Spooky Tooth box.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Alan2, Jan 30, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. granola

granola Forum Resident

Spooky Tooth - The Island Years 1967 - 1974

Definitive - and then some! (4/27)
    By James B. Spink
    (Verified Purchase)

"If you are familiar with Mark Powell and re-masterer Paschal Byrne's work you should know what to expect – and will not be disappointed."

Spooky Tooth - The Island Years 1967 - 1974

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Island-Years-1967-1974/dp/B00T5GY470#customerReviews

BIG ED likes this.
  2. back2vinyl

back2vinyl Forum Resident

Ahhhh - many thanks - Paschal Byrne, eh? Well, that's positive news, I hope. I'd expect some modest peak limiting, certainly nothing like the Repertoires, and maybe a little goosing of the top and/or bottom where appropriate but nothing too OTT. We'll know soon enough.

3. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

It's too bad the same care wasn't put into the Hawkwind box.

4. Classicolin

Classicolin ‘60s/‘70s Rock Fanatic/Crown Kingdom Guitarist

Very happy to hear the mastering sounds promising!...I couldn't be more excited for this set, as I love Spooky Tooth, but have so far avoided their earlier CD releases due to the excessive limiting and EQ I heard was used on them (as well as their relative unavailability).

5. granola

granola Forum Resident

6. Led9

Led9 Forum Resident

Anyone know if the Art bonus tracks are true stereo?

7. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

As an aside, I thought their 1999 reunion CD Cross Purpose was better than I expected it to be.

Geez, time flies. It's already been 16 years since the release of this reunion album. It doesn't really have the fire of Spooky Two, but it's still an enjoyable listen IMO.

The nice thing about it is Harrison, Grosvenor, Kellie and Ridley are all on it. (Greg passed on in 2003) The only guy missing from what I consider their prime era is Gary Wright.
    I haven't played it in awhile though. I'll have to give it a listen tonight.

8. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

Damn, I just played The Best Of Spooky Tooth: That Was Only Yesterday (A&M) for the first time in awhile. It's really got my Spooky Tooth appreciation on overdrive again.

I have to say that after Joe Cocker's "With a Little Help From My Friends" , Tooths "I Am the Walrus" might be my next favorite cover version from the late 60's.

Both versions do the next to impossible for me. They stand on their own almost as "new" songs yet they don't deviate all that much from the original melodies. To my ears many cover versions aren't needed because they aren't that different from the original or...they go way out and screw up the original song. Joe and Spooky Tooth managed to create stand alone cover versions that are as cool in their own way as the Beatles records, and that ain't easy in my book, Beatles geek that I am. :D

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
    Suncola and Classicolin like this.
  9. Dr. Mudd

Dr. Mudd Audient

This is up on Spotify.

10. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Last edited: Apr 29, 2015
  11. Boaz

Boaz Forum Resident

12. back2vinyl

Amazing - the entire box set is available for download in CD resolution at Qobuz, as a set, as individual albums or even as individual tracks. You can also listen to long samples from every single track so if you have an evening to spare...

Link to box set on Qobuz

I downloaded one sample track, Waitin' for the Wind, which is the first track on the Spooky Two LP. In terms of dynamic range it's extremely impressive - it's been done to audiophile standards with no compression and full dynamic range - maybe just a sample or two trimmed off the very tip of the highest peaks but this is the most dynamic version I've ever seen of this track, including the original LP. In fact it's so impressive I can't resist showing you a picture (sorry it's a bit big):

[​IMG]

It also has a very conservative EQ. Again, it's been done to audiophile standards - there's no smiley EQ here with tipped-up treble and bass. In fact, I even found myself wondering if it could be a flat transfer. If you're used to hearing the heavily compressed, smiley-EQd remasters of recent years you may find it a bit anaemic on a first listen but I think your ears will thank you in the end and it's extremely crankable.

Of course, this is only one track but if the rest of the set has been done to the same standard, I think we're looking at something quite special.

13. richierichie

richierichie My glass is always full.

My box arrived today from Amazon Italy ($73), I`ve played the first 3 CDs and they sound superb to these ears. The presentation is great also, nice 50 page booklet, all CDs in good quality gatefold sleeves and a nice glossy, rigid box to hold them all.

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  14. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Mine arrived today....beautiful :cheers:

eelkiller and noname74 like this.
  15. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

Got this on Friday from Amazon.uk and am wondering if anyone else has the same issue, or if it's even an issue at all: in the beautiful detailed booklet, all of the pages appear to be mis-printed with the text and even photos off-center, with the text noticeably lower on one side. Fortunately nothing is cut off, but I wondering if it was an intentional artsy decision or an actual mis-printing on my copy and possibly others. I took a photo but don't see how you include an attachment in messages the way others do...

16. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

I listened to it all day yesterday and I'm listening to it right now. I think it sounds great, and I'm happy to see "The Mirror" finally get a decent reissue. I have no idea why that album is so overlooked.

17. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Mine came from the UK on Friday - a crazy weekend so I didn't get any listening time in but the package itself is really nice.

18. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Awesome sounding CDs:edthumbs:

19. back2vinyl

To post a photo, you have to upload it first to a Dropbox or Google Drive or Photobucket or something like that. Then you have to obtain a link to the photo. Then, when you're posting your reply, you have to click on the little icon with mountains on it and insert the link in the pop-up box that appears. Needless, to say, it won't work and you'll spend the next three hours tearing your hair out trying to find out what went wrong. Try Googling "How to post a picture on a forum" or similar - it's quite tricky the first time but fairly easy once you know how.

20. kolive

kolive 6070rock enthusiast

Mine came from AmUK yesterday (with the long awaited Trilogy).
    Am eager to listen. But I love the shelf saving format!

21. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

Hmmmm, thank-you back2vinyl, but time is precious and I am tech-challenged, so I think I'll pass on the ordeal you describe of uploading any pics. If anyone got it and it looks like mine with all the pages printed off center, you'll know what I am talking about. Vicky at Esoteric — and set compiler Mark Powell's wife — said it is definitely a printing error.

22. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I only listened to ST Two yet... one of the best remasters I've heard in the last years!!!

Classicolin and Dino like this.
  23. You Better You Bet

You Better You Bet Forum Resident

Try the plain vanilla A&M CD 3124. It works for me. :tiphat:

24. I'm just hoping that eventually the vinyl will get separate releases which seems to be the norm now. I only want It's All About and Spooky II.

25. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

jay.dee likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.