Anyone using an integrated amp?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Cody @ TARA, Jan 12, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

My suggestion to demo an LFD was aimed at tomd, I only posted my give it a spin comment on the back of your [correctly noted] pricing difference.
    Yes, DB's services are without doubt excellent and as a customer nothing is ever too much for these guys. they know full well and their service is based on, great service equals returning custom.

I want to hear about the Diablo please. I'm still using the Dino but have been thinking to maybe upgrade this part of the chain. The other option is to add a psu to the Dino while upgrading the unit to the latest spec.

2. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

I added the PSU and I have to say you should try it out. I've never heard the Diablo so I'm looking forward to that. The way I see it, and I may be wrong, the phono stage is as important as the amp so I expect to get the best improvements going that route.
    I'll post my thoughts when I've listened to it, hopefully the weekend,

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  3. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    YBA Integre, original version, almost old enough to be vintage now.

wownflutter, Gavinyl, timind and 5 others like this.
  4. dennis the menace

dennis the menace Forum Veteran

Yes I was...and I still am. I had a Rotel RA-1570 integrated that I just changed to upgrade to a DeVialet D120.

5. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I have an Exposure 2010S and a Harman Kardon HK-6600 (from around 1991).

6. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

[​IMG]

Fisher X-101-C

7. inperson

inperson Senior Member

Is this solid state? What's the turntable?

8. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

Tube. Turntable is an AR XA.

9. Beautiful! I love the YBA gear!

10. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

I love it. I've sometimes thought I'd like something with some of the modern conveniences (like a remote, or onboard DAC), but every time I think about it I realize I'd likely have to pay a lot of money to get equivalent performance. It just seems to get out of the way of the music. I also have an Anthem Integrated One tube amp with lots of exotic NOS tubes installed, and anytime I put it in the system instead of the YBA all I can hear is the amp.

[​IMG]

11. thesisinbold

thesisinbold Forum Resident

Croft here.

12. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Modwright

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  13. David Ellis

David Ellis Forum Resident

Right. About the Diablo. I picked it up Friday went home and installed the Diablo and it's power suppy into my system (see my profile page). At first it sounded somewhat agressive. There was some more detail but also some distortion (I listen mostly to jazz and classical) when the guys are blowing hard e.g. Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Sonny Rollins. And in particular it was noisier than my Dino. I altered the settings a couple of times to get the volume right. I thought that I'd give it an hour to warm up and then try again. No difference. I wasn't drawn into the music. I tried some rock (Led Zep on Classic, Van Morrison, Warren Zevon) with no better results. In fact when I tried the recent vinyl release of I Am Shelby Lynne it was positively painful (this is not a great recording). Anyway I thought it might be my mood so I left it. On Sunday evening I put my system back to how it was with the Dino + PSU. Harmony was restored. I had a great listening session. Maybe a little less detailed but the music just flowed beautifully.
    I think the Diablo is ruthless and in the right system could sound wonderful but not in mine.
    NB this was all done with my ears in my system in my listening room:)
    In your case I would definitely audition the PSU or NCPSU. That will make a very pleasing upgrade.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  14. skateaway

skateaway Forum Resident

Musical Fidelity M6 500i.

No such thing as too much power :righton:

15. BilboAlaska

BilboAlaska Forum Resident

Orton. I love it.

16. Gumboo

Gumboo Forum Resident

Enjoying my 7 month old ROGUE SPHINX

17. robotk

robotk Member

Exposure 2010s2. Tremendous value - really nice little amp.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  18. bodine

bodine Senior Member

Yep, anvil-sized Marantz PM7200.

19. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

Interesting hearing your viewpoint of the Anthem integrated. I just picked up an Anthem Pre 1 tube pre-amp, listening to it at the moment running into my CJ MV-45 and Reference 3a mm de Capo speakers. I picked up the Anthem mostly because it was a great deal, not to be ignored. The pre uses the identical box so I did a double take when I saw the shot of the integrated, but also has a massive outboard power supply. Very neutral and produces a wealth of detail. I've been using a CJ PV-12 for many years now and well.... the Anthem has managed to push it aside.

20. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

This is the second integrated I've owned since a Superscope back in the 70's.
    The Fisher KX-200 with 7591's really sounds good with electric guitar.

[​IMG]

21. avanti1960

avanti1960 Forum Resident

both at once. started with a NAD 356 integrated but the 80W/ channel wasn't dynamic or loud enough. added a NAD 150w/ channel power amp via the pre outs. the power amp drives the woofers and the integrated drives the midrange and tweeter. it's as if the integrated got a booster stage.
    i would be happy with just an integrated if they had more power. mainly for incredible dynamics and drive at moderate volume.

22. Jim G.

Jim G. Geezer with a nice stereo!

As I remember, this IS THE reason for separates.

And this is the reason for high quality interconnects and BALANCED I/O.

And My favorite, The integrated receivers that are made to look like a group of separates sitting on top of each other.

23. nm_west

nm_west Forum Resident

We call them craigslist cruisers around here. :D

24. ThorensSme

ThorensSme Forum Resident

Line Magnetic 216ia.

IanL and Rolltide like this.
  25. BluTom

BluTom Forum Resident

Currently running one of these. Set it and forget it. Very happy with the sound via the built in DAC and MM phono section. Good connectivity and general features.
    [​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.