Elvis Presley FTD CD reissues (part 6)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Feb 15, 2015.

1. heatherly

heatherly Well-Known Member

He could donate disc one of Sunrise to his public library and hopefully convert a young gal or guy into a fan ! :righton:

2. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

If nothing else though, Sunrise disc 2 is an economical way to obtain the acetates, the best of the Sun outtakes, and some of the Hayride live material, if one doesn't have ABFT or the $400+ dollars needed to purchase it these days. And for my money, the acetates do sound better and more natural in their unfutzed-with state on Sunrise, though I'm happy to have both versions.

I'm sure you're right that there will be some sort of Sun reissue in the next few years. I'm not so convinced it will be a mainstream release though. I think it's equally likely it will be an FTD, most likely a classic album that uses the original 1975 Sun Sessions release as its framework.

3. Pants Party

Pants Party MOSTLY PEACEFUL

I have to imagine a Sun Sessions (1975) FTD release would be in our future. It would cover most (but likely not all) of the ground from A Boy From Tupelo. Maybe it could be a 2 volume release? Toss in a Hayride or something, if need be.

BTW... the cover art of the Sun Sessions couldn't be any less "Sun." :shake: Way too Happy Days. Where's the Fonz?

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  4. Brian_Svoboda

Brian_Svoboda Senior Member

They should release the "A Boy From Tupelo" discs in hi-res. It would cost Sony next to nothing; not interfere with their marketing strategy; preserve the integrity of Ernst's book; give the music the presentation and availability it deserves; and make me buy it yet another time. A win/win/win/win/win.

Pants Party and Trashman like this.
  5. Rick H.

Rick H. Raised on AM Radio

Received Elvis As Recorded At The Boston Garden in the mail today. I think it's a really great show. I just enjoy the shows he gave at this point in his career. 1971 and 1972 were definitely a change in the way he acted with the audience. A lot less chit chat, you know just getting down to business and singing the songs and singing them well. I also picked up Destination USA so I will give that a listen tomorrow hopefully. I also grabbed 3 shows from 1969. Hot August Night, Return To Vegas and Elvis At The International. I already have In Person At The International release. I have a lot of listening to do.

6. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff Thread Starter

You've never been to Yorkshire have you? :laugh:

card00569_fr.jpg

Pants Party, mikrt17 and heatherly like this.
  7. hodgo

After lunch yesterday it turned into the day from hell, I had a couple of issues going on at home, then I logged into my EBay account only to find it had been hacked and somebody was using my ID to con folks out of a lot of money. The upshot being I spent 4 hours on the phone to a very helpful E bay rep and to another helpful rep from my ISP due to me Email also being hacked.

To get to the point, by early evening last night I was really wound up and not in the best of moods to say the least, so I pulled out some Elvis, now I don't normally listen to Elvis live beyond August 1970, however for some reason I pulled out the Legacy Edition of "Live on Stage in Memphis" and listened to the Richmond show, to my complete surprise I thoroughly enjoyed it, Elvis was in fine voice, good humour and really putting some effort in, it was a pleasant and highly enjoyable surprise.

The upshot being after the show had finished, I'd calmed down and ended being in a good mood at last, I shall be listening to this again very soon.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
  8. mikrt17

mikrt17 Life has surface noise.

Sorry to hear about your terrible day Graham I know how you feel we've all been there but glad to hear
    that Elvis came to the rescue and calmed you down, I will now listen to this show myself I've not heard it
    in a while.

heatherly and hodgo like this.
  9. bigskyaudio

bigskyaudio Forum Resident

I hope that you get everything taken care of Graham with your ebay account and that your feedback profile can be corrected if need be. Music does have a way of soothing and calming the nerves doesn't it?

Rick

10. hodgo

Thanks fellas :wave:

Yes music does have a way of soothing the soul, it's no exaggeration to say it saved my life in the darkest days after my accident and disability and still has the same affect today.

mikrt17, artfromtex and Rick H. like this.
  11. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Ah yes! :) Glad you found it an enjoyable listen, it is a great show and Elvis was really strong in early 74. There are good shows from every year, but the later you go you really need to hunt and peck to find the diamonds in the rough.

JLGB and hodgo like this.
  12. hodgo

It was indeed an enjoyable listen and as I stated above a pleasant surprise. The Richmond show is well recorded and I actually love the reverb and mono sound neither of which detract from making it a really enjoyable listening experience.

I probably won't go out and buy any more shows from 1974 because these two along with the original album CD will more than suffice, I can however see me pulling them all out a little more often.

13. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

After March 1974, Elvis never sang that well again on stage. That is why the live Memphis album was somewhat revered by fans because of the high quality vocal work (which is no longer evident with the appalling mix of the Legacy Edition). In fact, a strong argument can be made that the March tour was the strongest, most consistent vocal work since the fall of 1972. The Richmond recording is gem.

