MONO cartridges: AT-33Mono or 2M Mono

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Johnny Vinyl, Apr 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

If it was reported in Stereophile that John Grado says they are true mono, I'd be inclined to believe it. :)

2. ghost rider

ghost rider Forum Resident

I agree this makes the most sence
    But for 100 bucks if it makes it sound better and I get to use my unused Project debut I may be good with that but will it sound better than my VPI played in mono?

3. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Generally, if the lp's that you're playing tend be more worn and noisy, yes. If they're generally new reissues the difference will be less.

action pact likes this.
  4. Johnny Vinyl

Johnny Vinyl Vinylholic Thread Starter

I just discovered that the other day. I'm going to send and email to my dealer to find out how much the MONO version of the Ref. Platinum is. This may be a good option for me as I know how the standard Platinum sounds on my Revolver Red, and I was very pleased with it.

5. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Except there is another review by Art Dudley where he says that JG told him that his carts were made to "favor" horizontal compliance over vertical, and when tested the cart had slightly louder vertical modulation output than either that of Lryra or Benz mono's. http://www.stereophile.com/content/listening-30-page-2

Again, I'm sure they sound fine. The Reference Platinum retails for about the same as the AT33mono, which is a step up from the AT3 Mono, and is said to be terrific. I would base my decision on the kind of records to be played.

6. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

D'oh!

7. A mono switch is just as effective though, isn't it?

8. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Will a true mono cart make distortion from wear less audible or does it only the pops and crackle and the noise floor?

9. rocky dennis

rocky dennis Forum Resident

Not even close. My AT33MONO cart has vastly increased my enjoyment of mono records, especially those that are far from mint condition, compared to listening with a stereo cartridge using the mono switch on my preamp. It's worth every penny.

10. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

No. Go back and read through the thread.

11. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Yes. The difference will not be subtle.

ClausH likes this.
  12. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Interesting. I have to look into this.

13. I've also read that there's a cutoff date or something where mono carts are most effective. Like the mono carts are good pre 1965 albums but not after? Anyone have info on this?

14. kt66brooklyn

kt66brooklyn Senior Member

I think the consensus is 1964 as the cutoff date for microgroove (mono) grooves. Steve, our host, has said that he has seen a number of mono titles cut after 1964 or so with a stereo cutter head. It is no means a hard and fast rule though and there may be a number of records cut after then to the earlier profile.

15. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I believe the date is 1968. Mono records before that were cut with a mono head. Mono records after 68 were cut with a stereo head, so if played with a true mono cart without any vertical compliance you could ruin the record. True mono carts like the AT ones discussed here only generate signal from horizontal movement, yet provide a bit of vertical compliance without picking up any signal so as not to hurt records cut after 68.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.