly with Hounds of Love and it remains an all-time fave. I looked for that connection in her other albums- The Kick Inside, Never For Ever, Lionheart, The Dreaming, but did not find it and as much as I love her voice on many songs, the albums overall were too.... I guess arty or sophisticated for me. Later, I liked The Sensual World but not enough to keep it. The Red Shoes was awful, and I've never listened to Snow, Arial or Directors Cut (might pick it up someday).

11. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Is it weird then that Kate and ONJ are my two favorite female solo artists? :tiphat:

12. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Yes. I enjoy all her stuff and what some people would even consider her mediocre releases.
    Hello Earth is killer.

13. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

There's not a lot of similarity between them, so I suppose it might seem weird to some on here, yes!:)

14. Sammy Waslow

Sammy Waslow Just watching the show

15. julotto

julotto Forum Resident

Big Kate fan since buying Babooshka on 7 inch back in 1980 when I was about 14. I have all her official albums and a complete CD and vinyl collection with lots of rare stuff. Hounds of Love is great but my favorite Kate album of all time is The Dreaming. To me this is Kate at her absolute creative peak. Just saw an interview with Steven Wilson who pointed out that a song from this album influenced him to use a boys choir on his new album.

16. skateaway

skateaway Forum Resident

I have a lot of her albums on first issue Japan CDs:

The Kick Inside
    Lionheart
    Never For Ever
    The Dreaming
    Hounds Of Love
    The Whole Story

Plus the UK CD of Sensual World and the remastered Red Shoes.

I like them all but for me the hidden gem is Never For Ever, just a great great album and IMO the best SQ as well, both from a production and mastering perspective.

17. JustVinyl

JustVinyl Forum Resident

All studio albums on CD plus This Woman's Work box set.
    All studio albums (excluding for Aerial and The Red Shoes, including The Whole Story), On Stage and some singles on vinyl.
    Hi-res download of 50 Word For Snow.

I would like to fill in the gaps for vinyl including This Woman's Work but generally cost is a problem ...

18. Alan1074

Alan1074 Forum Resident

I've got about 7 copies of it on CD and vinyl, plus the very rare 10" single.

19. phish

phish Jack Your Body

I've got a cd, a pressing got in college in 1989 and a couple copies on vinyl, including the AF release and the vinyl that is gray/pink marbled which is an original pressing I believe.

20. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Gray colored vinyl copy of HOL in the collection of course.

21. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Five LPs no doubles and no CDs.

22. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I own everything except This Woman's Work, The Whole Story, Director's Cut and the live album that I didn't know about until this thread. Looking it up, the live album is a video which explains why I never heard of it.

Hounds of Love is the first album I bought when it came out. I heard of her about 6 months after The Dreaming came out. I have everything up to Hounds of Love on vinyl and everything on CD, except those I don't own. I rarely listen to any of Red Shoes and later. Of the albums before Red Shoes, I rarely listen to Lionheart and Hounds of Love. In fact, I only recently bought Hounds of Love on CD and I've listened to it once since buying it. I've only had a turntable set up sporadically since the early 90s so I've probably only listened to it once in the last 25 years.

23. MadamAdam

MadamAdam Forum Resident

It was issued as a limited CD only with the VHS.

24. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Wiki is simply wrong for once!

Thanks

25. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Rather than bump the thread about the live shows and get everyone's hopes for a DVD up only to dash them, I thought I'd bump this one with the news that Kate's music is now part of the "A" level exams. Specifically in "Popular Music and Jazz":
    • Courtney Pine, Back in the Day: Inner State (of mind), Lady Day and (John Coltrane), and Love and Affection
    • Kate Bush, Hounds of Love: Cloudbusting, And Dream of Sheep, and Under Ice
    • Beatles, Revolver: Eleanor Rigby, Here, There and Everywhere, I Want to Tell You, and Tomorrow Never Knows
    The syllabus is available as a PDF here.

My collection of Kate's work is off the scale of the poll, and includes things that Kate has forgotten she recorded.

Pointless Kate trivia? She never did her "A" level exams. She did however get 10 "O" levels.

JP Christian likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.