Need advise for weight to fit RB303 - must fit and no underslung

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Paul K, May 4, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member Thread Starter

My Audio Technica AT33PTG/ll might like the weight to go a bit closer to the pivot.
    I also would like to raise the VTA with the spacer I have. Or at least I would like the option to be able to without hitting the dustcover which both me and my wife like ON the TT so that's the parameter.

What is out there?
    I am confused. The 303 has a larger end stub than the 300 so it needs to fit that specifically.
    I am reading papers suggesting that underslung weights are in fact not beneficial to gimbaled designs and just wish that REGA had made something optional.

2. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

Pete Rigel counterweight is inexpensive and a good design. Has it's own endstub which is better. How that works with the dust cover, IDK.

3. Paul K

Thanks! However that is the main issue and am not certain from the website what the dimensions or the actual mass of the thing is.

4. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

I'd ask him for specifics, and be sure the stub fits. The total diameter is 40mm and the weight without stub is 119 g.

5. Erocka2000

Erocka2000 Forum Resident

Get the Rega Heavy (not the standard) Tungsten Counterweight and don't look back.

Bob_in_OKC likes this.
  6. Paul K

A link please!

7. jupiterboy

jupiterboy Forum Residue

8. Erocka2000

9. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Why no under slung weight?

10. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

How high of a spacer are you using?

The Rega Tungsten weight should most likely work. It's smaller in diameter then the stock Rega weight.

11. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

But not the "Heavy" tungsten counterweight. The Rega "Heavy Weight" is tungsten, not stainless and it is just about the same diameter as the Stainless weight. It is a bit confusing as they should probably just use model numbers to distinguish them, but they all have different properties, yet all have a similar mounting and aesthetic. The only oddball is the mild steel weight with its plastic insert and corkscrew type adjustment stub. Even that has a similar diameter as the larger units and is concentric like the rest. The only weight that is physically smaller in diameter is the standard tungsten weight (which is no longer standard on any current Rega arm). You have to buy a Rega RP10 or an RB2000 to get the Rega Heavy Weight as standard, otherwise it's a special order accessory. The Heavy Weight that is made of tungsten, weighs about 150g, and looks very much like the stainless weight at the bottom of this illustration.
    -Bill
    [​IMG]

Bob_in_OKC likes this.
  12. Paul K

You stated this in another thread that the tungsten would fit the larger 303 stub.
    I am thoroughly confused how it would.
    Please help with this one!
    Thank you again!

13. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

raferx likes this.
  14. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

Gary likes this.
  15. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Is it on your RP6 or RP8?

16. raferx

raferx Forum Resident

RP6. Only TT I have... for now.

Gary likes this.
  17. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

I believe the Rega Heavy Tungsten weighs 120g? Will it fit the RB303 end stub?

18. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Because they are all Rega designed and are interchangeable. The Rega stainless and tungsten counterweights fit by compression of a pair of spaced, silicone o-rings. The rings keep the weights just tight enough on the shaft to prevent any vibration or movement and also serve to keep the weight concentric to the shaft with its radial center lines perpendicular to the shaft. The compression of the o-rings will allow the entire weight range to be used on any Rega stainless stubshaft as the difference in diameter of an RB300 and an RB303 is so slight as to be interchangable for that purpose. The o-rings will also not scar the stubshaft and cause relocation or adjustment issues later as can some types that use a set screw. Being concentric designs, they allow the arm to move as freely in any plane and so offer better tracking than weights which are underslung and cause more force to be applied in the vertical plane and which also slightly restrict movement horizontally.
    -Bill

jupiterboy and Paul K like this.
  19. Paul K

Thank you Bill for that!!!!

20. GoldprintAudio

GoldprintAudio Forum Resident

Correct, which is why I stated Tungsten Weight.....and not Heavy Tungsten weight.

It's really not too confusing though...... for optional Rega weights you have the tungsten weight or the heavy Tungsten weight.

21. missan

missan Forum Resident

The differences between a concentric design and an underslung design are that the needle will see slightly more variations in VTF, and depending on an increased MOI for twisting it will consequently react against accelerations visavi twisting, for an underslung. Lateral accelerations will not be effected if the same MOI at pivot, which they usually have.

22. KT88

KT88 Senior Member

Yes, and consider then that all lateral movements along a 45 degree groove wall will necessitate vertical movement.
    -Bill

23. missan

missan Forum Resident

We are of course talking about the arm´s movements, not the needle´s . How the needle moves in the grooves has nothing to do with a counterweight per se.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  24. dianos

dianos Forum Resident

Will the heavy tungsten weight be better than the normal tungsten weight for a "standard" cart say Ortofon 2M or Rega carts or is it just needed for heavier carts in order to have a chance to balance the arm?

25. Erocka2000

Theoretically, it should be better for all, as you'll be able to position the weight closer to the pivot point.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.