The Monkees: Season One or Season Two, which is your favorite?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Grand_Ennui, Apr 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident Thread Starter

Take your pick regarding The Monkees TV series:

2. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

I can't remember the show in terms of seasons - it's been too long. But I do remember enjoying the show and some really great tunes like:

I'm A Believer, Pleasant Valley Sunday, Daydream Believer, Valleri, I'm Not Your Stepping Stone, D.W. Washburn, A Little Bit Me A Little Bit You, Goin' Down, Last Train To Clarksville, Mary, Mary, The Girl I Knew Somewhere.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  3. mike's beard

mike's beard Forum Resident

The format started breaking down in Season 2. Sometimes this was a good thing but in others the guys were just phoning it in to Season 1 rejects.

goodiesguy and BadJack like this.
  4. 905

905 Senior Member

1 overall

5. Grand_Ennui

That's a good way to put it...

6. applebonkerz

applebonkerz Senior Member

Option 6 -- Head
    :thumbsup:

7. Grand_Ennui

Well, if that was the case, I woulda added option # 7: "33 1/3 Revolutions Per Monkee" :)

applebonkerz likes this.
  8. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I voted for season two, because "Fairy Tale" and the one where they're in Dracula's house (Mummy Man!) are the peaks of the entire series for me. They're funny and clever with just the right touch of surreal goofiness. As noted above, though, there are times when they just seem stoned, jaded, and wishing they were somewhere else.

MekkaGodzilla likes this.
  9. MekkaGodzilla

MekkaGodzilla Forum Resident

I'm a fan of Season Two, especially episodes like "The Frodis Caper", "The Monkee's Paw", "The Monkees' Christmas Show" and "The Monkees On The Wheel" where the band crap all over not only television in general, but their own show. That took balls.

"Who writes this stuff?!?!"

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 27, 2015
  10. greelywinger

greelywinger Osmondia

Season Two, but Season One has its moments.

I like Season Two better 'cause it seemed a lot looser than Season One.

Darryl

11. BeatleStair

BeatleStair Senior Member

Overall I enjoy Season One the most but having said that my two favorite Monkees episodes are in Season Two - "The Devil and Peter Tork" and "Monstrous Monkee Mash".

Season Two has some high moments but too many filler episodes.

12. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I think the first season is stronger in regards to episodes with great stories. The second season had many good episodes too and was more experimental, the Monkees was perhaps the first sitcom to eliminate the laugh track. But they also started to lose a bit of focus. They've all admitted that they were stoned on the set sometimes. There ate still classic episodes in both seasons.

13. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

When Micky stopped processing his hair and Mike let his sideburns cover more than 3/4s of his face and Peter wore more ponchos... so I guess that makes Season 2 better.

Holy Diver likes this.
  14. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Season One is madcap but still widely acceptable when it comes to getting it out to the mainstream audience. Season 2 started out with a bang. The vibe from Season 1 was still there, but the editing started to get a little more fast, crazy, and downright brilliant. Some of the best eps of the entire run are the first ones from Season 2 (Art For Monkees Sake, The Picture Frame, Everywhere a Sheik Sheik, etc.)

The Librace cameo may very well be the greatest sitcom cameo ever put onto film. EVER.

As Season 2 progressed, things started to run out of control, and the show started to unravel. Some of the later eps have their moments (Monkee's Paw. Frodis Caper), but as much as I love them, I am not above admitting that they are NOT for everyone.

"Don't Do That."
    "Who Writes This Stuff?"
    "Isn't....that.....dumb?"
    "OH!"

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  15. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

Season 2 for me, better music and I believe "Head" to be a 60s masterpiece of Psych music and style.

sean

16. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

Season One:
    [​IMG]

Season Two:
    [​IMG]

What a difference a year makes.

I think the show was at its most consistent towards the end of Season One but more creative and generally just cooler during the final batch of episodes of Season Two, which were shot after they'd been touring all summer. Which of these I prefer, though, I have no idea.

17. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

since we only had 2 seasons I voted both...

18. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I do have to give a shout to season one's great Julie Newmar episode.

I think I've said it before, but for all the "two actors and two musicians" talk, Nesmith was my pick for the best actor of the bunch and it's not even close.

Grand_Ennui and MekkaGodzilla like this.
  19. mike's beard

mike's beard Forum Resident

Mike's just playing himself, Tork was the only one really acting - he's anything but dopey in real life.

Holy Diver likes this.
  20. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I agree. In real life Peter Tork is a very deep and intelligent person. He was cast as the "Ringo" dummy part in the series. If you want a peek at what Peter was really like at the time, check out his scenes in the movie Head, the movie gives us a look at what each Monkee was really like behind the scenes.

21. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Amen!

quicksilverbudie likes this.
  22. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I think I will pick I like them both equally. The songs really matter to me, all of them.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  23. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Season Two has a better opening credits montage and Tork's best-ever song, "For Pete's Sake", as the closing theme.

Holy Diver likes this.
  24. entropyfan

entropyfan Forum Resident

Season one is more consistent, but the very last episode of the series will always be my favorite.

[​IMG]

Jump up and down three times, roll a head of cabbage and giggle!

25. quicksilverbudie

quicksilverbudie quicksilverbudie

That song got me into the Monkees as I saw the end of the show around 1973/1974. Once I heard that song "that was the sound" I was looking for! Classic 60s pop, must have heard it as a small child as I was born March 1965. The first song I remember hearing was "Raindrops Keep Fallin' on my Head" from 1969 also from my all time fav movie>

sean

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.