Favorite Elvis cover song?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thxphotog, Mar 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    Mylene likes this.
  2. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

The Milky Bar Kids ~ Flaming Star

mrstats likes this.
    mrstats and artfromtex like this.
  4. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

UB40-Can't Help Falling In Love

5. Price.pittsburgh

Price.pittsburgh Forum Resident

Just because Elvis didn't write his songs, that doesn't make all of them covers. Many were originally written for him by professional songwriters. He did do a lot of covers of old R&B and Country songs, but this thread deals with songs that were written for him that he recorded first.

starduster likes this.
  6. YooperGlen

YooperGlen Forum Resident

Heartbreak Hotel - Stan Freberg
    Houn' Dawg - Homer and Jethro
    (Yes, I know they're parodies.)

7. sixtiesstereo

sixtiesstereo Senior Member

Other than for the cheesy organ solo in the middle, Cliff Richard's pounding
    cover of "Angel" is my favorite cover version, mainly due to the completely different
    take of doing it. A slow, beautiful ballad by Elvis turned into a terrific big beat
    version by Cliff.........

mrstats likes this.
  8. As Mud were the first band/group I bought records by (still have them, still think they're great) I'll go with their cover of One Night.
    Good old Les Gray, Dave Mount, Ray Stiles and super talent, Rob Davis. Those were the days..........

9. Mal

Mal Phorum Physicist

"Hey, Memphis" - LaVern Baker

SUM TO MONO for optimum results!

[Mac OS X: System Preferences/Accessibility/"Play stereo audio as mono"]

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  10. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

that's the wrong elvis!!!

11. Agent of Fortune

Agent of Fortune Däncing Barefoot

It's been said already, but these two are just too incredible.....

Number one...

The Jeff Beck Group (with Rod Stewart)

All Shook Up

12. Agent of Fortune

Agent of Fortune Däncing Barefoot

Number two...

The Jeff Beck Group (with Rod Stewart)

Jailhouse Rock

13. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Milsap does not appear on either of those songs. Elvis overdubbed the harmony vocal himself on "Don't Cry Daddy." According to the session logs, the only Elvis song that Milsap appeared on was "Gentle on My Mind", playing piano and possibly doing backing vocals. Milsap claims he played piano on "Kentucky Rain" but the session logs don't support his claim so I'm not sure what to make of that. Milsap never covered "Kentucky Rain" but his own hit "Smokey Mountain Rain" is lyrically a rewrite of "Kentucky Rain."

artfromtex likes this.
  14. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

"He did do a lot of covers (of old R&B and Country songs...) "
    That's my point (+ "Hymens/Spirituals" + "Blues" + etc.).
    "... but this thread deals with songs that were written for him that he recorded first."
    No, that's not alright Mama [ha, ha!!]. vvv
    "Judy" 1st released by Teddy Redell March 1960.
    "Any Day Now" is a song written by Burt Bacharach and Bob Hilliard in 1962 & w/versions by Chuck Jackson in 1962 & Alan Price in 1965.
    &
    "Always on My Mind" originally recorded by Brenda Lee 1972.

"That's All Right" written & originally released by Arthur "BIG Boy" Crudup 1947.
    "The Girl of My Best Friend" written by Sam Bobrick and Beverly Ross & 1st released by Charlie Blackwell 1959
    "Guitar Man" is a 1967 song written & 1st released by Jerry Reed 1967.
    "The Girl of My Best Friend" is a song written by Sam Bobrick and Beverly Ross & 1st released by Charlie Blackwell 1959.
    "Hound Dog" is song by Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller, it was recorded by Willie Mae "BIG Mama" Thornton on August 13, 1952 in Los Angeles and released by Peacock Records in March 1953.

[JJ]
    So...

15. Look at the first post. It asks for favorite versions of songs made popular by Elvis, not recorded first by him.

Slokes likes this.
  16. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

17. GodBlessTinyTim

GodBlessTinyTim Forum Resident

Featuring, somewhere amidst the racket, Carter's brothers on ukulele and accordion and his 12-year-old neighbour on clarinet.

18. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

A cover is by definition a re-recording of a song that's already been released on record by someone else. The writer of the song doesn't matter. If a song was first recorded and released by Elvis, it is not a cover, even though he did not write it.

And for the record, Elvis didn't make any actual songwriting contribution to most of the songs for which he received songwriting credit (such as the ones you mentioned). The only two songs in which he contributed to the writing were "That's Someone You'll Never Forget" and "You'll Be Gone."

19. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Not in my book.

Costello

20. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

Ah, your book must be a novel about threadcrapping...

audiotom likes this.
  21. audiotom

audiotom I can not hear a single sound as you scream

Yeah sorry not intended to be negative or meanspirited

John Cale doing Heartbreak Hotel is pretty dark and engaging

22. Licorice pizza

Licorice pizza Livin’ On The Fault Line

Dwight Yoakam - Mystery Train
    Paul McCartney - Blue Moon of Kentucky

23. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

No problem... It just seems like everytime there's any sort of "favorite" thread here devoted to Elvis Presley, at least one person will pop in and say something about Elvis Costello. It's gotten to be a pet peeve of mine, hence my comment.

audiotom likes this.
  24. heavysoulbrutha

heavysoulbrutha Forum Resident

Love this version of "If You Talk In Your Sleep" by Little Milton. Elvis first recorded the Red West/Johnny Christopher penned tune at the Stax Sessions in 1973 and it was a Top 20 hit. Little Milton released his version on Stax Records in 1975.

Shawn, mrstats and artfromtex like this.
  25. Folknik

Folknik Forum Resident

I thought that,too, at first. My vote would go to his frenetic cover of Stonewall Jackson's "I Washed My Face In Muddy Water", proving that no matter how much he aspired to be a crooner, he could still rock out in the '70s when the spirit moved him.

Shawn likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.