Ortofon 2m Red vs Blue?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Jonno, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rob9874

Rob9874 Forum Resident

It's all recordings, and doubt it's the amp, since it sounds fine on CD (same albums). I'm thinking maybe preamp, maybe needle not centered.

2. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Im running a 2mm spacer on a RP6, my research concluded it was most definately needed. Running a 2m Bronze.

3. Prof Yuri

Prof Yuri Member

I have now lived with both for 25 albums each and much prefer the Red.
    It's more balanced in terms of the various frequencies and makes far less of a meal of surface noise.
    I know some may challenge this, but on my rega RP6 the red is decidedly better.

4. Prof Yuri

Prof Yuri Member

You will because the blue is brighter.
    I find the red much more even in it's tonal balance and much more forgiving of surface noise.

Dr. J. likes this.
  5. Prof Yuri

Prof Yuri Member

You may have the cartridge body too far forward.
    Check it with the 'rega' guide, other more complicated stylus protractors just confuse the issue in my opinion.

6. Bob M.

Bob M. Forum Resident

Did the same on my debut carbon just last week ...You are correct.... HUGE improvement!

Dennis0675 likes this.
  7. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

i was thinking of ditching the carbon until that swap...it finally sounds as good as the reviews talked about once i added the speedbox, acrylic platter, and blue stylus...

Faceman, Bob M. and Daniel Thomas like this.
  8. Daniel Thomas

Daniel Thomas Forum Resident

The Pro-Ject Debut does sound good once it's fully upgraded with the Speed Box and acrylic platter.

Faceman and Bob M. like this.
  9. Bob M.

Bob M. Forum Resident

Agree..I have the exact same setup!

10. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

All in that should come to about $1,000?

I know that isn't what i was expecting when i bought the table. Is does sound very good.

mike catucci likes this.
  11. Bob M.

Bob M. Forum Resident

Yup...I'm just at the point where the next upgrade should probably be a new TT. But for now this $1,000 "budget" TT sounds really nice! :)

mike catucci likes this.
  12. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

ha, again, we are in the same boat...

[​IMG]

c-eling, Bob M., Dennis0675 and 2 others like this.
  13. HiFi Guy 008

HiFi Guy 008 Forum Resident

Cool pic. What's your table sitting on?

14. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

thanks...Bluestone...

15. mike catucci

mike catucci Forum Resident

What did you swap out the stock feet with and was it a noticeable improvement?

16. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Great work. Isolation was the problem that i never solved. A heavy foot would often cause a skip.

Did you notice the table would tolorate higher volumes before it would lose clarity?

17. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

stock feet, just added the vibrapods...all the improvements came over time...biggest being the stylus swap, speed box, acrylic platter ...then started to tweak with better isolation...the Bluestone was pretty cheap, 40 bucks...quite happy now but it took a while...

the thing i noticed most was a better midrange, less crowded...

i think isolation is something a lot of people don't think enough about...i'm lucky i have enough room to spread things out ...

about to do a big speaker upgrade...As good as my Infinity IIIa's are I'm in the process of resto/modding a set of Infinity Quantum 2's...

then just records...done with messing with equipment (as much as i enjoy it) gonna roll with this set up for some time...

Last edited: May 4, 2015
    c-eling and mike catucci like this.
  18. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

So...Like you I got my project set up with all the mods I liked it and then went for a big speaker upgrade. After the speakers got plugged in, I didn't like the table as much. I ended up upgrading to a VPI classic with a 2m black.

to get this back on topic with the thread, the upgrade to the Blue was a critical step in the upgrade progression. the improvement that you can hear from upgrading the platter, speed box and clamp is much more discernible with the Blue vs. the Red.

19. Happy owner of a brand new Red, got it on friday.

I wanted to buy the improved model of Grado Blue but the guy at the HiFi store told me that it is not a good pair with MKII tonearm due to the fact that the latter is heavy for this cart.

Im so glad i did not insist on getting the Grado.

How many hours does it take for the cart to 'mellow' or 'break in'?Will there be a noticeable improvement?

20. c-eling

c-eling Dinner's In The Microwave Sweety

Ha, just noticed those vibrapods, been using them also now for a couple years, damn things actually work :wtf:

21. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

they do but after a while they will leave a ring inprint...sticky residue...

still using them anyway

22. Perfect sound forever

Perfect sound forever Well-Known Member

I have owned both . Both great but Blue is smoother in sound.

23. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

ha, my system have completely changed since this thread..

minimal minimal likes this.
  24. You may try to replace the standard woolen matt with a high mass one, rubber or cork-rubber mix.

25. Mike .S.

Mike .S. Well-Known Member

I had been set on going Bronze from my Red. I have zero budget and am now thinking blue. Are there any needle drops of red vs blue on a Debut Carbon?

Some say the diff is huge and some very subtle. I listen to classic punk and post punk so I like a high energy sound that's engaging. Maybe a wider stage than the red.

My debut carbon is fed into a Sansui 2000a driving Focal 807v's if that helps

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.