What music did your parents play that rubbed off on you?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by frogsborne, Jun 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

My parents weren't big music fans, but when they did listen to music, it was southern gospel. So, I would have to say "none."

2. m5comp

m5comp Classic Rock Lover

My parents weren't big music fans, but when they did listen to music, it was southern gospel. So, I would have to say "none."

3. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

Ha ha someone made the same error I did on another thread :D

4. FJFP

FJFP Host for the 'Mixology' Mix Differences Podcast

Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers, CCR, and The Rolling Stones are the main 4 that spring to mind

5. RickH

RickH Connoisseur of deep album cuts

The Ventures, Herb Alpert

6. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Mom: Beatles, Martin Denny, show tunes (especially Man of La Mancha) and lots of star-goes-latin albums (Peggy Lee, Dino, Al Martino, etc.)
    Dad: Opera, Pop Jazz
    Step-Dad: Jug Bands, Hank Snow, Johnny Cash, Beach Boys
    I was lucky enough to grow up in a house where there was always music and very eclectic, which I'm sure is why I tend to like just about everything.

7. Martinev2

Martinev2 Forum Resident

Nothing thank the heavens. lthough taste ia in the eye of the behokder I can savely say that their taste in music absolutely sucks.

8. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Nothing at all. My parents weren't music nuts. In the mid 60s they only had two singles (Acker Bilkand and Kenny Ball). Later on they had a few LPs (Sinatra, Mantovani and Shirley Bassey).

9. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Great 1950's Rock N Roll. Even some Tom Jones and Engelbert.

10. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

Everything.........The Beatles, The Beach Boys, The Hollies, Simon & Garfunkel, Gerry & The Pacemakers, Sam Cooke, Marvin Gaye, Ray Charles.

While not all of those acts are to my musical tastes it did unleash a desire to go in search of music. It made me realise that I needed to look further than todays chart music. I have no doubt that if I had not been introduced to my parents music then I would not have found what I listen to today.

11. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

All classical and wonderful Windham Hill pianist named Liz Story. Like some others my Ma actually picked up some of my stuff, Pink Floyd in particular. It was wonderful late at night to hear her playing the last of Shine On You Diamond on our old upright piano.

Zeki likes this.
  12. moople72

moople72 Forum Resident

My dad is Elvis' age, my mom is the age of Ringo and John but they were pretty far removed from Rock and Roll. They did have the US HELP! ablum and a bunch old Hollyridge Strings records. My mom had a half dozen Johnny Cash albums. Later they got Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits and Carole King's Tapestry. My dad worked with Garfunkel's brother in Greenwich Village in the early 60s (non-musical job - I can't recall where exactly). But he was either not immersed in that scene or he's just not telling!

13. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Oh, come on....EVERY house in the 60s had Acker Bilk and Kenny Ball's Jazzmen singles. It was the law. I'd put money on the two they had were 'March Of The Siamese Children' and 'Strangers On The Shore'. My copies are in the loft. My parents would throw lightning bolts down at the house if I'd tried to sneak them into a jumble-sale bag.

14. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

British Invasion artists, funk bands, and disco!

15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I can't remember which Kenny Ball single it was but the Bilk one certainly was 'Strangers On The Shore' (it was "their song").

16. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

Beatles, Bacharach, Bossa Nova

17. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Dad-Beatles, Phil Ochs mostly.
    Mom-Laura Nyro.

18. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

None. I hated all the music my parents listened to which was mostly late 70s rock. My mom was into the Beatles when she was a girl and she sat me down and made me watch Imagine which made me a lifelong fan, so there's that.

19. Linto

Linto Mayor of Simpleton

Sergio Mendes, Carpenters, dodgy late 70s Rod Stewart, Hot August Night, a catalogue of guilty pleasures really.

20. sumero

sumero Forum Resident

Mom: Lots of Doo-Wop from the late 50s early 60s and Billy Joel!

21. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

My father used to drive me to school. Most of the time he had either Jim Croce or Gordon Lightfoot in the tape deck. I grew to appreciate both.

22. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

Dean Martin, and Al Martino. Was reminded of Martino the other day, when re-watching the Godfather (he pretty much plays his own character I think, but had a great voice).

In return they got Led Zep, Creedence, Motown and Stax....

23. kiefer2

kiefer2 Eastern European knockoff Mr. Potato Head

Not a specific genre but my mother used to play 4 albums (8 tracks actually!) that are still among my top 3 albums of all time-
    Linda Ronstadt-Hasten Down The Wind
    Emmylou Harris-Luxury Liner
    Olivia Newton-John-Come on Over and If You Love Me, Let Me Know

I can still picture her coming home from work, lighting the candle in the giant brandy snifter looking holder and sliding in the 8 track.

24. Sleep
    Cannibal Corpse
    Death
    Death Angel

25. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

Some from Dad and some from Mom, but I'm listing them together .....Beatles, Genesis, Billy Joel, Fleetwood Mac, The Moody Blues, Michael Jackson, Boston, Paul Simon....there are others I'm sure but these are some direct artists that I took from my parents. But I also expanded on my own with this as a base so can be partially credited to my parents as well. I've always skewed a bit towards older music rather than the current music I grew up with and that's because I took to my parents music and I didn't find the same quality, to my tastes, in contemporary music growing up. There was some, but not as much as before.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.