The (Hopefully) Ultimate King Diamond/Mercyful Fate Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by marblesmike, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

It makes me happy and it's exciting to me to read of you guys attending the shows and saying the King is in good shape. I'm a big fan but I have never had the chance to see him live.

I think I'll blast House Of God today.

johnny q likes this.
  2. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

I absolutely love Melissa and Don't Break The Oath but I could never get into King Diamond solo.

moodyxadi likes this.
  3. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

Why oh why is King skipping MI so far on this tour ? He was last here 8 years ago.
    The Market is here for him and like another King, King Crimson who also skipped MI.
    I wonder how they decide this stuff ? Bummed out again by another King.

4. ArpMoog

ArpMoog Forum Resident

I so want to give these King's my money, I gladly hand it over PLEASE come to Michigan.

5. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Any fans of "Time"? I don't have it. Just some mp3 files I downloaded years ago. Was thinking of grabbing the CD.

6. rbichamp

rbichamp Senior Member

I admit I haven't listened to "Time" I'm awhile, but I remember liking "In The Shadows" a lot more. Not sure that helps you much though. It is in Spotify if you want to listen there first.

7. Trillmeister

Trillmeister Forum Resident

I do empathize with this and wonder to what extent the influence of Hank Shermann is responsible? His sound on those MF records is pure, distilled, classical Metal.

four sticks likes this.
  8. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, MF is more classic metal, and KD is more proggy. That's the main difference to my ears.

Trillmeister likes this.
  9. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

I would agree with that assessment. It's a big reason of why I love both.

10. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

I do like prog so I don't know if that's my issue with King Diamond solo. I don't claim to know his entire solo output but what I've heard strikes me as slightly heavier, evil Euro metal. Mercyful Fate was straight up, well played metal. Actually, to us old timers it was black metal.

11. serj

serj Forum Resident

Can anyone comment on the sound of "Dreams of Horror: The Best of King Diamond" compilation?

12. marblesmike

Disc 1 (the Roadrunner era up to The Eye) sounds great. The second disc sounds similar to all of the tracks' previous releases.

serj likes this.
  13. serj

serj Forum Resident

Great! Thank you for this info. As i know the standart KD remasters from the 90's have a very bad sound. So, the new mastering for this compilation Disc 1 was made?

14. marblesmike

King and Andy remastered all of the tracks, but I'm guessing the masters sounded better for the older stuff. Very dynamic and cleaned up well.

15. Crungy

Crungy Forum Resident

Any word on if the old titles will be released with the new mastering.

16. marblesmike

No word, but it seems the King Diamond camp avoids rumours.

17. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

I've been wandering through past highly regarded albums which I'd never heard before and after some initial adjustment have been utterly hooked on "Melissa" and "Don't Break the Oath". I've acquired later Mercyful Fate and King Diamond albums but aside from a cursory sample listen I just keep returning to M and DBTO to scratch again and again and again the damnably delicious itch they have given me. What at first I named "eccentric" in order for myself to give a fair chance, before long became an uncharitable and inadequate label. Wonderful individuality! Will try to move on to the later works.

Trillmeister and marblesmike like this.
  18. marblesmike

Listen to Abigail next.

19. Dreadnought

Dreadnought I'm a live wire. Look at me burn.

Skip Fatal Portrait? Usually I do proceed chronologically and avoid compilations but given that there are 20+ albums and the favourable sq reported for Dreams of Horror I might give that a once through to get a survey. Thanks.

20. marblesmike

Disc 1 of Dreams of Horror definitely covers my favorite era of King's solo career, but it skips over so many great songs.

Fatal Portrait to me sounds like a cross between MF and King's solo stuff. Abigail is where he really develops the sound that he carried into the early 90s, and it's probably one of his best works.

21. Trillmeister

Melissa and 'Oath are phenomenal and the former in particular is a foundation stone in the pantheon of Metal in general with fantastic production.

Abigail is indeed remarkable (although I'm still awaiting a version that rejects the eardrum perforating, sonic shards attack of 80s- sheen zealousness.)

22. Zongadude

Zongadude Music is the best

Don't skip Fatal Portrait. It's a fantastic album and it's the perfect transition.

Abigail is one of the best KD album, but halas the sound and production is not really successful. You have to pass thru the reverb wall to enjoy the music, which is very very good.

Trillmeister likes this.
  23. Trillmeister

Duly inspired to plonk on, dial in and zone out.

It's not poor, is it? :thumbsup:

24. marblesmike

vinyl version?

25. Trillmeister

Thanks, Mike.

Off to Discogs I go... {Currently imbibing 'Voices From The Past.'}