Pants Party and hodgo like this.
  14. Rick H.

Rick H. Raised on AM Radio

I attended his show in Seattle in April of 1976. I have an audience recording of that show. I thought he sang real well. I've read that there is a soundboard of that show that hasn't been released. I really like the audience recording that I have but an FTD of the show would be nice.. But then again maybe a better recording will not be the best thing. I think I would love it though.

Pants Party, hodgo and Mr. H like this.
  15. hodgo

Agreed!

This is why I pulled out the Richmond show rather than the main concert, at least on Richmond the vocals are nicely upfront which is now not the case with this new remix, another issue for me is there was quite an Electric atmosphere in the audience which is now also lacking as evidenced on "Why Me Lord".

I have the original configuration on CD which is mixed as it should be, can I ask how does the FTD of this show which is also a remix compare to the two alternatives?

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  16. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

The FTD contains a very good mix with Elvis' vocals prominently displayed. The controversies are that, 1) the false start before Help Me is omitted (who cares?) along with one or two other snippets of dialogue, and 2) there is a lot of reverb that some fans do not like (if you like the sound of Richmond, you will like the sound here). From my point of view, the FTD is essential and far superior to the flawed Legacy Edition mix. I still think the original album contains the best overall presentation because most of the concert bloat is edited out, but for a complete show, the FTD is the best one to these ears.

Pants Party likes this.
  17. hodgo

I may just have to add the FTD to my small want list whilst it's still readily available, I agree on the original CD being the best way to hear this concert, although I can understand why they did it (Aloha), I think it's criminal they left such a great version of "Steamroller Blues" off, it slays the Aloha version by a country mile!

JimmyCool and artfromtex like this.
  18. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

The FTD is hard-limited quite heavily.

19. hodgo

Claus, is this a Reidel job?

20. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

Yes. Not everything she did was bad but this one is definitely loud.

I prefer the original album. Apart from Steamroller, all the best performances are there.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
    hodgo likes this.
  21. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Luckily, for those who have the Complete Masters set, you get the original mix/running order with Vic's mastering.

I really like the FTD of the Memphis show, too. As stated "Steamroller Blues" is a killer take here. Isn't that version on the "Platinum" box set?

Pants Party and hodgo like this.
  22. hodgo

I keep reading these threads and looking at various FTD releases to add to the collection and keep going back and forth on what I should and shouldn't add to the collection......

So far I've definitely ruled out.......

1. All the 70's soundboards with one exception, see below.
    2. I've also ruled out all the 60's soundtracks with the exception of those three I have already.
    3. Out of the classic albums, I've ruled out the following........
    a. "Love Me Tender" (Waste of Money should have been combined with "Elvis", Disc 2 unlistenable, plus the Vince Caro JHR/LMT CD will suffice)
    b. "Love Letters" (Country/Love Letters Legacy will suffice)
    c. "Good Times", "Raised On Rock" & "Promised Land" ("Elvis at Stax" 3 x CD will suffice)
    d. "Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis" (Now ruled out per comments in the above two posts re mastered too loud)

This leaves me looking at the following though with concerns in some cases..........

1. "Elvis" (Should have been combined with "Love Me Tender", disc 2 unlistenable but still can't help feeling I should have it for the main albums extra tracks & apparently superior mastering)
    2. "King Creole" (No brainer will be buying!)
    3. "The Return to Vegas" (Do I really need another 1969 show, are they that different to the "In Person" FTD & "Viva Las Vegas" disc 2)
    4. "Hot August Night" (Do I really need another 1969 show, are they that different to the "In Person" FTD & "Viva Las Vegas" disc 2)
    5. "On Stage Season" (Distorted vocals on disc 1)

23. ClausH

ClausH Senior Member

3. YES. Probably the best post- comeback show. The sound is not the best but it's definitely above average and the best it has ever sounded.

4. Much of this was used on the In Person album and that says a lot. It's a great show and the sound is great.

5. A great set that showed how much the show changed during the engagement. The sound is what it is, it's definitely the best these shows have ever sounded and the fact that no complete shows were professionally recorded makes this a must.

24. hodgo

Thanks Claus...

Oh if I only had willpower :help:

25. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

3 and 5 are soundboards, however the performances are very energetic and Elvis is killing it.

#4, to me, is the "be all end all" of '69 shows. I know a lot of it got used for "In Person", but it is still worth buying. The remix/remaster job done here is fantastic.

I have all the other '69 shows and I think this one trumps them all in terms of combined performance and sound quality. Elvis and the gang brought their A game that night for sure.