help: old sealed Eric Dolphy 'Out To Lunch', Blue Note - original issue?

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by centuryhouse, Apr 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. centuryhouse

centuryhouse New Member Thread Starter

Hi guys. Go easy on me if I breach any protocol, though I hope I am not. I occasionally read the forums and signed up here a few months ago, but don't believe I've posted here before.

At an estate sale I picked up a few records, including several old 60s/70s that were still sealed. One was this ERIC DOLPHY "Out To Lunch". I'm trying to determine which pressing it is, and it's potential worth on the market.

If it is not worth much, I'll probably open it and listen to it as I originally had planned before seeing some of the pricing online. If it's worth a lot to a collector, then I will sell it, and find a cheaper copy for myself to listen to later.

Here are some pics - ask me any questions and I'll try to answer, but all I have to go on is the cover, as it is still sealed.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

I am not an expert, but it looks pretty real to me. In other words, it looks like it could be the proper vintage. The seal looks correct vintage also.

Again, not an expert, but if it is real and it is sealed it is certainly worth in the hundreds of dollars, possibly in the thousands of dollars.

3. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

It appears like an original pressing based on the 43 west 61st ny 23 address on the back cover. Which is the first cover variation for the stereo issue.

4. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Mono versions are the ones that are most collectible according to Collectors Frenzy.

Also note the small lettering 94163 in upper right corner on back, thought the original Stereo ones had large "ST-84163"

5. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Nope, Liberty issue for sure. On the back the small catalog number on the top right and Blue Note logo on the top left are dead giveaways. Could be a blue & white Liberty label, could be blue w/black "B", could be blue w/white "B" but definitely post '66 and not original.

Nightswimmer, mikeyt and theron d like this.
  6. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Here's an original, albeit mono, back slick:

[​IMG]

Evan L and chazz101s like this.
  7. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Good eye. I was posting from my phone and looked at just the address.

It's much more obvious looking at the full size top part of the back cover.

8. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

9. chazz101s

chazz101s Forum Resident

Now then, does anybody know (via first-hand experience) whether Blue Note issues in 1964 were shrink-wrapped?

10. centuryhouse

Good information everyone, thanks for chiming in with various bits of info! So it looks like a genuine sealed 60s issue copy, likely from early in the Liberty era (which was mid-late 60s) because of the NY address which changed in the middle of the Liberty era.

Not the first pressing, but an early one. I wonder how many 60s copies exist, still sealed?

11. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

I understand your optimism but there is no way to guarantee (or even guess) if this is an early Liberty copy from the '60s without seeing the label. I have Blue Notes with the blue label/black "B" (which was used from 1973-78) that still have the NY address on the back slick.

12. centuryhouse

Since Liberty only had Blue Note from 1966 to early 1970, how could a Liberty-labeled record be made after Liberty no longer owned it?

13. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

14. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Open it and let the music into your life. It's a fantastic record!

brew ziggins and Cactus Bob like this.
  15. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

:laugh: Same reason you occasionally find Blue Notes pressed in the mid-'60s with left over 767 Lexington labels (which were discontinued in 1957), there is little consistency! Also if you find a sealed copy with the large catalog number on the back that is no guarantee it is original, I have a number of early Liberty labeled Blue Notes that used left over original jackets.

PS - The London Jazz Collector site that theron d posted is a great resource!

16. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Using collectors frenzy and searching "liberty" and "out to lunch" the history indicates around $50-$55 most expensive ever sold. Yours being sealed you never know...but then again you might just want to open and play the thing :)

17. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I would personally see what the sealed copy could go for at auction.

Music Matters have a good sounding version in print and an outstanding 45 rpm version which is one of their best sounding reissues.

18. centuryhouse

Maybe so. I've got some serious dental problems and couldn't justify opening/keeping a record if it was worth more than a few dollars, as that money would be better used for some extractions. And, since I'm not a collector (in the sense of caring a lot about which release version I have), I thought it a shame to waste a sealed 40+ year old copy on myself, given there probably aren't a lot out there.

19. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

20. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

It's a Liberty sleeve, but I'm pretty sure I picked up a New York stereo labeled copy in that sleeve, with sixties Blue Notes you never know.

21. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

If it has New York labels but that jacket it would still be a Liberty press (no Plastylite "P" in the deadwax) .

22. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I assume that's the case, Blue Note always liked to mix up their sleeves and old label stock, I have several copies, I'll see if I still have it, I know I have a Liberty with the OP's sleeve and shrink wrap, I just got a MM 33rpm so maybe I'll thin out the herd.

23. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

The 33 music matters is excellent!

mikeyt likes this.
  24. CarlosLemus

CarlosLemus Forum Resident

I just went through several of my 1960s Liberty pressings and several 1970s pressings and noticed that the 1970s covers have printed in the front, towards the bottom, in white uppercase font "©Liberty Records, Inc" and "Printed in U.S.A." However, I went through some online photographs of 1970s covers of Out To Lunch and they lack the printing.

You may want to weigh it. According to London Jazz Collector, 1966-1970 Liberty reissues weigh an average of 145 grams, while the later reissues dropped to an average of 135 grams. You will, of course, have to make some calculations by subtracting the approximate weight of the cover.

I have not found information about average cover weight, but you may do some comparisons if you have some opened blue notes. Just by looking at my covers, the earlier Liberty ones seem to be just a bit heavier than the later ones.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.