Played a New Mono LP on Stereo System- Sounded Like Kreploch- Why?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by avanti1960, Apr 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have read that you need either a mono cart or some way to set the output to mono within the system for Mono LPs to sound good on a 2-channel setup.
    But I wasn't expecting this bad.
    Received a new mono version of an old Traffic LP (didn't realize I ordered the mono). Put it on- and man, it sounded washed out and bland.
    Is this really because I don't have true mono playback capability or could the recording be the reason? Thanks.

2. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

Probably the recording is the problem, not the format.

3. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

Whatever you read was wrong.

Joshua277456 likes this.
  4. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Turn it up louder

Ghostworld likes this.
  5. james

james Summon The Queen

Seek out the (I think) current issue of Stereophile. Art Dudley has an informative article on this exact topic. I think you'd find it interesting.

Edit: here it is http://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-148

6. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

Search this forum for "stereo/mono" switch.. a member here (forget his name sorry!) makes & sells them for a very reasonable price... around $30 IIRC. Or you can play with Y-cords and DIY for a bit cheaper. But you'll need a receiver with a tape monitor button or have to plug and unplug cords all the time.

7. Tyler Eaves

Tyler Eaves Forum Resident

Maybe your speakers aren't properly in phase?

That'd do it.

(This would effect stereo playback as well, but it'll be REALLY obvious with mono)

A decent mono LP should sound super present and "punchy".

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
    action pact and bhazen like this.
  8. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

9. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Is that the first mono lp you've played through your system?

If every other lp sounds good through your system, and this lp sounds bad, I'd lay the blame on the album. Generally, new mono reissues don't really improve much, if at all, with a mono button or cartridge. Who reissued the lp?

10. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Which Traffic album?

I have the mono CD of Heaven Is In Your Mind, sounds amazing. Try another mono LP ...

11. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Some old mono mixes are crap sounding - could be a fold down. I find modern Mono sounds fine in a stereo set up. I have amp with a mono switch that is out of the system at present and in some cases sound was worse with it switched in.

Tommyboy likes this.
  12. avanti1960

don't have another mono lp. this one was reissued by sundazed music.

13. avanti1960

this is the one.

14. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Were you able to get a nice center image from your speakers? Was it three dimensional? Did you get a sense of space back to forth?
    This is what I get from a nice mono LP. About your experience, it is hard to tell whether it is the fault of the specific pressing from Sundazed or a problem with the configuration of your system.

15. avanti1960

strange as it seems, this actually helped.

aoxomoxoa likes this.
  16. avanti1960

center image is perfect. the biggest issue is some of the vocals seem to fade in and out slightly as if they are weak, mainly on the first track, paper sun.
    starting to dig the music though. very cool

bhazen likes this.
  17. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

If it's a Sundazed lp, it was mastered properly, which means that dynamically it's right to be able to turn it up. And that first Traffic lp is kinda murky to begin with. At least the original UK(I have a mono and stereo).

Welcome to the right way to be able to listen to a record.

Tommyboy likes this.
  18. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

I wasn't joking.

Tommyboy likes this.
  19. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

There is a tendency in this forum to worship everything mono. In reality there are good mono mixes and bad mono mixes. I don't have the Traffic in mono but maybe it is just not a very good mix and that's what you are hearing.

Gumboo and Tommyboy like this.
  20. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Shouldn't be the recording, although it could be just that pressing. The first Traffic album, in mono (speaking of the UK here) has a lot of punch and clarity - a pretty good sounding recording & mix. There is a Sundazed reissue of the US version in mono with a couple different tracks and sequencing. Can't speak for that one.

TLMusic and bhazen like this.
  21. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

What sort of stylus? I've heard some stylus types on a stereo cart are "wrong" for mono.

I'm just now listening to "Paper Sun" on the mono disc - it does sound like someone was riding faders on the backing vocs somewhat; very subtle though.

Anyway, hope you can solve it - it's a magical album, IMO.

22. Classicrock

Agree those Mono LPS have to be played louder otherwise they can be quite murky. This was probably the intention with mono mixes. Found this especially with the Mono 'Are You Experienced' which so many complained about. Using a mono switch didn't help much. Mono 'Paper Sun' sounds like it was mixed to sound good on radio though don't know if the album version is same as the single mix.

23. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Jeez Louise. So mono is murky, but to bring the detail.....you turn up the volume. :nyah: Why not, instead of having the musicians bunched up to record them in mono, have them stand further apart during recording? For better stereo separation.

24. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Yes Raunch, as usual, is right. Just listened to my original UK mono of "Traffic", and I was wrong, Not sure what I was thinking of, but this is not a murky pressing at all. Very alive and dynamic. Again, I haven't listened to the Sundazed pressing but knowing Irwin's work I'm sure it sounds pretty good. But at least wanted to correct my earlier statement.

25. Classicrock

My point is they can sound closed in and dull at low volumes. Turn up and they are clear and dynamic - not suggesting the recordings are murky. Just been listening to Mono Doors' Strange Days RSD - excellent sound but a rather different experience to the stereo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.