Rod Stewart - Tonight I'm Yours Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jconsolmagno, Mar 13, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident Thread Starter

What does everyone think of this album? Personally, I think it's his best after Blondes Have More Fun. Tracklist below:

Track listing[edit]
    1. "Tonight I'm Yours (Don't Hurt Me)" 4:09 (Stewart, Jim Cregan, Kevin Savigar)
    2. "How Long" 4:12 (Paul Carrack)
    3. "Tora, Tora, Tora (Out With The Boys)" 4:29 (Stewart)
    4. "Tear It Up" 2:29 (Dorsey Burnette, Johnny Burnette)
    5. "Only a Boy" 4:09 (Stewart, Jim Cregan, Kevin Savigar)
    6. "Just Like a Woman" 3:55 (Bob Dylan)
    7. "Jealous" 4:30 (Stewart, Carmine Appice, Jay Davis, Danny Johnson)
    8. "Sonny" 4:01 (Stewart, Cregan, Kevin Savigar, Bernie Taupin)
    9. "Young Turks" 4:56 (Stewart, Appice, Duane Hitchings, Kevin Savigar)
    10. "Never Give Up on a Dream" 4:20 (Stewart, Cregan, Taupin)

2. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

It's actually a good album! I like it anyway.

3. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Really good album.

Will write more tomorrow.:)

4. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident

Haven't heard the album but the singles are great. "Young Turks" one of my fave songs from the decade.

cosmicdancer and davers like this.
  5. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I've never heard the album in full until now but I do remember hearing the singles when they were released. I still love "Young Turks" and the title track and I just heard "How Long" for the first time in over 30 years. This was a moderate hit and I had no idea that it was a cover until I heard the Ace version a year or two later. I'm listening to "Tora Tora Tora" now. I like it. It sounds a bit like the Faces only updated for the early 80s. Tear It Up is pure fun. All in all, a solid album.

6. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

It has always bothered me that Rod chose to make the baby 10 lbs in this song. That is huge, and so unnecessary when a nice average 8 lbs would have fit the line just fine. Otherwise, I like this song too.

I've got the lp sitting in a crate waiting to be cleaned. Never gotten around to hearing the full album. I didn't realize it contained a cover of "How Long". Now I'm intrigued enough to move it up in the cleaning order :)

driverdrummer and GentleSenator like this.
  7. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

It's not a bad album. The singles were great. I preferred the following Body Wishes and Camouflage albums, though. His albums seemed to get better as the decade progressed.

8. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Contains some really superb tracks
    • Young Turks
    • How Long
    • Tonight I'm Yours
    • Only A Boy
    • Jealous
    But also has the too obvious/ too cheesey Dylan cover.

Side one works superbly well with each track flowing smoothly into the next with no loss of momentum. Side two has its moments, see above.

Particularly impressive is the energy that seems to flow across the whole album.

The next two albums were such a disappointment after this one.

davers likes this.
  9. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

I've actually wondered about that, too, and wonder if it suggests young Billy and Patty have bitten off more than they can chew; maybe there is an issue there they aren't facing (though it is true babies have been born much heavier than normal and grown up entirely healthy).

10. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

I like this album - the two lead singles, Only a boy and Jealous in particular.
    How Long was a weak third single given the possible alternatives - but fit with Warner's fast/fast/slow theme with Rod singles (same on Body Wishes, Camouflage, Out of Order).

The master tapes / reels / whatever for this album went missing so only one outtake emerged on Rhino - Thunderbird, on Sessions.

Gary Grainger has said in interviews that a lot of the ideas on this album, and subsequent releases, stemmed from the Foolish sessions. In fact one Foolish outtake has the keyboard riff that eventually formed part of Young Turks ("Dirty, silly, filthy boys" - download only from 2009).

11. TonyR

TonyR Forum Resident

I just finished listening to the song for the first time in a long while. To me, he's indicating the baby is healthy, and that Billy and Patti are going to be okay ("time is on their side"). After he states that she gave birth to a ten pound baby boy, he gives a hearty "yeah!". So, I don't see a problem.

