Lost In Space, 1998 now viewing

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by GuildX700, Dec 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

A dysfunctional film about a typical 1990s dysfunctional family, which completely missed the heart of the older series. It was so terrible in 1998 that it still has its sour taste in my mouth. I recall young Penny whining: "This mission SUCKS!!", and I agreed with her.

Just give me the remastered Blu-rays for the '60s TV show....

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    Deesky likes this.
  2. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

If I'm gonna get stranded on a distant planet with Heather Graham, I pray that she is not a blood relative before I knock her up. Cha-Ching!

GuildX700 likes this.
  3. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I'm usually totally un-enthralled with remakes and reboots and generally don't bother with them. There are too many to list and very few that IMHO are of any value. So back in 1998, I'd read all kinds of horrors about the LOST IN SPACE flick and wanted nothing to do with it.

About two years ago - long after this film had faded away from any public consciousness - I picked it up cheap in a $5 bin somewhere. I figured it was worth that for some Blu-ray entertainment - even just to see the cameos from the old cast. There were parts of the movie I enjoyed and others that I hated. The CGI monkey is a good example of the bad, as is the casting of Matt LeBlanc as Don West. A no-name would have been better there.

The rest of the cast was pretty much OK. While I never had a "thing" for Angela Cartwright like so many other fans have claimed over the years, I did kind of find Lacey Chabert's portrayal of the character interesting. And here's one other point that I can't believe I'm making: As much as I cannot see the TV series ever succeeding without Dick Tufeld's voice for the Robot, in THIS film, it seemed wrong. I think I would have preferred a different voice in the role. The Tufeld voice didn't seem to fit the bigger/uglier Robot. It might have been better to use Tufeld as a narrator as he did on the series.

Harry

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  4. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

They ruined the robot

[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

an abomination!

Haristar and Vidiot like this.
  6. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

That new robot.. Bah. Spare me the poisonous barbs!!!

Vidiot likes this.
  7. DreadPikathulhu

DreadPikathulhu Senior Member

It's not even a bubble-headed booby!

8. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

Thought it was terrible when I saw it in the theater and never revisited it.

9. Michael

I enjoyed Gary Oldman's Dr. Smith performance...that's about it.

10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

You calamitus clod!

I think the movie remake of Lost in Space should go on a double-bill with the movie remake of Wild Wild West at the Hell Multiplex. Both good examples of how much you can ruin a good classic 1960s TV show by "reimagining" it to death, omitting all the little things that made it great, and also making arbitrary changes that make no sense. Both terrible movies that are bad for similar reasons. Thankfully, they bombed, so there ain't gonna be no more from those filmmakers.

11. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Just... you... WAIT..!

12. Texastoyz

Texastoyz Forum Resident

The only thing I remember about that movie is that I had a cousin that was a little kid at the time and the spaceships they released from the toyline were both compatible and most importantly, cheaper, than Star Wars spaceships. So those were the ones he had.

13. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Oh, the pain!

14. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

Please... my back is very delicate today...

15. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Funny... Not even a minute before I arrived at your thread, and reading the mostly negative comments about the movie, I was thinking that it is on par with The Wild Wild West.

Oldman played the Dr. Smith character very well. I did think that having our new Penny, played with an attitude, was excellent. The best part of the movie was the PennyCam.

Like WWW, they did have some good scenes, but the bad far outweighed the good. The longer the movie played, the worse it got, just like a real Irwin Allen production.

The ending was totally dreadful!

Oh the pain...

I was surprised that we didn't here Dr. Smith say "go away Major, you irk me"

GuildX700 and Vidiot like this.
  16. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

I still don't get why they didn't cast Billy Mummy as the grown up Will Robinson, he would have been so much better, and fans would have loved that part. It was just wrong not to.

Michael and GuildX700 like this.
  17. Michael

we watched this last night...enjoyed it more than the first time we watched it...it would have been great if they had the original cast members found by the new expedition via the time warp! They finally could have been rescued....

GuildX700 likes this.
  18. Michael

I agree it would have elevated the movie to a new level! and add an OLD Dr. Smith with Will as well...can you imagine?

GuildX700 likes this.
  19. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Hadn't even thought about that, but when Smith turned into the spider creature he was so different and bizzare looking that you could have easily used the older actor for those scenes acting with the Billy Mummy! Both actors were wanting to be in the film, but would not accept the cameos like tho other actors from the series received, so chose not to participate.

I guarantee you I would have seen it at least a time or two more in the theaters. As would millions of others. Really short sighted of the folks making the film, which would have been fine if they were making a masterpiece. They must have known they weren't, and if they weren't what would it have hurt.

Michael and GuildX700 like this.
  20. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident Thread Starter

All this talk makes me want to spin it again tonight. I think it's a good flick, obviously not great.

Sure, lots of expectations to meld into the original with a fresh take on it were a letdown, but overall I really dig this flick.

It's like the B flicks of the 1950's for the modern age.

Thankfully it was not bloated with tons of CGI, the monkey should have been totally left out for sure.

And yes, Billy Mummy meeting himself would've been great in the plot, as well as any other still alive cast members.

Could've, should've would've does not matter.

We have what we have here.

They certainly could have trimmed it down in time about 20 minutes and tossed in a more intelligent plot twist for the end regarding the original Robinsons, but overall I think it's a good fun cheap flick.

I'd like to say I'd like to see a new remake, but given the over bloated CGI use these days I'm not sure they would do any better, if not worse.

Oh the pain, the pain.

Michael likes this.
  21. jeatleboe

jeatleboe Forum Resident

The 1998 film bore no resemblance to LOST IN SPACE. That's one major detail I can't overlook.

Michael and Vidiot like this.
  22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I saw this in the theater and I remember thinking it was awful. This was the first movie where I literally fell asleep in the theater. Being an early 40's old fart, I've managed that feat several times since then, but in 1998 I was 24 and had never actually fallen asleep in a theater before. I've never seen the TV show, so I had no expectations of the movie other than a fun space action flick. It failed.

23. F_C_FRANKLIN

F_C_FRANKLIN Forum Resident

Billy Mumy decided he didn't want to be in the film.

24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

They wanted a reboot with a new cast and not a sequel.

25. Michael

of which was Bloop Debbie!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.