Taylor Swift is louder than AC/DC, Motorhead & The Sex Pistols!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Andrew Smith, Apr 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PlushFieldHarpy

PlushFieldHarpy Forum Resident

I don't know. What does it add? Even Paula Abdul's Forever Your Girl had a Dynamic Rating of 12.

2. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That's an interesting chart, though it should point out those albums with the higher ratings are for the original CD pressings only. If one goes to Amazon now and buys the current "Back In Black", "Born In The USA" or "Ace Of Spades", they'll get something that is much louder and far less dynamic.

3. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

She's sexier than AC/DC, Motorhead, and the Sex Pistols.
    Thats what you meant didnt you OP?

Davidmk5 and Smiths22 like this.
  4. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Highest ?

5. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

I would rather a wide dynamic range for sure be it a Paula abdul or Michael jackson ..... I just think with pop you don't have the loud Distorted guitars which shut my ears down ............. either way i HATE these smashed clipped masters ...

6. firefoxussr

firefoxussr Dynamic Range Enthusiastâ„¢

I started using perfect declipper, it's fun to play with. I know i'm distorting the CD master, but hey my ears bleed less. I like using it as a Winamp plugin, gives you a chance to really play with dynamics and stuff...

http://www.perfectdeclipper.com/

Davidmk5 likes this.
  7. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

...if you can get a good copy, which after a lot of effort I finally did. Her last three albums on vinyl are just horribly pressed. Badly warped, way off center and very, very noisy. Its like her record company is going out of their way to put out the very worst quality vinyl they can find. But, after getting a copy with two acceptable records, it does sound good! I'm sorry younger people are likely putting up with this.

8. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I rarely hear a "bonus" track I would ever listen to again. I think most modern albums are bloated and should be cut down to around ten tracks. Pretty hard for anyone to write much more decent material than that for one album.

xcqn likes this.
  9. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

They kept running out of 1989, but I think it was available pretty quickly after the CD was out.

10. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

Minimally acceptable value (i.e. TT DR8) eventually becomes a goal, IMO... ;)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  11. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I would rather listen to Taylor Swift than any of those other 3 bands anyway.

Duophonic likes this.
  12. FlatulentDonkey

FlatulentDonkey Forum Resident

Is your user name ironic? :nyah:

13. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

He created Dynamic Range Day and seems to have made the most public progress of anyone in advocating for an end to the loudness wars. I will give him the benefit of the doubt. :):thumbsup:

14. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

All I'm taking from this thread is: Taylor, louder, sex, head and AC/DC (all in the title).

I'm a bigger fan than ever!

ARK likes this.
  15. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven

I have excellent copies of all of Taylor's albums that are on vinyl

16. Robber Soul

Robber Soul Forum Resident

I hear you and agree to a point. I personally like getting as many tracks from an artist as possible so I can make my own playlist with only the songs I like. Have you heard the three Taylor Swift bonus tracks? Wonderland, You Are In Love and New Romantics are good songs and album worthy in my book.

Davidmk5 likes this.
  17. testikoff

testikoff Seasoned n00b

IMHO, for a healthy dynamics proponent Ian set his level of acceptance (DR8) rather low...

18. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

I agree about Taylor Swift 1989 being loud, but the most annoying thing is SET AUTOTUNE ALL THE WAY TO 11

tmtomh likes this.
  19. Andrew Smith

Andrew Smith Senior Member Thread Starter

That's fine, but this is not about musical preference. All different kinds of music sound better when there's more dynamic range in the recording... even loud heavy metal IMO.

Gaslight and Davidmk5 like this.
  20. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

You lucky dog! Glad to know they exist. Took some effort but I have a decent, but not excellent, copy of 1989. One thing I have learned is to start buying the big selling vinyl titles from a local dealer because I usually won't ship a bad copy back. I only seem to have issues with the big selling titles, not reissues and smaller releases. Kind of like they are rushing the press job on the big sellers....which I doubt, but it is definitely a trend with the titles I buy.

21. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

Well, I
    Well, I only buy vinyl so I would not have noticed if they were bonus tracks, but I will check amd see if they are on there. Thanks for the tip!

Robber Soul likes this.
  22. BradOlson

There are no bonus tracks on the vinyl issue

23. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

I've just never been a fan of Motorhead or the Sex Pistols, and I'm sick to death of AC/DC from years of over-exposure.

I do listen to a wide variety of musical genres, though... so while my username may not be ironic, I guess it *is* a little inaccurate..... :p

24. JakeLA

JakeLA Senior Member

Ian Shepherd is some nobody who sells an online mastering class.

And this whole "my DR is higher than your DR" nonsense is beyond stupid. The numbers mean nothing.

A lot of the music I've been listening to lately is in the 3 -6 DR range and I'd rather listen to it than Dire freaking Straits any day of the week.

25. BradOlson

He is a mastering engineer as well. http://www.allmusic.com/artist/ian-shepherd-mn0001774886

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.