The Last Man On Earth (TV series)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by amoergosum, Mar 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drmaynard

drmaynard Well-Known Member

Before the show premiered they said that other people would be shown "in flashbacks". Interesting.

2. amoergosum

amoergosum Forum Resident Thread Starter

Grant and Mister Charlie like this.
  3. amoergosum

Mister Charlie likes this.
  4. amoergosum

5. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

I really enjoyed tonight's episode. They finally broke off the same story arc they had been on. A lot to talk about. :)

Does anyone know if the show has been given the go ahead for next year?

DLant likes this.
  6. amoergosum

Yes, it has been renewed for a second season.
    I also really enjoyed the finale...great last scene there...:)

P.S.: How cool is it that
    the astronaut in space is actually Phil's brother! I read on REDDIT that "In the first episode, Jason Sudeikis was depicted as Tandy's brother." Awesome.

Here's a screenshot (crop):

[​IMG]

Here are two screenshots from the finale:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DLant, kevywevy and Mister Charlie like this.
  7. amoergosum

8. amoergosum

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  9. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I think they heard the constructive criticism from the fans and took it to heart, because it seems like they're ready to hit the reset button and take it back to being just Phil and Carol.

Of course I could be wrong and they could introduce a whole new slew of guest stars again next season!

10. rburly

I wonder if that will be the case. I could go for a do over.

How will they resolve Phil's brother in the space station, alone? I'd like to see Jason Sudeikis added to the next season.

DLant likes this.
  11. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

No idea how they'll resolve it, but I'm pretty sure Sudeikis will probably be a recurring character next season. Why else have that big reveal at the end? Maybe Phil and Carol will go to mission control in Houston and get in touch with him.

DLant and rburly like this.
  12. amoergosum

>>>

"
    Where the show goes is still a bit TBD, as the writers are just beginning to sketch out what season 2 will be.

“What we’re talking about is a very small time jump,” Miller teased. “We’re going to see Phil and Carol, and where they are. And it’s not the last [we’ve seen] of those other characters, either…nothing is set in stone yet. We’ve had conversations with Will, we’re going to have a story summit in a week or so, and hopefully we’ll settle on some of the big building blocks of what next season is about. I’m really excited about some of the stuff we’ve been talking about already.”

“We’re still trying to figure out exactly where everybody winds up,” Forte added. “Phil and Carol are driving away from Tuscon last we see them. Jason Sudeikis is up in space. Who knows what’s going to happen to him?”

And though the fun tag of Sudeikis as Phil’s brother, who was revealed to be alive — and the last man in space — could have been a one-off appearance, the producers revealed they hope to play more with that storyline.

“Will had an idea with what he wanted to do with that,” Miller previewed. “There’s a development with that in the second season that we’re hoping to do. We did set that up in the pilot: in the pilot, he hangs up a picture of his family in his new house, and you see Will and his real parents, and his brother. It’s something we planned to do all along from the very beginning. It was exciting to do, and that we were able to accomplish it!”

But realistically, Sudeikis’ busy schedule might get in the way of him appearing on the series too much.

“Well, if I had my way, Jason Sudeikis would be a permanent member of the cast because he’s super funny and freaking awesome, and I love him as a person,” Forte gushed. “But that’s not a realistic scenario. I would never ask that of him, because he’s got so much exciting stuff going on in his life. That’s something we’ll figure out as buddies. I honestly don’t know [what’ll happen with that]. He’s been so cool already to do that part. But I definitely have a plan that we can implement.”
    "

Source:
    http://www.givememyremote.com/remot...d-kristen-schaal-on-the-season-finale-twists/

---

"
    Where on Earth are Phil and Carol headed? And what does this mean for all of those other characters that joined the show later in the season?
    Forte cautions that the plotting of season 2 is in the embryonic stages, though he notes, “I have one idea that would be a really fun first episode. It is fair to say that you haven’t seen the last of the old new gang, despite Phil’s banishment. “Obviously we’re not going to not show Mary Steenburgen or Cleopatra [Coleman] or Mel [Rodriguez] or January [Jones] or Boris,” he says. “They’re so important to the show. There’s a lot of room for play and it opens us up to having some time where the characters are once again in a very desolate situation. We really want to open up the world and look at the starting up of a society again with just a small group of people and basic rules…. Phil is not allowed on the cul-de-sac right now. It is entirely possible that Phil and Carol could be living somewhere else for the whole season, and we’re checking in on the different people. But I would think that they would somehow rendez-vous at some point earlier in the season.”
    "

Source:
    http://www.ew.com/article/2015/05/03/last-man-on-earth-cliffhanger-finale

rburly likes this.
  13. Bryan

Bryan Starman Jr.

I was hoping we'd seen the last of the cul-de-sac characters. I don't see how showing what's up with them will work. Where will the comedy come from without Phil or Carol there? They're all "straight men."

DLant likes this.
  14. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Damn I missed last Sunday's episode.

15. rburly

I agree. I enjoyed the new person/people arriving and Phil thinking he's going to get some. But Phil and Carol could drive away and I'd be fine with that. They could drive to San Diego, or just stay somewhere else in Arizona (because they seem to like the desert shots as background). The characters needed the growth in the last episode and I'd like to see them continue on with different story arcs.

DLant likes this.
  16. Tom in Houston

Tom in Houston Forum Resident

Maybe Phil's astronaut brother will need to jettison a portion of the space station. It will descend quickly and slam into the Earth, taking out an entire cul-de-sac in Tucson in the process.

"What are the odds?" becomes the show's unofficial catch phrase.

DLant likes this.
  17. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

Man, I've been avoiding this thread like the plague until we watched the finale tonight on Hulu.

How exciting to have Phil and Carol going out of Tucson! I was kind of hoping that they'd go out and find a more suitable place to live... Maybe a place with more fresh water, vegetation and less oppressive heat. I missed the picture part in the pilot ep with Phil's family in it and was extremely excited about the addition of Jason Sudeikis. He has a lot he can bring to the show, either as just a human floating in space or if he can find a way back to Earth.

I wonder if Phil had figured his brother was dead? He didn't ever seem inclined to go see if he were alive in the ISS. I'm sure he knew he was up there.

Season 2 cannot come quick enough.

Mister Charlie and rburly like this.
  18. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

Next they will travel to Atlanta, where they will discover that the region is overrun by a zombie holocaust.

Overall I enjoyed the show. I'm sad to see some of the characters left behind, but hopefully they will find some interesting ones next season.

DLant likes this.
  19. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

I was thinking I'd love to see them run into a character played by Rainn Wilson. He's just the right amount of quirky to play with/against Forte's Phil.

jonathan_s likes this.
  20. drmaynard

drmaynard Well-Known Member

"That's not a back-up, bro!!!"

Dan C likes this.
  21. amoergosum

Bloopers:

Dan C and Mister Charlie like this.
  22. amoergosum

23. amoergosum