Neil Young - The Monsanto Years - out on 16 June 2015

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Les Nougat, Apr 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Wrong.

ARK likes this.
  2. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I liked Psychadelic Pill, but I would have loved it if some of the songs were edited, and if the production was better. One song contains distracting whistling throughout the song, and another uses that "flanging" effect which --used sparingly--can enhance a song's appeal. But Neil uses it throughout the length of the song, rendering it almost unlistenable....

3. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I have discovered that "Driftin' Back" is one of the best morning shower songs ever created. I am already showered and shaved and into teeth brushing by the time he contemplates getting a hip hop haircut. I am out the door for work before the song ends.

I find myself going back to "PP" all the time. I don't think that is merely a Pavlovian response based on my feelings about "Rust Never Sleeps" and "Ragged Glory". :)

Yorick, ARK, JoeRockhead and 4 others like this.
  4. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Everything you’re criticizing is part of everything that makes this album great to me. Along with Americana, a pure no-compromise all-analog portrait of a really interesting moment of struggle and renewal in the Neil Young/Crazy Horse saga. Somewhere in the universe David Briggs is dead and totally digging it. And the tour this music kick-started was basically a supreme rock masterpiece.

5. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

I Am a Child - even Neil would say he's still fighting in his own way against adults (authority who knows what's best for you) his whole deal is to not let others tell you how to live, what to do, etc. When people come off as "I'm right your wrong" it gets a little old. It's just one of those fun things we as fans get sit back and watch, kind of like watching politicians. Neil just looks more unkept (he wouldn't want to align himself in anyway with em)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  6. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

The fact is anyone who puts themselves out there so vocally (Lennon, Crosby, Young, hell even Mike Love) are going to be easy targets, that's just the way it is, some will love em and some won't really care for what they have to say. But Neil's a big boy, he can take it.

Mooserfan likes this.
  7. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Well, he of course a contradiction in some ways. That's what happens when you speak your mind too often and the media picks it up, or you purposely put it out there.

melstapler likes this.
  8. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

I would love to hear a live document of that tour, as well as his more recent acoustic Carnegie Hall shows.
    As for Briggs "totally digging it?" I'd like to think that a living Briggs would have reined in Neil's more self-indulgent tendencies displayed on those--and other recent albums....

davers, JoeRockhead, EVOLVIST and 2 others like this.
  9. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Neil listened to Briggs, but only when he felt like it. There's no guarantee Briggs would have been a huge presence/influence on some of these more recent albums.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  10. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Neil is one prolific man.

ARK likes this.
  11. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

You're right. But there was a consistency to the quality of Neil Young's work when Briggs was alive that is sorely lacking these days. But we'll never know.

warewolf95 and JoeRockhead like this.
  12. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead Forum Resident

Probably didn't help that you brought your own elitist attitude to the thread. The 'I'm a bigger fan than you and anyone who doesn't think he sucks now is a fanboy/shill' routine.

warewolf95, Zeki and RayS like this.
  13. Give 'em hell Neil! :righton:

melstapler likes this.
  14. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Even if Briggs was still around Neil might still be at this particular point in his life when he wants to churn out albums as quickly as possible and tackle social issues. I'm alright with it. Yeah, there have been some albums I really didn't care for over the past decade or so ("Chrome Dreams II", "Le Noise", that phone booth thing, "Snoozedale") but there's been plenty that I've really liked ("Fork In The Road", "Storytone", "Living With War", "Prairie Wind") so I'm okay with what's going on. And the albums I hate the other guy loves, so Neil's always connecting with SOMEBODY, just maybe not everybody at the same time as he once did.

I'm all for him spitting out as much material he can before the machine inevitably screeches to a halt. Maybe it was his brain surgery scare that alerted him to the fact that he has to say as much as he can before it's too late. He has been kind of relentless in his release schedule since that event. And we should be thankful. We can sift through these albums years from now and find the jewels embedded them. Hell, how long did it take for people to realize "Landing on Water" was a masterpiece?!?

(*crickets*)

Well, I sure like it, anyway. And it took me awhile. Maybe someday I'll listen to "Chrome Dreams II" and not be repulsed (seriously, "Ordinary People" should have been saved for the 'Archives'. And "No Hidden Path"? I mean, I can almost hear Ralph snoring behind the drum kit at the 10 minute mark). ;)

As much as I'd love another Neil Young masterwork like "Sleeps With Angels" I don't really expect him to ever reach those dizzying heights of genius again. That's probably asking too much. So I go into each album with a healthy attitude and hope for the best. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I don't, but I'm always willing to gamble that $10 on the newest Neil Young CD to find out. It's not that much to ask (through the vinyl is a bit more of a daunting investment at times).

15. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

So you enjoy Living with War but trash Greendale?

16. Efus

Efus Senior Member

I think music overall has lost a lot of fans as well, and the same could be said of many iconic performers.

Sales, I'll concede, but dwindling concert ticket sales?
    Maybe doesn't matter.

Neil works hard.
    I know he took 1998 off, maybe another year here recently, but he's been on the road every single year other than that,
    with various touring bands, as well as solo, I think for over 30 years straight.
    So I think he's figured out where he makes his money.

17. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

Prolific doesn't equal quality or substance of course

18. jwb1231970

jwb1231970 Ordinary Guy

In all fairness Neil can do whatever he wants to do, we don't have to buy it. Apparently there are those that enjoy what he does so it needs to be left at that. As Neil said "I work for me", I wont pay any money thought to hear or see him live. I would have though 20 or 30 years ago.

19. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

And like Dylan and McCartney, I think he just likes touring. Lucky for us.

20. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

You can hear everything eventually, including all the Archives, etc. All you have to do is live forever.

21. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I'm thinking you are a fan of some of Neil Young's earlier music and not a Neil Young fan these days? Which is fine. It seems to me that any current fan would find a lot to like in Neil's output over the last decade.

Keep em coming Neil!!

warewolf95 and ARK like this.
  22. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I find it perfect 'as is' - and the whistling just makes that song for me. Luckily Neil has so many albums out now that most folks can find something they love - I find even the ones I am not so keen on (Everybody's Rockin', This Note's For You, Are You Passionate?) have lots of interesting moments.

23. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Best Archives impatience post ever written.

warewolf95, EVOLVIST and JoeRockhead like this.
  24. Sig worthy, even. :)

25. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Forum Resident

Just listened to the boot of the SLO show, and to my shock, I am digging the hell out of these new songs. Maybe it's because the lyrics are buried, but the music is fantastic. Neil is really gelling with these guys! "Too Big To Fail", "Monsanto Years" and "New Day For The Planet" are real standouts to me so far. "Monsanto Years", for all it's lyrical questionability, has a pretty beautiful melody. Great guitar lines. And you know, even "Rock Starbucks" has a real nice, low-key cruise groove to it.

Also, this version of "Down By The River" absolutely smokes. Can't wait to see these guys live.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    JoeRockhead likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.