Black Party Records (Laff, etc.)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Sternodox, Apr 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas Thread Starter

Anybody else into this stuff? Skillet & Leroy. Jimmy Lynch, the Funky Tramp. Wildman Steve. LaWanda Page. Auntie Tina Dixon. Many of these artists were released on the super weird Laff Records label. I love this stuff! Especially Jimmy Lynch's ultra-long-winded jokes that go on and on and ON and then end with a way stupid punch-line. A lot of my African-American friends seem totally embarrassed that these things even exist. I wonder how many parties in the 60s were steamed up listening to this stuff? There seemed to be two themes: sex & drugs.

2. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

3. Antifrodis

Antifrodis Forum Resident

I think the album covers of those Laff records are my favorite thing about them.

Sternodox likes this.
  4. Steve626

Steve626 Forum Resident

I used to listen to the Redd Foxx party records on the Dooto (Dootone) label when I was a kid. Pretty funny stuff - more off-color than 'dirty'. IIRC, so e of Redd's stuff is available on CD comps. Don't think I listened to any Laff albums, but my memory from the early '60's is fuzzy!

BIG ED likes this.
  5. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Blowfly!
    [​IMG]

6. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Dootone was loaded with comedy albums besides Foxx. I remember seeing the ads in Ebony where the top half were all Redd Foxx(in near identicle covers) followed by dozens of others.
    The one act I always wanted to check out was Richard and Willie. I love ventiloquists.

7. Sternodox

When Skillet & Leroy teamed up with LaWanda ... that stuff was NASTY! And freakin' hilarious. Most of the album covers cannot be posted here but check 'em out. Here's one of the tamer ones.

[​IMG]

8. Sternodox

Jimmy Lynch is my favorite. Here's one of his most famous routines. This is NOT safe for work! Or kids!! It has absolutely ZERO redeeming social value. It's offensive and juvenile. In other words, PERFECT!

9. efraley

efraley Forum Resident

Used to listen to Wildman Steve and Rudy Ray Moore in college. Some of my college friends and I can still quote from them!

10. Sternodox

Time for a bump. Was just listening to Jimmy "the Funky Tramp" Lynch last night. I listened to his Gorilla bit. It's so stupid! And long! And excellent!!! Lynch was among a whole coterie of African-American stand up comics that seemed to completely bypass almost everybody in the '70s. Like it was in a separate universe or something. If it wasn't for a couple of labels like Laff Records, this stuff would have disappeared without a trace. As it is hardly anybody these days has any idea about these amazing records. Here's a cover of my fave Jimmy Lynch record. "In a nite club" ... that part of the title always cracks me up! Doesn't say which "nite" club. Or even which city (it's most likely south central LA).

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.