PONO Feedback? Anyone have one yet?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Ephi82, Nov 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Douglas

Steve Douglas Forum Resident

Not working for me, and for "Checkout" there's only the one button....;)

2. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Remember to use your email address as your log in username and your password is your password.

3. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

In-ears (also called IEM for in ear monitor) are tricky to get a good fit. You may have to try various sizes, shapes, and styles of tips to find ones that fit your ears correctly with the particular IEMs you're using. You can end up spending as much on new tips to try as you spent on the actual IEM, all in the effort to find a good fit. Especially if your ear canals are shaped differently from each other (and that's not uncommon).

An over ear headphone that I've been using with my Pono is the Brainwavz HM5. In the UK there is a version by Lindy called the HF-100 Premium. However, it is not foldable. And while it is a closed headphone it does not block noise as well as some other over ear closed headphones. It does sound good with the Pono.

4. Steve Douglas

To hear the Pono difference, please visit your local retailer and ask for the Pono demo.

Jeez. Looks like I'm not buying a Pono after all....:(

5. Last edited: Apr 26, 2015
  6. rburly

I didn't look to see where you live. You have to have a credit card with a US address to buy anything from them right now.

7. Ham Sandwich

Have you tried the PM-3 with the PonoPlayer?
    I got to try the PM-3 at a head-fi meet yesterday. Tried it with my Pono single-ended. And was unimpressed. It didn't deliver the Pono magic I'm after. The sound was a bit dead like it was overdamped. It may do better in balanced mode. I'll give it another try at a dealer when I get a chance. But I doubt a dealer would have a custom balanced cable for it so I could try it balanced with the Pono. I also need to try the PM-2. It may be that the PM-2 would be better suited for me. Won't know till I try.

8. Nope, haven't heard a PonoPlayer yet. I've been listening to my PM-3's hooked up to an Oppo HA-2 hooked up to an iPhone 6 Plus, using the Onkyo HF Player to play hi-res tracks. Sounds awesome!

Brother_Rael likes this.
  9. uncle b

uncle b Forum Resident

Not piling on here, I truly want to experience a Pono player, but...

My entire attempt to purchase a Pono player (after much deliberation), has been a long, drawn-out e-commerce comedy of (buggy website) errors!
    I finally decoded the whole "create an account" fiasco (you know the first point where buyers say "Yes, I am interested in your product and would like to ultimately purchase your product, send it to me here, after you secure my money"), after much confusion and trial-and-error.
    I then asked a "support ticket" question through Pono customer service regarding their return policy (because return policy and warranty coverage is NOWHERE TO BE SEEN on their site), and was rather promptly replied that yes, there are return policy and warranty windows (30 days and 1 year, respectively). With such staggering amounts of middling reviews and outright Internet cynicism (that I am doing my best to ignore in the quest for a better sounding DAP), I didn't want to feel if I discovered this thing to be a total $399 charlatan wrapped in black matte plastic, I really wanted Neil Young to accept my return package, if I so choose!
    I pulled the trigger, and entered all pertinent shipping and payment info, and clicked the "buy" button/point of no e-commerce return (unless/until I chose to do so!)...only to have the screen go blank, and no e-mail confirmation, invoice, or record of the transaction delivered.
    After seeing my credit card had been pre-authorized for the amount of the player, I filled out another "support ticket" to see if my order was truly received or not. The reply was "no, the order was not received", and yes, the website was experiencing some problems "today". I have chosen to wait to re-order the player until that pre-authorization drops of my credit card, and it is giving me ample to time to reconsider this purchase, which I ultimately may or may not make.
    I think all of us here (and on other hi-fi forums) can agree that many of our music and equipment purchases are spur-of-the-moment and passionate, though strangely thought-out and sometimes somewhat misguided.
    Though I remain convinced I want to experience one and want it to be quality, the whole Pono website has given me the ultimate pause before purchase!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    Lost In The Flood likes this.
  10. rburly

Wow! I'm really sorry that they're having problems. I haven't been real active on their site recently, but I downloaded a new version of PMW because "We've been experiencing problems with our web site recently." You're obviously one of the people who have had to struggle with "problems with the web site." My advice to you is to give them today and/or tomorrow to fix their problem and answer your questions. They do have an "800" number you can call for support, and this might be the best route for you.

Those of us who have had the PonoPlayer can attest to the sound quality, and for me for portability. I think if you call Pono that you'll get much more satisfaction than the debacle you've been through so far. Again, sorry for their inconvenience to you. They should comp you with a free download or something, but don't hold your breath.

