Shops that treat customers as thieves

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by onlyconnect, May 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion Thread Starter

Just back from San Francisco. Didn't have much time for shopping but went to Rasputin on Powell and Amoeba on Haight. Rasputin I didn't get further than the ground floor because I was asked to check my bag; when I have expensive electronics in there I just won't do that. Ameoba I went prepared and bagless, but still noticed that when you buy something, you don't get your purchases until you walk out of the door, presumably to stop you slipping something else into the bag.

I guess this kind of practice comes from bitter experience but on the other hand it makes it harder for me to shop at these stores. I would not be offended if the store wanted to search my bag on exit but checking a bag often isn't on for me; but more to the point, it just gets you off to a bad start in your feelings about the retailer.

Tim

2. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

My concern is not so much with the security "at the gate" as the security on the individual used CD packages.

The Half Price Books chain in the Dallas/Fort Worth area varies by store. Most CD's are on the floor in open cases and inspectable. But, some are kept behind the counter. There seems to be some kind discrimination based on artists with higher theft rates perhaps but one employee tried to claim to me it was based on price (obviously not true). There is one (in San Marcos, TX) where they use packing tape to seal each CD case. It definitely curbs my interest in shopping there, who wants to bring a pile of CD's up to the counter and have an employee have to get each one or open each one so you can check the quality/pressing and then wrestle with getting all the tape off at home.

Movie Trading Company shrink wraps everything, but employees have always been fine with un shrinkwrapping them before purchase so they can be looked over.

Indie shops like CD Source (now closed) and CD Universe have everything open but keep a watchful eye on the shoppers.

I remember Amoeba in LA they were all in those big plastic security packages, no way to inspect the CD without having an employee open them up, ruins the browsing experience.

While it is nice to be trusted and shops who trust me are frequented the most, I do sometimes encounter empty CD cases where someone has obviously walked off with the disc, so I can understand their desire to control their inventory. I guess I have to blame society more than the merchant. It isn't the retailer I get bad feelings toward, it is the criminals that has led them to adopt those policies.

3. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion Thread Starter

It's odd that most other types of stores have no problem if customers have bags. Why are record/cd shops particularly at risk?

Tim

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.