Jethro Tull "Stand Up" CD and/or LP

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KeninDC, Sep 29, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

In this case, as a result of being played on old 1960s turntables with heavy tracking arms (sometime 3-5 gr. or even more). These records play with constant surface noise especially noticeable on higher notes (SSSSSS-sound).

2. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Groove damage can come across in several sonic forms. The most common one seems to be a little distortion and/or fuzzing accompanying certain higher frequencies during playback. So the clean sibilance of an 's' sounds more like 'sshh.' Luckily, stylus shape and cartridge quality can reduce or attenuate minor damage to the point it is longer apparent.

zongo likes this.
  3. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

Sniping is the best way to win an Ebay auction, Don't bid until the last 10 seconds of the auction, they won't have time to bid again. Bidding too early lets people with more money than sense outbid you. this has worked for me for 14 years, and you usually only lose to other snipers with more money!

4. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Forum Resident

The original UK pink Island LP (the one you can see as my avatar) is the best I've ever heard. It sounds so powerful compared to the original Chrysalis CDs (and I have both UK and US editions).

The remaster sounds clearer but brighter and EQed.

A New Day Yesterday is great for comparing: listen to the cymbals in the UK Island LP!

5. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

exist 3 releases of the pink... all have same matrix? same sound quality?

First issue: orange bulls eye pink label (this one).Earliest first issue sleeves had no stereo credits on spine and E.J Day printer credits on rear of sleeve.)It is here,Jethro Tull - Stand Up

(Second issue: pink black block i label.Jethro Tull - Stand Up

(Third issue: pink white i label.)Jethro Tull - Stand Up no sleeve printer credits) and Jethro Tull - Stand Upwith sleeve printer credits E.J Day.)

6. Halloween Jack

Halloween Jack Forum Resident

Well, I stopped getting more editions (LP or CD) of Stand Up so I cannot compare the sound from my second LP issue with the others (I should get more; it's my favorite album!)

All those issues have the same matrix numbers except the last one you posted. It has the "+A2" character added.

It is my understanding that they all sound great and you don't have to worry about the different Island pink labels.

7. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

great info! thanks

TWO MORE:

1. any review of the EMI 100, 1997 ???
    [​IMG]

2. and exist a PORKY/PECKO reissue, any info?
    http://www.discogs.com/Jethro-Tull-Stand-Up/release/1930681

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  8. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

one note to add to Raunchnroll's wrap-up: the -3U cut exists on the green Chrysalis label as well. Found one today.

9. Elgar

Elgar New Member

I was looking through a friend's LP collection and he has a fairly early UK pressing of Stand Up The weird thing is that there is no matrix number on the B side. Any ideas? It's the genuine thing.

10. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

IIRC, there was almost no deadwax on side 2 on an Island UK early pink rim label version I had - so no room for the matrix number.

11. Elgar

Elgar New Member

Yes the cutting goes very close to the label. Does this issue have any significant value?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.