The Cream Album by Album Thread (Part 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Apr 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Great clip but I found myself growing more and more concerned about his cigarette burning to ash as the clip went on! :laugh:

Rose River Bear likes this.
  2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Posted

[​IMG]

3. I played an EB3 for 20 years, and had no difficulty getting deep, bone-rattling bass when I wanted it. It had the two pickups, plus the four-position Varitone switch, I could get any tone I wanted, really. I also never had a problem with the headstock, it wasn't neck-heavy at all.

eeglug and Rose River Bear like this.
  4. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

If anyone wants to mention the compilations after Live Cream II feel free to. I think I will jump over a couple compilations and go to Those Were The Days next.

We will go thru all of the Cream releases and then go on to the solo stuff and Clapton band releases like Blind Faith and Derek.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  5. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Is there any special/unique version or edit of any song on any CREAM compilation (other than the Those Were The Days set)? That would be good to point out, if there is any unusual version of a song that is hard to find otherwise.

6. Rose River Bear

I don't think so but I will double check. Good point.

7. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

I can't think of any offhand.

And we've discussed "Anyone For Tennis", "The Coffee Song", and "Lawdy Mama", right?

8. Rose River Bear

Yes we have discussed The Coffee Song, Tennis and both versions of Lawdy Mama.

Arnold Grove likes this.
  9. goodboyfred

goodboyfred Forum Resident

I've always loved that guitar demonstration that Clapton gives back in his Cream days. Watching that one would be hard pressed to envision the elder statesman with Change The World and Tears In Heaven on his resume. That's why its impossible to predict the course of the careers of those that left us early even though it is fun to do. I'm a little surprised that his recent shows only featured Crossroads and no other Cream songs. A little Jack tribute would've been nice though that could be something down the line. My first Cream exposure was the Eggplant album. As a kid I thought guitar playing by The Beatles was the end all until I heard that album. White Room, Crossroads, Swlabr etc. opened my ears to music that I became a huge fan of and followed passionately to this day.

Dave Hoos likes this.
  10. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

I have a couple of Cream compilations in addition to Those Were the Days. Currently I have -

Gold - a nice two disc set. The first disc is studio material and the second is live material. The mastering on this is good - not overly compressed or goosed as far as highs and lows.

The Very Best of - a single disc compilation of mainly studio material. Agian, the mastering on this one is decent.

Stange Brew: The Very Best of Cream - another single disc compilation but much shorter than the above. This one only has a dozen tracks.

Heavy Cream - Many years ago, I had this double album compilation. I don't believe it was ever officially released on CD.

John Fell likes this.
  11. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

I'll put a plug in for the first CD boxset I ever purchased- EC Crossroads. A must have IMO. I think that was one of Bill Levenson's first sets. The hand drawn sketch of EC was done by Ron Wood - on the spot while Bill watched him draw it.

jhm and ledsox like this.
  12. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

The Heavy Cream Lp- iirc that type of cover is known as a uni-Pak. I recall both Clapton and Bruce had a compilation in the same series. However, I do not recall if Ginger also had one

rockclassics likes this.
  13. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

This is fantastic box set and really shows the evolution of Clapton vs just a big set of popular songs. I pretty much accelerated my very basic guitar playing at the time by learning how to play most of the songs on the first disc. I treated the package as almost a rock guitar instructional set.

reb likes this.
  14. rockclassics

You are right about the cover. Both albums were housed in a single sleeve. There was no gatefold opening and there was a flap that folded over at the top.

Clapton did have one titled "At His Best" (I believe). It mainly had solo tracks along with a couple from Blind Faith and Derek and the Dominos. I don't remember the ones for Jack Bruce and Ginger Baker, but I suspect they both had them.

reb likes this.
  15. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

17. rockclassics

I'll be damned....I knew someone here probably had them if they existed.

18. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Sorry for going on a "collectorland" tangent here, but does anyone know the story of the "arsing about" tunes that circulate as Wheels Of Fire outtakes?
    La La Song, Singalong, Tuba Tune, Spike's Theme, Blue Monn, Polonaise Jam and Barrelhouse Blues.
    To be generous, it sounds like the band attempts to master unfamiliar instruments, like tuba, while under heavy influence of something.

19. czeskleba

czeskleba Senior Member

It was basically a jam/rehearsal at Jack Bruce's house. Here's Felix Pappalardi's comments on it:
    "Cream told me that the only time they ever get together for rehearsal is when I'm around which is another strange thing. Anyway, while I was in England we met at Jack's house every night at seven o'clock. One night I was playing bass, Jack played a baritone horn, Ginger was playing these giant maracas and Eric was playing acoustic guitar. Eric was showing us a new tune he’d just written called Anyone For Tennis. What happened that night went into the ‘Tennis” single and the “Savage Seven” album. It was a new thing for Cream and it just happened."

Rose River Bear, John Fell and dino77 like this.
  20. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Thanks, you learn something every day!

21. rgutter

rgutter Forum Resident

Not that I can think of. But there are some unique (not just edits) 45s - sorry if we've already covered them. IIRC, both the Reaction & Atco single mono mix of Tales of Brave Ulysses differs from the mono LP, and the Atco Pressed Rat and Warthog may have been a unique mix and certainly was was CSG processed (not sure about the Polydor).

22. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Super Show 1969

Buddy Guy / Jack Bruce / Buddy Miles

goodboyfred, John Fell and dino77 like this.
  23. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Eric Clapton + Jack Bruce

Supershow 1969

goodboyfred, ledsox and John Fell like this.
  24. cc--

cc-- Forum Resident

I saw a copy of this in a shop the other day -- can anyone comment on SQ, rarity of any tracks, sequence, etc.? I'm not sure I need it, since I have Songs for a Tailor in addition to the Cream discography, but it might be nice :cool:.

25. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Here is the track listing.

Never Tell Your Mother She's Out Of Tune 3:37
    Morning Story 4:46
    Theme For An Imaginary Western 3:25
    Post War 4:15
    Tickets To Waterfalls 2:57
    Folk Song 4:06
    You Burned The Tables On Me 3:41
    He The Richmond 5:39
    Victoria Sage 4:57