Phish Amsterdam 1997 release

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pbuzby, May 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member Thread Starter

phish, John Fell, rstamberg and 3 others like this.
  2. *Zod*

*Zod* Forum Resident

1992 is more known to me than 97

3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member Thread Starter

One of my college friends in the 90's was a big fan of the SBDs from April 92 like the one where they keep putting lines from "Catapult" in the end of "David Bowie," but the band have not released much from that year.

4. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

'97-'98 is my favorite Phish era. Deep funk all the way!

rstamberg, JayB, phish and 1 other person like this.
  5. james

james Summon The Queen

Late 1995 and 97-98 for me too

This release looks great

johnnypaddock likes this.
  6. jay.dee

jay.dee Forum Resident

Before I learnt the news I had seen a lot of enthusiasm about Spring 97 Amsterdam show, so it is just another set to add to the growing list of the recently released shows on my wish list (Toronto 92, Darien Lake 93, Niagara 95, Raleigh 99).

Here is an elaborated review of the first show from the upcoming box:
    http://phishthoughts.com/2009/02/17/twelve-years-ago-21797/

7. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Same here.

8. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I need this right now. Love '96-'97.

9. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I'm pleased with the way things have been going in Phish land. I attended both the Niagara 95 and Toronto 92 shows in person, and was happy to have them released. Europe 97 is also always a welcome release.

Now... let's get on with things... and drop Rift vinyl. No need to wait for a special day. Just do it.

10. IndyTodd

IndyTodd Senior Member

Glad to see that this is coming out on cd vs. some of their other recent download only releases.

11. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I was at the second night in July. Very fun show. The download sound quality was lacking, so I haven't listened to it much. This ought to be great!

12. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Great review, thanks for posting.

jay.dee likes this.
  13. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I was at the February show, but have never heard a soundboard of it, so I'm excited to hear it again, and I know the July shows get a lot of love but I've never heard them at all. Quite a memorable night, we got there early and camped out in the front row at Page's spot, were able to keep our coffee shop products on the stage when not in use.

14. Yankee8156

Yankee8156 Senior Member

15. JayB

JayB Senior Member

People are starting to get this..looking forward to digging into it over the next week

rstamberg likes this.
  16. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

Box arrived this morning. Not much in the way of packaging (not that I care). Cardboard sleeves that all fit inside a single box (not the magnetized/hinged box from Hampton Comes Alive).
    One interesting thing, to cut down on the number of discs, the second show starts in the middle of disc 3.
    Let the ripping commence!

17. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Only could judge in the car today but it sounds really good to my ears!

rstamberg likes this.
  18. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Listened to the 2/17/97 show while doing yard-work..great 2nd set.

That version of "Carini" (especially the jam they do the 2nd half of the song) is stunning! Wasn't really familiar with it before today.

rstamberg likes this.
  19. B-Mike

B-Mike Forum Resident

That's a looooooong Stash on the third show.

rstamberg likes this.
  20. JimSmiley

JimSmiley Team Blue Note

Sounding good this morning. Love multi-track Phish.

Quincy, rstamberg and johnnypaddock like this.
  21. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

This sort of skirts around the fact that with minimal editing of crowd noise 2/17 and 7/2 will each fit on only 2 CD's, and 7/1 only misses 2 CD's by a couple of minutes.

22. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Listened to the 2/17/91 last night. Brought back a lot of memories as I had not heard it in ages. I'd forgotten how good that second set jam sequence was, and they were really on for most of the first set as well. The feeling in the building was, as you might imagine, very intense during the Carini jam. I believe I took a couple photos during the show, will see if I can dig them up and figure out how to post them to the thread.

jay.dee likes this.
  23. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Trying to post photos from 2/17/97 show here, but can't figure out how to do it as a non-Photobucket, non-Flickr member. I have them on my phone and Facebook, and can email them, but have no idea how to get them onto the forum. Have been trying several different ways but can't figure it out, but I'm not as tech-savvy as some of you. Oh well.

24. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I really appreciate this release a lot. SLIP STITCH AND PASS is probably my favorite Phish live album -- and not just 'cause it's a single disc, although I appreciated that, too. There's just something unique to the whole vibe(s) of these shows, that time, the places. I love HAMPTON COMES ALIVE -- the entire enchilada -- but AMSTERDAM '97 is hot on its heels in my house. And by the way, the recordings of these particular sets of shows is remarkable and uniquely open, but real clean, too. Sounds good to me, in other words.

25. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Finally figured it out. Here are a few shots from the 2/17/91 show, plus a couple shots from the venue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.