Name fairly obscure 90s band that had hit or two but are now forgotten

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mpayan, Dec 15, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. whatwhat

whatwhat Forum Resident

obscure after "criminal"?

maybe if you mean she never again appeared semi-naked in a heavy-rotation film clip...

not only did she go from strength-to-strength as an artist after tidal but she became an absolute critical darling (justifiably too; she's tops).

Rodz42 likes this.
  2. Django

Django Forum Resident

Fiona Apple, proof that the public like people who are slightly weird, as long as they are attractive.

3. Ditmasduke

Ditmasduke Forum Resident

4. Mikey679

Mikey679 Forum Resident

Well, I guess she is to me! LOL

5. Mikey679

Mikey679 Forum Resident

Can't say I've heard her name out there too often, how many top 40 hits has she had since 1996? Not saying she's a bad artist or anything but I don't think the masses have really heard anything outside of "Criminal". I know she's out there making music but seems she faded into more of the underground scene since that time.

6. Blender

Blender Forum Resident

Anyone mention Mary's Danish yet?

7. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Letters to Cleo
    Frente

8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

9. majoyenrac

majoyenrac Forum Resident

I haven't looked at responses so apologies if these have been stated but here are a few:

1-belly - hit was gepeto from star. You could put throwing muses here had they had a hit (and well maybe breeders were it not for the pixies connection). They were critic darlings back in the day...

2-elastica-connection from elastica. A pretty great album followed up 5-6 yrs later with another solid album (the menace) that didn't sell....maybe in Britain she's more known with the Damon albarn connection but what happened to Justine frischman anyway???? I'd love to hear more music.

3-mazzy star. Hope sandoval's voice is stunning, but I know these guys faded a bit and yet when they had their pretty excellent comeback a couple yrs ago it seemed to come and go to me--I found out about it last year....

4-the la's. Lee Mavers makes one of the decades absolute best albums (his debut) then disappears for at least 25 yrs.., there she goes became a bigger hit in the late 90s cover but the las original is light yrs better, and Looking Glass is an unmitigated classic....this is the "oar" of the 90's except far more hinged than Skip Spences acid casualty masterwork...

5- lemonheads -maybe I'm forcing this as unknown a bit--I'm still a big fan, but I really think Dando has become pretty unknown despite being a major talent--and quietly bringing some alt/punk/pop-country to the fringe masses 10 yrs before it was trendy...I love the lemonheads and you should too lol.

Rhapsody In Red and anthontherun like this.
  10. tenyearsgone

tenyearsgone New Member

Don't know if these have been mentioned yet because I really don't want to go through 19 pages, but Candlebox's first album and Filter are a couple I can think of.

11. majoyenrac

Karl wallinger was great...a perfectionist too...imagine what the waterboys could've been had wallinger and mike Scott figured out a way to collaborate....I mean the waterboys were still great, but I'd love to know what Karl could've done with the fishermans blues-forward stuff. Wallinger had a brain aneurysm that nearly did him in and cost him 10-15 yrs, thus causing them to be forgotten.

GodShifter likes this.
  12. Ditmasduke

Must be talking about Godspeed. I've actually jammed with Rob from Godspeed. Another coincidence, I was supposed to see Tommy from Godspeed perform tonight. He currently plays guitar in a reformed line up of the mid 80's Jersey hardcore band Mental Abuse.

Ever hear the band Horsey? Was ex members of Nudeswirl in that band. Similar vein but replace the "grunge" influences with heavier Southern rock.

13. Ditmasduke

the Lemonheads unlike many "pop up out of nowhere" alternabands in the 90's did actually start out playing as a hardcore band in Boston. they eventually evolved more in line with Husker Du and Dinosaur Jr. and then eventually more pop/country/folk type influences crept in. Also listen to the early works by the Goo Goo Dolls. Another band who recreated themselves after putting themselves through touring the punk rock circuits.

14. majoyenrac

Lemonheads also became more Evan Dando 'a band.....as Ben Deily left.

Dando never really lost his punk roots, but he was more adept at the countrified pop alt punk--he never sold out but kind of faded out doing his own thing and battling addiction.

If he wanted truly to play the game, he'd have been huge as he had a nice vocal style, a knack for melody, and an ability to write lyrics that at first seem basic, but often have a little deeper meaning behind the initial exterior.

They coulda been bigger than the goo goo dolls--I'm glad they weren't...

15. Pete Sorbi

Pete Sorbi Well-Known Member

Tracy Bonham - I think I mostly like the part where she just screams -

16. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

I grant you that she's more in the underground scene these days, but when I think of 'obscure' I'm thinking of most of the other bands posted in this thread where if you mentioned them to someone, 99% of them would be like 'who the hell is that?" I think the majority of people know who Fiona Apple is.

17. Rodz42

Rodz42 Forum Resident

This was a beautiful tune. Didn't realize that it was a hit in Canada. Probably why my friend who lived near the border knew the song and loved it and I've never found anyone else that heard it before

18. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I know Tommy. And he's actually the link between Sugartooth and Nudeswirl as he and Shane played in Slaprocket.

19. whatwhat

whatwhat Forum Resident

"mother mother" was a great tune.

Binni likes this.
  20. manicpopthrill

manicpopthrill Forum Resident

Justine is a visual artist living somewhere in Colorado.

21. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

The first time I heard that song on the radio, I thought it was a new Courtney Love song. It sounded like "Violet" for the Lilith Fair set.

22. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

We had many in Canada who probably never made it anywhere else:
    The Age of Electric
    Copyright
    Zuckerbaby
    Econoline Crush
    Wide Mouth Mason
    Moxy Fruvous
    Vibrolux
    The Gandharvas
    ... and many others

23. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

This self-undermining thread proves that nothing is forgotten in an Internet world.

24. Faust3D

Faust3D Sick of it all

25. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

I agree totally. The first Elastica album is the premier 'Britpop' album to my ears. 'The Menace" is a darker but really good album.
    Justine is an artist, does well at it, and lives in California - EDIT -Colorado according to post above. Donna is a Christian pastor. Very unlikely they will ever reform.

majoyenrac likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.