Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

No Steve I never bought "Sunrise" although I have thought about it, how is the SQ on that set?

2. hodgo

That would make a great release and would more than likely be a popular FTD, there are many of us for whom the book set was out of our price range so the fact that it's recently been available in book form shouldn't impact on sales too much.

3. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Elvis At Sun is still the best way to hear the masters (apart from That's All Right). It sounds less processed than the Tupelo set.

4. hodgo

I'm with you on this point Steve, I occasionally ask myself if I should buy the three FTD sets from this era, but it would really only be for completing the FTD collection of Classic Albums. I'm more than happy with the 3 CD Stax set, it features remixed alternates along with the finished takes, all in excellent sound and even if I did go for the three FTD's, it would more than likely still be this set I listen most.

The one thing I am missing though are the three none Stax selections that are on the original releases, is there a cheap way to buy these three cuts on a good sounding CD?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  5. I have 2 of the 3 on an "Elvis Sings Country Greats" and "Elvis Country" (not to be confused with the 1971 album) CD's, all DSD transfers. I also have "Sings Songs From Great British Songbook" CD which contains one of the L.A. tracks IIRC? It's a good comp anyway IMHO! ;)

hodgo likes this.
  6. As I have Elvis At Sun, Sunrise (2CD) and the original Sun Sessions LP, ignoring the live material, what am I missing that is included on Tupelo set? I know Tupelo sounds awfully processed and Elvis At Sun and even Sunrise sounds better to me.

7. As I have Elvis At Sun, Sunrise (2CD) and the original Sun Sessions LP, ignoring the live material, what am I missing that is included on Tupelo set? I know Tupelo sounds awfully

8. As I have Elvis At Sun, Sunrise (2CD) and the original Sun Sessions LP, ignoring the live material, what am I missing that is included on Tupelo set? I know Tupelo sounds awfully

9. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

10. As I have Elvis At Sun, Sunrise (2CD) and the original Sun Sessions LP, ignoring the live material, what am I missing that is included on Tupelo set? I know Tupelo sounds awfully

11. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

12. As I have Elvis At Sun, Sunrise (2CD) and the original Sun Sessions LP, ignoring the live material, what am I missing that is included on Tupelo set? I know Tupelo sounds awfully

13. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

You are missing several outtakes.

14. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

OK. I also ordered the ELVIS COUNTRY FTD! .... addicted.

johnny q and hodgo like this.
  15. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

That's a great one. I like the original album with the I Was Born... snippets between the tracks. :hide:

Pants Party and JLGB like this.
  16. smitquest

smitquest Forum Resident

i believe there were a handful of scattered additional alternate studio takes, and a couple snippets of dialogue, but overall it's nice to have the whole set in consistent (and very good) sound. i'm not dumping my elvis at sun disc, but tupelo has been a very satisfying set overall. and as i avoided the sun-era live stuff up until now, it's fascinating hearing it all together in one place, likely sounding as good as it's going to.

now that considerable time has passed, i can safely say that i love this set.

smitquest

SteveM likes this.
  17. Thanks! If FTD releases a "Sun Sessions" Classic album set, it will likely be a 2 CD issue without the live material so those odd alternate takes could therefore be included.

18. NumberEight

NumberEight Came too late and stayed too long

How can anyone who's a member of this forum not have the patience to look through only three tracklists?;)

There are four tracks on the The Jungle Room Sessions that aren't on the FEPB/Moody Blue FTDs:
    Love Coming Down (Take 2)
    There's A Fire Down Below

and
    Bitter They Are, Harder They Fall
    (Takes 2 & 3, both false starts)
    Way Down (Take 2)

I believe that the two takes of Moody Blue listed as Takes 2 & 3 on The Jungle Room Sessions are actually Takes 5 & 7, which do appear on the Moody Blue FTD.

PacificOceanBlue and JLGB like this.
  19. INSW

INSW Senior Member

My hybrid version goes like this:

Help Me Make It Through The Night
    Until It’s Time For You To Go
    It’s Only Love
    Fools Rush In
    That’ What You Get For Loving Me
    Where Do I Go From Here
    We Can Make The Morning
    I Will Be True
    It’s Still Here
    I’ll Take You Home Again Kathleen
    Early Morning Rain
    I’m Leavin’

I call it Elvis Fow or Elvis Nool, whichever sounds cooler at the moment.

Quincy likes this.
  20. JLGB

JLGB Senior Member

If it wasn't for that, I would have skipped quite a few songs the first time I played the album! LOL.

21. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

This is the first thread I have ever seen praise for Sunrise. Compared to Elvis At Sun and ABFT, it is an inferior collection in every way. The other two collections used better engineers and in the case of ABFT, used better source material. I would stay far away from Sunrise if the other two collections are options. That said, ABFT is out of print, and Elvis At Sun contains less content, so Sunrise may be a way to fill in some gaps.

bigskyaudio likes this.
  22. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I disagree. I think the snippets of "Born" between the album's songs create a cohesiveness that may not otherwise be there because some of the performances are fully produced tracks while others are derived more from loose jams.

23. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

After recently enjoying the blu-ray of Viva Las Vegas, I started wondering if there are any officially released live versions of the title song. Given the hundreds of concerts performed by Elvis in that city over the years, it seems like a natural that it would be played at least once in a while. I see there are a couple of performances from 1969 listed on elvis-in-concert.com (Aug 6th and 14th), but I'd be surprised if that was it.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  24. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

I've yet to hear one live version, I doubt I ever will.

25. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Are you aware of the Let Yourself Go release on FTD? It has a nice selection of those studio alternate takes. There are additional alternate takes that are still unreleased, but I assume they put the best/most interesting ones on LYG already.

hodgo likes this.