78 Finds

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bodine, Jun 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bodine

bodine Senior Member Thread Starter

Latest 78 haul down south:

Elmore James--Please Find My Baby/Strange Kinda Feeling (Flair)

Sleepy John Estes--Brownsville Blues/New Someday Baby (Decca)

Little Brother Montgomery--Vicksburg Blues No. 2/Mama You Don't Mean Me No Good (Bluebird)

Bukka White--Shake Em On Down/Pinebluff Arkansas (Vocalion)...sadly, long crack

2. bodine

bodine Senior Member Thread Starter

And in recent pickups from eBay:

Jackie Brenston and Ike Turner--Rocket 88 on Chess

Howlin' Wolf--Moanin' at Midnight/How Many More Years on Chess

Joe Hill Louis--Feel Like A Million/Heartache Baby on Modern

Naughty Chord likes this.
  3. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

I know this is an old thread but NO.
    They are 78's. The dynamic range is going to be very poor.

4. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Wrong. Mint condition 78's when played with the right sized needle sound amazing. RCA's cuttings were supurb.

Of course, *FINDING* mint condition 78's is another story.

Naughty Chord and winopener like this.
  5. wildroot indigo

wildroot indigo Forum Resident

Pencil Papa Blues / Osceola Blues - Charles Booker (OKeh 8155)

From 1924, I don't think this has ever been reissued... surprisingly relaxed and warm alto sax blues solos, with unidentified piano and banjo accompaniment. Osceola Blues has a beautiful minor key section.

6. wildroot indigo

Senorita Mine / How Could I Be Blue? - Blue Grass Foot Warmers (Harmony 206-H)

Charleston Hound / Old Folks' Shuffle - Blue Grass Foot Warmers (Harmony 248-H)

1926... great jazz records by a Clarence Williams band with washboard: three tracks are co-written by Fats Waller, though he's not on the sessions.

7. lightbulb

lightbulb Not the Brightest of the Bunch

I am envious of you all.
    It may be just a rash case of collector's envy...
    But as the years pass by, these works of art seem to be forgotten artifacts that must be preserved as much as possible.

To have survived for almost one whole century, with the ever-pending threat to be dumped in a landfill is a shame.

8. wildroot indigo

East St. Louis Toodle-oo / Jubilee Stomp - The Washingtonians (Cameo 8182)

East St. Louis Toodle-oo / Jubilee Stomp - Whoopee Makers (Perfect 14962)

1928... two sets of takes from a session by Duke Ellington and His Orchestra: if I'm not mistaken, those on Perfect originally appeared on Pathe Actuelle. Perfect records are a great way to pick up master pressings of music that's much rarer on Pathe.

There are also two issued takes of Take It Easy from this session (I don't have those on 78rpm).

9. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

What do RCA's cuttings have to do with anything? When I spin Elvis on 78 it's on SUN, baby.

(Actually, I only have two Elvis 78s, and the other is "Playing For Keeps", and, no, it ain't mint).

10. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

11. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I recently added my 78s to my collection data base, and alphabetized them for the first time in years, and found I'd actually purchased several titles twice!

12. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

13. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I have heard Sun Elvi, and they are amazing with the proper needle. I have also been told that same needle is best for Sun 45s as well.

14. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

I've found I have to use a 78 stylus to get good sound out of my original Little Richard Specialty Lps, and they are visually in nice shape.

15. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

I'm reluctant to buy more records (approaching "hoarder" status) but this weekend I could not pass up, for $15, a Columbia Masterworks "tombstone" album of Brahms' Second Symphony by Walter Damrosch and the NY Symphony. Pressed on Royal Blue shellac, complete with booklet, and in lovely condition. Not a common set.

Steve Hoffman likes this.
  16. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

By my avatar one might conclude I dig playing my 78's :agree: Probably the weirdest one I own is this...

[​IMG]

Walter H and Michael Manning like this.
  17. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

I was a bit surprised to see those sixteenth-notes at the top of the label. Surely CBS would not have been pleased by what they may well have seen as infringement of its "Magic Notes" trademark!

18. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Columbia had not used the notes motif for over 20 years when this promo was issued in 70

Walter H likes this.
  19. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

Until the 6-eye label in 1958, Columbia LP labels had a small notes-plus-microphone, usually at six o'clock.

[​IMG]

Maybe a little later (not sure of the years) but more prominently, the notes were on "Discos Columbia" labels (made by Miami Records, licensed from Columbia.)

[​IMG]

20. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Just to point out the obvious, the Columbia TM is for the microphone and notes in double circles. They could not have TMed the image of the notes alone.

21. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

Although it looks like on the Discos Columbia label they're claiming the notes alone as a trademark (see 8 o'clock position). But yes, they may not have been able to sustain a claim based on just the notes.

22. Perisphere

Perisphere Forum Resident

This version of the Columbia logo was used by Denon in Japan for decades afterward....not long ago I saw a photo of a tape reel with this logo molded into it.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.