Best New Album of 2015, so far...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FrixFrixFrix, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank

Frank Senior Member

Easy now. You don't want to run the risk of being be derided as manic for liking too much too early in the year.

2. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

Dwight yoakam second hand heart

3. Machiventa

Machiventa Forum Resident

lol Frank!

Yeah I had some guy saying basically the same thing in last years thread about not believing anyone on this planet could possibly listen to more than 10-20 albums a year and god forbid even like them a lot.

JoeRockhead and Frank like this.
  4. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

On a good day, I listen to 10 in one day. Usually 7-8 though.

Machiventa likes this.
  5. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

I can't speak for everyone of course - but if I buy a new album this year there's already a good chance that it's already on its way to a Best Of list. If I didn't like it or if I was more middle-of-the-road about it, I'd probably just end up streaming it.

There are exceptions of course. Impulse buys where the album may fall out of favor later, but that's usually the exception and not the rule. I have a limited amount of money to spend, so I usually sample first and buy later if it sounds like a winner.

Rocketdog and JL6161 like this.
  6. JL6161

JL6161 Forum Resident

No, I was actually just ribbing the widespread forum (including me, sometimes) tendency to respond to "Name the Top Ten _____s" or "What Are Your Five Favorite ____s?" with a list of 150 things.

How many items of a given group can be "best" or "top" or "superlative" is purely in the eye of the beholder, so if you have a Top Fifty of Jan--Apr 2015, great, and there are obviously years with many more good records than others. I really don't care how many albums people post in this thread; I've gotten some excellent tips from it.

Stone Turntable likes this.
  7. veloso2

veloso2 Forum Resident

the grip weeds how i won the war

grbl likes this.
  8. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i have only heard a handful of new albums but my vote goes to the revolution saints album

9. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

It's pretty darn great in regular old res as well:cheers:

r7splash likes this.
  10. Atmospheric

Atmospheric Forum Resident

I downloaded it to evaluate it before buying. Admittedly, I questioned how interested I would be in a bunch of covers from guys I find occasionally brilliant but often tedious and bombastic. I never got to listen it. I ran it through the DR tool and stream of DR4s and DR5s went by. I absolutely refuse to listen to anything that squashed. Yeah, I know that's a really shallow attitude, but it's my attitude.

sonci likes this.
  11. edbert

edbert Forum Resident

KaptKopter, veloso2 and Blender like this.
  12. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

This one gets my vote too.

13. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

[​IMG]
    Metz II for all of your angular, churning, metallic, angsty rock and roll needs. Liking this one quite a bit.

14. mantis4tons

mantis4tons Forum Resident

Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp a Butterfly is still my pick for album of the year, but there's a new contender:

Kamasi Washington The Epic, a sprawling, appropriately titled album - it's almost three hours long! I think this release is Washington's emergence as a significant, important, and interesting new voice in jazz.

bt1098 likes this.
  15. murphywmm

murphywmm Senior Member

We'll see what happens by the end of the year - remember, last year D'Angelo shook everything up by releasing one of the year's best albums right near the end, even after many magazines had already published their "best of 2014" lists.

mantis4tons likes this.
  16. SteveCooks

SteveCooks Senior Member

[​IMG]
    The last Brian Wilson and Emile Haynie first LP (Lana Del Rey's fans and 60's baroque pop, try it)
    [​IMG]
    Couldn't get into the Father John Misty and the Belle and Sebastian yet...

17. sonci

sonci Forum Resident

Belle and Sebastian are just some good, easy, short songs, great for car listening, but I couldn't stand them home, the same for Noel Gallagher,
    the last Built to Spill is good, a bit disappointment from Death Cabs, Wilson and Tobias Jesso were great after the first listen, but now I don't care that much..
    Can't get to John Misty and Blur but I'm trying, Sleater-Kinney is probably the worst 2015 album I've heard,
    Not a great year for me, and this sound quality doesn't help, everybody is loud, those who aren't like SW, should be listen with a remote in hand because of the jumping sound of synthesizers,
    I'm still discovering new music though like Slowly Rolling Camera /ST..

Machiventa likes this.
  18. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

Jumping sound of synthesizers on Steven Wilson's Hand.Cannot.Erase? I don't get you - please elaborate! To me this is a fantastic sounding record from start to finish, not to mention that I think it is also the best album released this millennium...

19. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

I'm really digging 'The Cribs' latest "For All My Sisters"

[​IMG]
    Rivers Cuomo wishes he could still write hooks as good as any track on this album :righton:

Frank likes this.
  20. soundfanz

soundfanz Forum Resident

A few I'm getting into so far this year:

Courtney Barnett: Sometimes I Sit And Think, And Sometimes I Just Sit

Cassandra Wilson: Coming Forth By Day

Calexico: Edge Of The Sun

21. Chris S.

Chris S. Forum Resident

James McMurtry - Complicated Game

John moreland - High on Tulsa Heat

22. Rufus McDufus

Rufus McDufus Forum Resident

A month or so ago I'd have said Steven Wilson's 'Hand. Cannot. Erase.', but then I heard Sufjan Stevens' 'Carrie & Lowell' and this album is hot-wired into my cortex. The most wonderful album I've heard for many years and not dissimilar to 'Pink Moon' in feeling, which is one of my top 5 albums.

The other album I was looking forward to was Laura Marling's latest but I have to admit I'm a little underwhelmed with it.

papatwo likes this.
  23. I liked the new releases by Steven Wilson, Bob Dylan, The Decemberists, Rhiannon Giddens, Van Morrison and Allison Moorer. I can't really decide yet which one I like best.

24. sonci

sonci Forum Resident

I can't elaborate, I'm not an audio engineer, Just listen to Mark Knopfler- Tracker

25. StephenDedalus

StephenDedalus Forum Resident

The Epic by Kamasi Washington. It is incredible, really really good.

[​IMG]

Only had one listen to this, but I can already tell it's one of my favourites. The Waterfall by My Morning Jacket.

[​IMG]

bt1098, Sander and mantis4tons like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.