Famous musicians involved with soundtracks for now forgotten / obscure movies

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mknappe, Dec 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. redmetalmoose

redmetalmoose Forum Resident

kd Lang did the soundtrack for "Even Cowgirls Get the Blues". I've never seen this Gus Van Sant film based on the Tom Robbins book but it was reviewed as a train wreck. I like the cd though.

Jarleboy and Yannick like this.
  2. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

King Kobra did the songs for the movie Black Roses under the name "Black Roses"
    Oddly there is also a King Kobra song on there as well.

3. redmetalmoose

A customer gave me the "City of Angels"soundtrack.The cover has Meg Ryan and Nicolas Cage on it.The movie is obscure to me.
    The cd has Jimi Hendrix -Red House
    John Lee Hooker-Mama,You Got a Daughter
    Peter Gabriel-I Grieve
    Eric Clapton-Further On Up The Road
    U2,Gabriel Yared and a pretty good Alanis Morissette tune-Uninvited.

4. ARK

ARK Forum Miscreant

And "Iris" by the Goo Goo Dolls"

5. DJ LX

DJ LX Forum Resident

John Fahey, Pink Floyd and a bunch others appear on the Zabriskie Point soundtrack.

Fullbug likes this.
  6. Sill Nyro

Sill Nyro Forum Resident

Unfortunately, I think Vision Quest is forgotten. It's a good coming of age film in my opinion. Madonna appeared on the film's soundtrack with her song "Crazy for You". She also made a cameo in the film.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  7. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

The second part of Magma's MDK trilogy, which Christian Vander now refers to as "Wurdah Itah", was originally released as a Vander solo LP which claimed to be a soundtrack to the film "Tristan & Iseult". A couple of black and white fragments appeared on YT a few years ago, and more recently the director of this alleged film posted a shorter color fragment. Perhaps one of the worst films ever made, but the soundtrack features a completely different recording of the sections of music used in the film, so Magma fans will want to cringe through it anyway.

Part two (even worse): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZ1HyYL0-PM
    The director's cut: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwAm84v-Zqw

8. music4life

music4life Senior Member

Burton Cummings starred in as well as wrote songs for the film "Melanie" in 1981. There was no soundtrack, but several of the songs appear on Hus 1981 album "Sweet Sweet".

The Bee Gees had a few songs on the soundtrack for "Stayin' Alive" which was a big flop sequel to "Saturday Night Fever".

Jarleboy likes this.
  9. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Co-sign. Had no idea this existed before I found it on one of my crate digging expeditions the other day. Really shows JPJ's musical range.

10. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It also featured singer/songwriter Victoria Williams acting.

It was a train wreck, but I get the impression that no movie made of that book could be anything other than a train wreck.

Jarleboy likes this.
  11. redmetalmoose

Chris,what was that big budget movie that Kate Bush sang 'Lyra' on?I know it didn't do as well as the studio hoped.

12. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The Golden Compass.

It was the first of a trilogy, but didn't do well enough for the other two films to be made. That was a shame, as they did a wonderful job with it.

Jarleboy and phillyal1 like this.
  13. redmetalmoose

Yes. I agree. It's too bad they didn't film all three at once like Jackson did with the LOTR movies. I imagine that Nicole and Daniel Craig might have balked at a commitment like that.

Jarleboy likes this.
  14. Retro Hound

Retro Hound Forum Resident

B.B. King did the soundtrack to Into the Night with Jeff Goldblum and Michelle Pfeiffer. David Bowie and Carl Perkins are in the movie too and they have a fight scene!

15. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

And Anger also worked with Jagger on this film, as Jagger composed with a Moog. Jagger's work wasn't issued with LR either, but with Invocation of My Demon Brother.

[​IMG]

Coricama likes this.
  16. Yannick

Yannick Forum Resident

Elton also has done the musical score for the movie The Muse (starring Sharon Stone as the title character), with his keyboardist Guy Babylon (RIP) having written the orchestral arrangements for it.

German pop/house producer Mousse T (of "Horny" and Tom Jones' "Sex Bomb" fame) has scored several German movies since 2006, most of which were directed by Marc Rothermund.

17. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Miles Davis - Siesta

18. ask a 20 yr old on this forum about that movie and what band was in it I will bet most will not know

19. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I'm sure others have covered it but there were a range of so called "blaxploitation" movies around the early 70s which gave rise to soundtracks probably better known than the films:

Trouble Man by Marvin Gaye
    Across 110th Street by Bobby Womack
    The Mack by Willie Hutch
    Superfly by Curtis Mayfield
    (arguably) Shaft by Isaac Hayes

I vaguely recall that Earth Wind and Fire's classic That's the Way of the World album was written as a soundtrack, but wouldnt swear to it...

20. ginchopolis

ginchopolis Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Dhreview16 likes this.
  21. The Standells come in at 1:26

22. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Chicago wrote and performed music for the film "Electra Glide in Blue", which was produced by their producer James William Guercio. A few band members also had minor role in the film.

Here is a Terry Kath song from the closing credits:

23. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

So ? Ask a 20 year old cinephile who wrote "Please Please Me" on a movie forum and see what kind of answer you get.
    Speculating about lowest common denominators doesn't make much of a point.

The bottom line is Blow-up is a much discussed reference in cinema history. If people know nothing about it, it's on them. Culture is a-callin'.

24. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

Dave Grohl & Louise Post (Veruca Salt) did the soundtrack to Touch, and it's pretty good.

25. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

CHICAGO's TERRY KATH singing "Tell Me" for the movie "Electra Glide in Blue".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.