Anyone watch the FX series The Americans

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by kwadguy, Jan 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You gotta love the "Ramones" long hair wig Phillip wore in the scene where they tortured the South African apartheid guy in the abandoned building and lit him on fire.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

And by the way, that scene I just mentioned is by far the most horrific, violent, terrible scene in the history of the show. I actually had to turn my head and wince, the guy's screams and whimpers were so bad. Later on when <a certain character> shoots <another character> in the library, I thought that was extremely messy and horrible. And very realistic, kind of in a Hitchcockian way.

The scene where the parents have to explain <to another character> the truth about what's been going on was so dramatic, I just about held my breath. We've been waiting for that moment for three years! Really, really well done.

Last edited: May 3, 2015
    DeeThomaz and shokhead like this.
  3. Splungeworthy

Splungeworthy Forum Rezidentura

Stuffing Annalise's body into a suitcase, with all the bone cracking, is pretty cringe-worthy as well.

Vidiot likes this.
  4. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

That really freaked me out.

5. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

That was the second-worse. Really rough. I'm almost caught up and am getting ready to watch the series final tonight. No spoilers!

6. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

The Americans” has been renewed for a fourth season.
    Nick Grad and Eric Schrier, presidents of original programming for FX Networks and FX Productions made the announcement Tuesday.
    The Keri Russell and Matthew Rhys starrer, currently in its third season, has been handed a 13-episode order for Season 4, slated to debut in 2016.
    “Remarkably, this season of ‘The Americans’ has achieved even greater acclaim than that of its first two seasons,” Grad said. “The series has cemented it status with critics as television’s best current drama and arguably the best show on TV, and we couldn’t agree more.”
    Series creator Joe Weisberg and exec producer Joel Fields commented, “It’s been a once in a lifetime opportunity to make a show like this with the immensely talented and immeasurably supportive team at FX and Fox 21 Television Studios. We are blessed with an extraordinary cast and crew and grateful that we’ll all be able to continue telling this story that we love so much.”
    “The Americans,” set in end of the Cold War era, stars Russell and Rhys as Elizabeth and Philip Jennings, two married undercover Soviet spies who are posing as suburban Americans. Though their marriage was arranged, their relationship becomes more genuine each day, but is also tested by the escalation of the Cold War and their complex family dynamic. Noah Emmerich stars as their FBI Agent neighbor, Stan Beeman, who has become a threat to the couple.
    Weisberg and Fields exec produce, alongside Graham Yost (“Justified”), Daniel Sackheim and Amblin/DreamWorks Television’s Justin Falvey and Darryl Frank

Funny, rotten Tomatoes has Darryl Hickman playing Ben Canfield. That would be right for The Americans, a 17-episode American drama television series that aired on NBC from January to May 1961.

7. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

My wife and I are almost done with season 2, watched both on DVD via Netflix. Does fx ever show reruns, or marathon it before the new season starts? We want to catchup thru season 3 before the 4th season starts, and it doesn't look like it'll be on DVD anytime soon.

8. JorgeGvb

JorgeGvb Senior Member

If your willing to buy it, Season 3 can be streamed on Amazon Video.

9. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

If you can make it work, just buy season 3. (I bought it on Vudu) It's well, well worth it. There's some frakked up stuff that happens- and some brilliant acting from both leads and also the daughter.

10. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

We're watching Season 1 on Blu-ray now and really liking it on a few levels.
    Keri Russell more believable in her role than Matthew Rhys (can't look at him without thinking of his Brothers & Sisters character) but I'm nitpicking.
    Were subsequent seasons not released on Blu-ray?
    Doesn't look like it

11. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Season 2 is DVD only. Got it from Netflix. Season 3 isn't out on disc at all. Hoping fx marathons it before season 4 so I can dvr it and binge

12. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Season 3 is at least finally able to be pre-ordered on DVD. No release date yet. Should come out at least a few weeks before the show returns.

13. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the new season doesn't start until march :(

14. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

At least we're getting a new season!

I thought this show started well and has done nothing but improve since. I'm sort of amazed it's been shut out of the various awards (Emmys, Golden Globes, etc.), because I think it's absolutely top-notch. Maybe the later premiere will somehow bring it more attention (?).

Kubricker likes this.
  15. Lonson

I agree with you, the show has steadily improved. C'mon March.

16. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

It's possible -- by starting in March, it will wrap up season 3 during May sweeps. Could get it more attention, and perhaps a sign that FX has some faith in it as a property?

17. Lonson

Season 3 DVDs arrived yesterday and I'm starting to re-watch the season. Boy I wish this and last season were released on Blu-ray! The DVDs look fine. . . but they would look so much better on Blu-ray.

Blair G. likes this.
  18. VeeDub

VeeDub Senior Member

Season 4 is March 16th through June 8th, according to The Futon Critic.

Scopitone likes this.
  19. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Thank you! I just pre-ordered the season on Vudu. :goodie:

20. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

What is the prognosis on this being the last season? Has anything been said?

21. sloaches

sloaches Forum Resident

I think I read somewhere that the producers want at least five seasons, and FX is willing to do it.

22. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I'm with you, would be better on Blu-ray.
    I'll hold out a while longer.
    Meanwhile I'll catch up on Homeland

23. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

If you plug "The Americans" into your google news search, it would appear that the fourth season...

...could be the best yet. Uniformly excellent reviews are all I see. :righton:

Here's a virtually spoiler-free example:
    "The first four episodes (that’s how many were made available to critics) are among the best the series has ever done."

Kubricker and Scopitone like this.
  24. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

Can't wait. Love this show, and each season so far has been better than the one before it. I never had to grieve the loss of "Breaking Bad," because just as it ended equally good (but less-heralded) shows like "Fargo" and "The Americans" stepped right in.

Lewisboogie, mrjinks and Kubricker like this.
  25. mindblanking

mindblanking The Bourbon King

Why am I the first one posting? Season 4 premiere was great! This show is really phenomenal and deserves more discussion here.

Lewisboogie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.