11. uncle b

uncle b Forum Resident

That's exactly what I am gonna do! Like I said, didn't mean to be too dramatic about everything. They haven't taken my money/not delivered/slow service or shipping/non-existent customer service/or any other problems many of us have experienced. I can tell they are actually trying, and some of the bugs are just being worked out on their e-commerce end! I still remain interested in the Pono, and thanks to positive statements from people like yourself, will continue to pursue one.

rburly likes this.
  12. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

My 1st purchase on the Pono store for music was a little jinky and I could not get Neil Young On the Beach to download for a day or so. Past that I have had no real issues beyond the poor browsing/search design on their website. I have made maybe 6-8 purchases with no further problems.

I'm actually really pleased with the PW software that you can get for free. Looks like a version of the JRiver software and it has some nice tools built in for conversion and audio analysis. I can drop in a SACD ISO and generate tracked out 24/192 FLAC files quick and easy, plus tag them with the audio levels and DR rating. I have had some weirdness trying to use the software to synch with the Pono for adding music though. It seems to pick on an album or two each time and re-copy the files over, so there are multiple copies taking up space on the player. I had 3x versions of the Ace of Spades files before I noticed what was going on. So for now I have been tagging/organizing my 24bit and 16bit lossless files with their software, but then side loading the player.

Speaking of the player, I ordered it from Frys, which is about 1.2 miles away from my office, and was able to pick it up about 15 minutes later. Sorry that you have had a rougher go at it. My biggest hurdle was getting my iMac to recognize the player for some reason, but after magically unplugging and re=plugging it in a few times, the drive was recognized and I was able to get the v1.0.5 firmware installed which seems to have helped the stability of the player/CPU interactions some. Still very slooow file load times. Generation 2 player needs USB 3.0 etc and a better battery.

I *LOVE* my Pono so far. Only bad thing I can say (aside from points above) is that it has triggered off another round of rip the CD collection since my 256-320 mp3's now seem a bit poot. I'm trying just to rip the "key titles" and bands so far, but eventually I'll fall headlong into a pit of ripping thousands of discs just to have the "complete" collection backed up lossless. Sigh.

13. uncle b

uncle b Forum Resident

[QUOTE="KDubATX, post: 12249624, member:

I *LOVE* my Pono so far. Only bad thing I can say (aside from points above) is that it has triggered off another round of rip the CD collection since my 256-320 mp3's now seem a bit poot. I'm trying just to rip the "key titles" and bands so far, but eventually I'll fall headlong into a pit of ripping thousands of discs just to have the "complete" collection backed up lossless. Sigh.[/QUOTE]
    I have to admit, that thought is a little scary. My whole library about 1.25TB is encoded in ALAC from hard copy CD's. Not sure if I will want/need to re-encode so much stuff again, as it's already been a part-time, unpaid job to get to this point!

14. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

ALAC is lossless, you don't need to re-rip.

15. uncle b

uncle b Forum Resident

I know, I just thought I may get sent on some quest for some mythical "higher-quality" lossless codec, which I know there is, but have no interest in exploring! Looking to quell the insanity upgrading!

16. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

That doesn't exist, lossless is lossless.

goodiesguy and sunspot42 like this.
  17. Ham Sandwich

The PM-3 does sound good. Just the wrong style and flavor of sonics for what I'm after with the Pono. The Pono excels at delivering a spatial and potentially deep soundstage along with a certain style of relaxed naturalness in the sound. The PM-3 doesn't play to those qualities as well as I'd like. The PM-3 seems more tuned for portable on-the-go listening. I'm after a portable friendly headphone that's more tuned to give me a home listening experience rather than a portable listening experience. The PM-3 doesn't seem to be what I'm looking for. I'll try a PM-2 next, and hopefully I'll be able to try it balanced.

18. uncle b

uncle b Forum Resident

You know I am glad to hear and know that!

Gabe Walters likes this.
  19. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Once I have the lossless backups I have to wonder what I am holding some of
    ...at least until they figure out a way to upsample the 16/44 into an infinite 3d surround hologram

20. Steve Douglas

I asked this question a few pages back on this thread, and the only response I got was from one person in the UK who said he's bought one with no problems. So after looking forward to this for a couple of months, is it the case I can't give them my money and have to buy a player from another company?

21. Ham Sandwich

I wonder if you could buy one through an Ayre dealer in the UK?

Steve Douglas likes this.
  22. darkmass

darkmass Forum Resident

Have you given the NAD VISO HP50 a listen? They unfortunately cannot be run balanced, but maybe the Paul Barton "Roomfeel" design will give you some of what you're looking for with the Pono.

rburly likes this.
  23. rburly

As mentioned below, the only way you could buy one is if there is a brick and mortar store that has one available.

24. Ham Sandwich

I haven't tried it with the Pono yet. I should.

25. rburly

I have the NAD Viso HP50 cans that sound fantastic. I don't know if I'm taking a big chance when I put them in balanced mode on my PonoPlayer, but they sound great that way. I always get the little Warning sign, but I think that always pops us when Balanced Mode is chosen. I put the left cord in the headphone jack and the right one in the lineout. The sound difference is always night and day and the soundstage is wide open and I get that 3D effect.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.