Does anyone own Audeze headphones???

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by mtruslow, May 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I got a pair of the LCD-XC headphones a couple months ago. I have been very pleased with them. I don't think I've ever heard better. I like the highish sensitivity, too. Unlike my Sennheisers, which need a headphone amp, the Audeze can be driven nicely by portable device outputs, as well as stereo component equipment. I use them with my iPad, which also has the advantage of a higher output than most portable devices. So it is a good all-around match for many uses. These XC model headphones are heavy but still very comfortable, and they shut out exterior sounds, unlike the open-back models. I have the lambskin earcups, which are really very nice.

mikeyt and razerx like this.
  2. marcan

marcan New Member

Be prepared to hear things you didn't hear before including weakness of your source.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  3. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Congrats on the new Headamp. Those amps have a long lead time. You order and then wait...
    Have you listened to the GS-X before ordering one?

4. planet

planet New Member

A while ago, before I placed the order. Long enough to know I'd should take the plunge and be patient. :)

I've done comparisons with the Dark Star and a few other amps, along with a bevy of headphones including the HE-6, T1, LCD-3, LCD-2, LCD-XC, HD-800, and a bunch more to boot.

I liked the LCD-X the best, but the HE-6 and LCD-3 were both superb as well for raw enjoyment. The HD800 was obviously remarkable for its soundstage, but it was thin-sounding and shrill, compared to the planars, overall. This is heresy in some circles, I know, but there were only a few tracks (mainly sweeping orchestral works) where I found it preferable.

5. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Awesome! I've been able to hear a GS-X (and also the BHSE) just once when Justin brought them to an Atlanta head-fi meet. Really nice amps. But they don't show up at a lot of meets that I attend. It's difficult for some people to get an audition. So some people end up buying blind, without having heard them first. Not a huge risk though because they can be resold for not much loss. I haven't heard a Dark Star yet. I'd like to. Just to find out what it sounds like. I have been able to hear Cavalli and Eddie Current.

I agree about the HD800. I keep wanting one for classical music. But at the same time I just find planars (and especially the Audezes) more coherent and full sounding and the sort of sound that manages to connect with me better. The HD800 ends up with a soundstage that seems artificially separated. The HD800 is technically amazing. The Audeze's are more enjoyable. And I listen for enjoyment.

6. Jack Flannery

Jack Flannery Forum Resident

Well, I have mine going pretty well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.