My mother, who was 5'4", gave birth to my brother five years after I was born. He was nearly 11 pounds at birth. By contrast, I was 6 lbs. 8 oz. He wound up 6' 5" while his older brother (me) is 5' 8". We're both healthy (though he's in better shape than I am).

driverdrummer, sunspot42 and Slokes like this.
  12. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

this is rod at his corniest i think, but the album is really, really great. it's easily one of my top 5 favorites of his. the bookend tracks are a ton of fun. plus, that cover. was he intentionally trying to look like the shadow of the tree behind him?

13. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

"Young Turks" is one of the great white-trash anthems of rock. The title track is great, too. Rod hopped on the New Wave bandwagon fairly quickly and very effectively.

davers likes this.
  14. I'm not a big fan of Rod Stewart, but this is one of the few albums from him I own, and I've always enjoyed it a lot. I also have the 12" "Young Turks" single on translucent splatter vinyl. I really liked the uptempo tracks: "Tonight I'm Yours (Don't Hurt Me)"; "Tora, Tora, Tora (Out With The Boys)", "Young Turks" and "Tear It Up", which I particularly enjoyed not only because of being a fun song, but also because of its intro, with an excerpt from the "Etude no. 2 in F minor, Op. 25 no. 2, 'The Bees'" by Frédéric Chopin.

davers likes this.
  15. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident Thread Starter

Jealous is such a great track. Lots of power and energy there.

16. davers

davers Forum Resident

While I didn't enjoy Rod's radio hits of the mid-late 70s, I really like Tonight I'm Yours. A catchy and fresh sound for Rod, with a touch of new wave influence.

GentleSenator likes this.
  17. NotebookWriter

NotebookWriter Forum Resident

Rod Stewart's critical reputation took quite the beating in the 70s. It appears that he never fully recovered from it. Most discussions of Stewart's work that I've read conclude that he started to lose the plot some time after Never A Dull Moment.

I think there is something to like about every one of his albums up to and including Tonight I'm Yours. In fact, Tonight I'm Yours is one of his more consistent efforts from this period. Like most good Stewart albums, it offers a bit of everything he does well. I agree that the singles find him making a graceful transition to the 80s. They're almost enough to make you forgive "Passion" from a couple of years earlier.

The covers of How Long and Tear It Up are great. The originals are mostly good too, especially Tora, Tora, Tora, Jealous, and Only A Boy. Never Give Up on a Dream seems a bit sappy, but I'll give him a pass since it was a tribute to Terry Fox.

The only real misstep is his rendition of Just Like A Woman. It used to be a highlight for me, but now it just sounds over the top. I think a little bit of understatement would have served him well on this one.

GentleSenator and duggan like this.
  18. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Good points Shaun.

I wonder how people nowadays rate this album in comparison with Foolish Behaviour and Body Wishes.

19. NotebookWriter

NotebookWriter Forum Resident

My sentiments exactly. In fact, that was pretty much where I got off the bus. There may be a couple of others, but right now I can only think of two other songs that I cared about from that era and those were his covers of People Get Ready and Downtown Train.

Foolish Behaviour has its moments, but I think a fair bit of it is either cringe-worthy or forgettable. The good ones from what I remember are Better Off Dead, Give Me Wings, Oh God, I Wish I Was Home Tonight, and She Won't Dance With Me.

20. "Better Off Dead" is an all-time favorite of mine.

21. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I thought "Passion" came after Tonight I'm Yours. It had a pretty slick vid as I recall. But I'm getting old and my memory's not what it used to be, so...

22. "Passion" was the lead single from "Foolish Behaviour", released in 1980 ("Tonight I'm Yours" was released in 1981).

23. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

My AARP card is in the mail!

24. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Beneath the rather smooth production on Foolish Behaviour lurks a pretty gritty album. All of side one, except that faux reggae ditty, would be rather good if given more appropriate production. Side 2 has two classic rockers and three tracks that should have been replaced by other rockier material originally planned for the album.

25. rs4951

rs4951 Forum Resident

Backed up by Gary Graingers views expressed in interviews a few years later, by the much harder live sound of some of those songs and also by those involved in the Sessions set - final production did not always serve the raw material well in those days...

(still waiting on the rest of the Rhino stuff :( )

duggan likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.