Daredevil - Netflix Original Series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Dr. Pepper, Apr 10, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Just started watching this-it's very good, but also incredibly dark for Marvel. I know nothing of DD's backstory, so I'm just going along for the ride.

Vidiot likes this.
  2. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Daredevil has been renewed for season 2. The show will be getting new show-runners for season 2. Season one started with Drew Goddard as show-runner (for the first 2 episodes) and then he was moved to the Sinister Six film and Steven DeKnight took over for the remainder of the season. Next season will be led by Doug Petrie and Marco Ramirez.

3. progrocker71

...and 3 of that crew (Goddard, DeKnight & Petrie) are all Joss Whedon alums that have worked on multiple series including Buffy and Angel. Petrie and Ramirez both wrote episodes during season one so I would guess there won't be any noticeable stylistic shift in season 2.

4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I suspect much screaming and yelling going on behind the scenes. Petrie & Ramirez wrote 2 or 3 very good episodes, so I'm hoping they're a reasonable choice. My suspicion is that Marvel has very much a "their way or the highway" approach with TV these days, since the TV shows essentially are there to promote the movies. I chuckled every time Daredevil referenced the vast destruction to NYC shown in The Avengers a couple of years ago.

BTW, it's also interesting to note how much better this TV series is than the awful Ben Affleck movie from 10 years ago. That was a big stinker. It just shows what can happen when good people are behind a show and have a better handle on how to write, cast, and produce a story like this. I think just the casting alone in this show is impeccable: not a single character was out of place. Even the relatively-minor characters, like Kingpin/Fisk's assistant, Wesley, was absolutely believable as the chief henchman. The girlfriend from the art gallery was also terrific.

5. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I totally agree.

This one surprised me with its rich characterizations. Very much a step up from your average television fare.

6. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Let me fix that for you...

"This one surprised me with its rich characterizations. Very much a step up from your average superhero fare".

7. The gallery girl is one of Israel's biggest actresses

8. progrocker71

There was no drama surrounding the show-runner changes. Goddard and DeKnight are juggling multiple projects and their schedules won't work out for season 2 of Daredevil.

jriems likes this.
  9. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Good to know. They seem like very smart, capable people. But this comes on the heels of the Ant Man director abruptly quitting just before Ant Man went into production, so I suspect there is a lot of micro-managing at Marvel...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/why-ant-man-director-edgar-707374

(Hey, that's a funny joke! Micro-managing! Ant Man! Get it?)

She was absolutely excellent in that role, 100% believable.

musicalbeds likes this.
  10. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I stand by my original statement, thank you very much.

While we are going through a truly golden period in television, still, the preponderance of programming, superhero or otherwise, is at a lower standard than shows like Daredevil.

jriems likes this.
  11. progrocker71

Agreed. Daredevil needs no qualifiers. It's a great "superhero" show isn't necessary. It's a great show.

wavethatflag, jriems and davenav like this.
  12. progrocker71

I found a quote from Steven S. DeKnight on his departure as show runner:

"While previous commitments unfortunately prevent me from continuing on with Daredevil into its second season. I could not be happier that Doug Petrie and Marco Ramirez are carrying the torch. They were invaluable collaborators during our first season, and I for one can’t wait to see what they do with the show moving forward."

Drew Goddard and Steven will be remaining as executive producers on the series for Season 2.

davenav and Vidiot like this.
  13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Really looking forward to new episodes. They did a really excellent job on this show, and I'm glad it got picked up for another season.

Mr. H and davenav like this.
  14. Deesky

Deesky Forum Resident

Yes, the show did have a great season, but I feel justified in making the qualification precisely because the preponderance of superhero shows is poor.

It will be interesting to see how season 2 fares (and I hope it does just as well). I wonder because season 1 was basically an origin story, getting to know the characters, etc, which always has a higher potential to be more interesting (in the right hands) then afterwards, when the baseline has been established and other stories need to be told within the established framework.

wavethatflag likes this.
  15. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

Finished watching the last episode of series 1 and I think it was the best series I've seen on Netflix so far!
    Good characters, nice visuals and great storyline!

davenav likes this.
  16. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Mr. H and Voodoo Child like this.
  17. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I really like this show. After "Agents of Shield" I expected the worst, but Marvel is finding it's "TV" mojo on Netflix. The fight scenes are really well done, and there is a gritty realism that resides along the usual superhero trappings--alter ego, female sidekick/accomplice, arch villain, etc. It's like they gave the proceedings just the right dose of Frank Miller or Alan Moore.

musicalbeds, davenav and Deesky like this.
  18. macdaddysinfo

macdaddysinfo Forum Resident

Have you got through episode seven, yet...? Talk about great casting...!

wavethatflag likes this.
  19. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Watched the entire series! Who am I looking for in Episode 7?

20. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I had to look it up myself. I'm assuming the poster is referring to Stick played by Scott Glenn.
    [​IMG]

21. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Sounds like this is an essential purchase on blu-ray when it gets released. The Daredevil movie was a let down IMHO. Not bad, just not as exceptional as the comics were. Much like Fantastic Four.

22. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Oh, not a surprise -- his name was in the opening credits. I wish he'd been in the show longer! I'd also like a more thorough explanation of the Black Sky character, and I think this was one thing lacking in the show: they didn't have the courage (or the time or budget) to actually show Stick killing the kid. Apparently, Black Sky is not in the comic book, either...

http://www.bustle.com/articles/7716...evil-nobus-weapon-isnt-as-simple-as-you-think

Mr. H likes this.
  23. No Netflix? It's there when you want it.

24. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Almost through with the season. Excellent in every aspect. I like that they've taken their time in establishing character and slowly building the story.
    Looking forward to seeing where it goes!

25. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

musicalbeds and Encuentro like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.