Dave's Picks Volume 14 and bonus disc

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jhw59, Jan 20, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. docwebb

docwebb Forum Resident

Listening to Jack Straw now with a martini in hand. At the top of their game. This was money well spent.

DrLunchbox and Erik B. like this.
  2. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

And I'm listening to Sun Ra Visits Planet Earth with a heavy-bottomed glass of Jameson because my CD is crawling up the East coast. But no doubt it was money well spent and next week it will be brand new.

bliss44 and Erik B. like this.
  3. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

The playing is slightly tentative and loose on the first couple of numbers, but man, does it get good from there. Even considering the 22 superb gigs from Europe, this may end up being a top 10 (or 15) show from Spring '72.

Last edited: May 2, 2015
    wavethatflag likes this.
  4. roberts67

roberts67 Forum Resident

'72 is easily my favorite GD era. I think because of the combination of Billy's amazing drumming and the sound from Jerry playing the Strat and Fender Twin Reverb. Donna is playing the daylights out of the tambourine on Sugar Magnolia on this release. All part of the fun. Great release.

rufus t firefly likes this.
  5. JRM

JRM Forum Resident

I am happy they included that Cumberland on the bonus disc...it cooks :cool:

6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Or Pigpen? There is tambourine and shaker on some E72 songs but I don't remember any in 72 after he stopped touring with the band.

7. roberts67

roberts67 Forum Resident

Interesting. Could be Pigpen. I was thinking I saw Donna playing tambourine on the German TV show in '72 they played at the night at the movies last year.

8. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Pigpen.

At one of the Paris shows Donna recounts being high on LSD and laying under the piano listening to the band. Then it struck her- she had to get up and sing!

9. carledwards

carledwards Forum Resident

Good release. Solid.

10. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I am enjoying set number 5990 here in New Mexico. Really nice sounding set. I am enjoying the dark mood of this set.

11. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Beat show complete on you tube

notesofachord likes this.
  12. JayB

JayB Senior Member

People on this forum who appreciate music but aren't familiar with the GD should watch that video.

4/21/72 is not even in the mid level of Europe 72 shows (I mean it was in a TV studio for pete's sake!) but the musicianship and improv going on there is what the GD did so well that most bands couldn't. I'd love to see half the bands people gush over at this forum do anything near what the band is doing in that video unscripted and in a live setting.

To quote the late Bill Graham; "The Grateful Dead aren't the best at what they do; they are the only ones that do what they do"

13. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

#15,632 reporting in. Just arrived

14. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Amazing how frail Pigpen looks in that Beat Club video. Even so, he still brought it to the Europe 72 shows though..what a amazing swan song for him and the rest of the band.

15. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Agreed to some degree, but I love that performance. It's a case of, well, of the 22 shows they did, 19 are in the top 5. But clearly, true rock improvisation is exceedingly rare. The Allmans did it, but it was very controlled (it was along the lines of "play the notes you like, but this section lasts this long and that section still lasts that long" - not to take away anything from what they did, but it makes the jamming "artificially tight," if you will). But it also helps to ensure clean transitions. King Crimson and Deep Purple Mark II did rock improv very effectively with fewer constraints. I can't think of too many other bands that truly threw caution to the wind and played improv the way these bands did. But I'm sure there are some. Well, other than Grateful Dead, who threw everything at the fan and walked over to said fan and asked to get splattered with the poo. That's balls; well, up until '74 balls. :D

16. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

Billy alone with the dead was totally special. It's impossible for me to pull 1972 out of 1971 and 1973 to isolate it as "the best". For me personally; having been to so many shows during those three years, was like one long beautiful gorgeous amazingly blissful journey. Suppose if I was forced to isolate 3 years out of my 25 years of seeing them, those would be the three. If forced to isolate just one year, it would like choosing between my two kids; impossible.

Too bad my new Dave's didn't come on the weekend. May have to wait for the one coming before I can christen it in proper style ;p

Cheers -Zafu

roberts67 and budwhite like this.
  17. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

The China Cat/Rider on the Bonus disc is truly incredible. Really high energy, over the top. I'm someone who tends to feel that after 1970 there was a drop in the quality of their playing (not bad, just not as good as before) but that ChinaCat/Rider easily challenges any other for top spot.

The big jam on Disc 2 of the main release is also amazing. This is a fine, fine release.

18. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Got mine yesterday but no time to listen as I was off to the movie night. Tonight after work will bring a first listen.

19. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Got mine (#624) yesterday. Everything sounds great so far.

20. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

While I wait for my copy to arrive (It's a long way to Tippera..., I mean, Argentina), I downloaded the material from somewhere I won't say (don't judge me, I buy every Dead release that draws my attention, and even some I'm not even interested in!) and listened to it (not in detail, not until the postman knocks on my door and I have the digipak in my hands). It really sounds like a lost 1972 European show! Absolutely great. But, then again, it's just an impression from "light" listening .
    Meanwhile, listening to Garcia Live Volume Four once again. Sweet.

Erik B. likes this.
  21. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

a scan of my 1st row ticket stub is supposed to be included along with a photo my friend took on 3/23. are they in the booklet?

Crispy Rob likes this.
  22. Tom Adams

Tom Adams Well-Known Member

I didn't realize the copy I got from GD online wouldn't have the bonus disc included. I think it's only for subscriptions. I should have just got it on Ebay! Oh well

23. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

You're right - bonus disc only goes to subscribers. One of the best reasons to subscribe. Plus, over the year it's cheaper than ordering a la carte.

24. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

Yes they are, although the way the booklet got printed the stub is barely visible, but they do have you credited on that page for providing the image.

davmar77 likes this.
  25. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

thanks. I'm supposed to get promo copies for my friend who took the photo and I for supplying that stuff but it hasn't arrived yet.

DrLunchbox likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.