The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (2014)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Mar 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Yeah time to put Spidey to bed for say 10 years.

We do not need another reboot/origin story. Especially as Spiderman's back story is one of the dullest in comic history.

I haven't seen a single Spiderman movie that I would give more than 6.5 out of 10 to (yeah Spidey 2 comes out best). I probably enjoyed the 1978 movie more as a kid!

Spidey is the Mickey Mouse of the Marvel world...the boring one.

2. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Disney is determined to milk these for every penny for as long as they can. There was a time when I looked forward to seeing the latest superhero movie, but now that effects have improved so much that they can show anything they can imagine, the stories have started to decline and I'm burning out.

The best superhero shows are on TV right now; The Flash and Daredevil.

Vidiot likes this.
  3. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The latter of which is more of the Disney milking you mentioned. :laugh: I have not seen Avengers: Age of Ultron yet, but there was nothing in Captain America: The Winter Soldier or Guardians of the Galaxy, the two most recent theatrical features from Marvel Studios, that suggested to me that the stories were starting to decline.

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  4. DreadPikathulhu

I thought the second Thor and the last two Iron Man movies were a step down from their previous films. We'll see how Ant-Man does.

5. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

The first Amazing Spider Man started out promising then went off the rails quickly once the Lizard appeared. By the end I was just shaking my head. No motivation to watch Pt 2 whatsoever, but I'm sure I'll catch it on television at some point.

Raimi's movies were at least coherent, with character development that explained motivations, etc. The third one might have been cheesy, but I enjoyed it. I actually liked all 3. I didn't mind the quick re-boot, or the changes made like mechanical web slingers, etc. I figured these worked in different facets you see in the comics themselves - "Web of...," "Amazing...," "Spiderman," etc. That said, if they reboot again, I wonder if they'll call it "Web of Spiderman"?

6. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The main reason they're rebooting is to bring Spider-Man into the Marvel movie universe as established in The Avengers and related movies, which the previous Spider-Man films were not connected to. Although, I think if the Garfield movies had been more popular they might have tried harder to find a way to make it work with him. But now they have an excuse to ditch that series and start again.

Their plan is to start with a very young Spider-Man -- like 15 years old -- played by an actor who's actually a teenager or at least closer to being one than Garfield or Maguire were.

davenav likes this.
  7. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

Bingo.

Weak writing in the last three didn't help.

(I realise that Raimi was forced into rewrites he didn't want on 3)

8. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Thing is there are plenty far more interesting characters out there that haven't had 5 mediocre movies/attempts already.

Like the Fantastic 4, leave it...won't work. Move on.

9. davenav

Well... Unlike Fantastic Four, Spider-Man is a top-selling character.

More importantly, he has not been the under-dog high schooler in most of it, and Marvel thinks that's what the audience that buys the comics is yearning for, and they're probably right.

Every few years, a new generation discovers Spider-Man. He's the kid that gets picked on in school, and who aches for the unattainable girl in his class. A character like that can survive a lot worse than 5 mediocre movies (which, in my view are really 3 mediocre films and two rather exceptional ones)

10. davenav

Well... Unlike Fantastic Four, Spider-Man is a top-selling character.

More importantly, he has not been the under-dog high schooler in most of it, and Marvel thinks that's what the audience that buys the comics is yearning for, and they're probably right.

Every few years, a new generation discovers Spider-Man. He's the kid that gets picked on in school, and who aches for the unattainable girl in his class. A character like that can survive a lot worse than 5 mediocre movies (which, in my view are really 3 mediocre films and two rather exceptional ones)

11. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Damn who wants to watch a movies of a whining 15 year old struggling with girls and getting his homework done in time?

I don't and as cinema ticket prices are so high it's not 8-14 year olds that are packing out the cinemas these days.

I was at day two of Avengers 2 and the average age of the folks in there was probably 35+.

35 year olds do not want to be bothered with the troubles of whiny teens.

35 year olds want to be Tony Stark...or Thor

12. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

Spiderman was always my favorite growing up. He still is. I wish Raimi had stayed on and done Vulture for Spiderman 4. The fact is Sony is 100% at fault for the failure of Spiderman 3. They should have left him alone to do what he did right with the first 2.

DreadPikathulhu, davenav and Dan C like this.
  13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

+1

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The thing that set Marvel comics apart from their competitors in the 60s heyday when most of the iconic characters were invented was how they had relatable problems such as family dysfunction, heart trouble, alcoholism, social ostracism, etc. Spider-man became their flagship title largely because he was the most relatable character. Readers of any age could see themselves in the face of his practical problems with girls, money, social awkwardness, and the associated frustrations. He was rarely if ever whiny except in thought balloons since he was forced to internalize many of his issues to avoid disclosing his secret identity. It made for good drama. I also have it on good authority that many 35+ year old adults used to be teenagers, but very few teenagers used to be 35+ year old adults.

Also, even if he were portrayed as a petulant child, that has not hurt the popularity of the cinematic Tony Stark one bit. :laugh:

15. Lonson

Ha, yeah. I wish it would as I am so over the Downey/Stark hybrid.

16. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

I'll take the playboy lifestyle and gadgets over being chased for my science paper/why my excellent grades are strangely low all of a sudden any day of the year.

17. Lonson

I hear ya, I'm just tired of RD Jr.

18. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

I'll have to see if I can rent this. I saw the first one and thought it was pretty good.

19. davenav

Even if you're right, and I don't think you are, the teen/young adult bracket constitutes a massive part of the movie-going public.

Besides, there are readers like myself, who lamented that they were playing him older. The Stan Lee/Steve Ditko creation was a ball of neurosis high schooler. But, he's not agonizing over test scores so much as agonizing over the gal in the next seat.

That dynamic can run and run. And, you don't have to be a teen to enjoy it.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2015
  20. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Spiderman was always my fav. Marvel comic.

Loved the first 2 Raimi movies.

I'm all for new Spidey.

21. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I've seen enough Spider-Man origin stories, not interested in reliving this yet again.

22. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I agree with others that they should let Spider-Man go on hiatus for at least a decade. Use that time to come up with a fresh take on the character and also build up some real anticipation for his return to the big screen.

Not gonna happen, though. Sony/Marvel want to strike while the iron is hot, before this comic book movie bubble finally bursts.

daglesj likes this.
  23. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

They aren't going to be retelling the origin again.

24. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Great! Superman and Batman movies should do the same.

DreadPikathulhu likes this.
  25. DreadPikathulhu

I've read a few issues featuring the "new" Spider-Man, Miles Morales, and they're pretty fun. Part of the charm of the character is that he's inexperienced and occasionally does stupid things.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.