Live cuts on Greatest Hits albums.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lord Summerisle, May 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

Normally I don't like live tracks on Greatest Hits compilations. But there are some exceptions. When a Peter Frampton hits collection contains the live version of "Do You Feel Like We Do", it's OK for me. (On the other hand, one may buy "Frampton Comes Alive!" as a worthy best-of.)

There are some borderline cases - at least for me. Most Iron Maiden fans seem to prefer a live version of "Fear Of The Dark", and so all compilations known to me contain a live version. I honestly prefer the studio version, so I had do buy the album.

2. nicotinecaffeine

nicotinecaffeine Forum Resident

Seems to work only in rare instances. Only thing I can think of where it's beneficial is Riding The Storm Out on REO's 1988 Hits.

As for Frampton, FCA is basically a hits album all to itself.

Limopard likes this.
  3. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I hate live versions if it wasn't a hit. When I listen to a Greatest Hits album I want to hear the version that was the hit. I can't stand all the Neil Diamond comps that used so many live versions because his label at the time didn't have the rights. Not our problem! Don't release it if you can't use the right versions. Very few people are going to buy a hits album and be happy that the version they thought they were buying is some live version. I don't think that is all that much different than buying a comp album and finding out half the songs aren't even the right versions...they were redone! I hate the Simon and Garfunkel hits album due to so many live versions. Just put out a live album! I get it that there are rights issues, etc, but as I said before, then don't release it!

4. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

If the missing rights for the studio version are the only reason to release a live cut, the result is annoying in most cases.

Jrr, Grand_Ennui and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Helmut

Helmut Well-Known Member

I think you should all know by now, that record companies always try to keep options to release the same thing again in slightly different form at a later time.
    If they give us the perfect sampler or release, they can't re-release it again at a later point. Every box set, every anthology is always missing certain recordings, so that they can add it the next time and the fan buys again.

Jrr likes this.
  6. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

It was the hit version, putting the studio version on there would have been wrong and very strange (plus it is inferior, but that is my subjective view). A reason why it wrecks the flow though, on the current incarnation of Legend, is because it is the full lenght version instead of the single edit, so almost twice the lenght, which puts a halt to the proceedings. This is one thing I don't like that Barry Diament did when he remastered Legend, he changed all the single versions (some that also were unique mixes) into the album versions instead.

Frittenköter and duggan like this.
  7. Dhreview16

Dhreview16 Forum Resident

I agree with Cdman. If the live version was the hit e.g. Bob Marley's No Woman No Cry, fair enough. If its just 4 live tracks added, as in Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits, or you get an inferior live version of a studio hit, bad practice. I agree economics come into it, but surely it's not beyond record companies to add live cuts as a bonus (either on a separate disc or not), without compromising the studio hits themselves. That's what bands like Zep have done with the rereleases of their first six albums - extra disc of live concerts or alternative studio versions alongside the original disc.
    Bryan Adams I think did the same with Reckless.

8. duggan

duggan Senior Member

If any one track established Marley as a global star it was the live version of No Woman No Cry, without that track Legend would have been deficient.

dino77 likes this.
  9. duggan

duggan Senior Member

Arguably the best version of For Emily released to date.

notesofachord likes this.
  10. duggan

duggan Senior Member

A great summation of the salient points.

11. Changingman

Changingman Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    This (otherwise great) compilation is spoiled by the inclusion of a live version of Fallin' Like Dominoes. It totally breaks the mood of the record. Curiously enough, I got the studio version of this song on a cheap jazz compilation. Surely it couldn't have been a question of royalties?

Duophonic likes this.
  12. downer

downer Senior Member

'Wait For Me' on Hall & Oates 'Rock & Soul Pt.1'

13. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

But in it's single length edit of the live track.

14. jeffgt14

jeffgt14 Forum Resident

If you get a Cheap Trick comp, I don’t think you want the studio version of “I Want You to Want Me” showing up. I agree some live songs don’t make any since but sometimes the live versions are better. An Iron Maiden best of should have the Rock in Rio Fear of the Dark, any KISS comp should have RnRAN from Alive!, countless other examples already in this thread.

15. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

Yes. Also tons of VU comps that offer 1969 live versions of Sweet Jane and Rock And Roll instead of the Loaded studio takes.

ARK likes this.
  16. Duophonic

Duophonic Beatles

For me it's the opposite. I have a record that has the studio version and that wrecks the flow.

17. Sean

Sean Senior Member

I like the live version of "Midnight Rambler" on the Rolling Stones first Hot Rocks (1971) compilation.

18. Sean

Sean Senior Member

The 1994 Bob Seger Greatest Hits has the live version of "Turn The Page" from Live Bullet (1976) which most people are familiar with since the Back In 72 (1973) original is so hard to find. I only found Back In 72 recently.

ARK likes this.
  19. Captain Groovy

Captain Groovy Senior Member

+ 1,000

HUGE Pet Peeve. This goes back to before I knew about "rights" and how companies can use live takes where to fill in some "hits" they don't own the masters of...

The worst and most unforgivable is when it's not stated CLEARLY on the packaging.

Nobody will mistake the awesome comp for example as having the album or single mix of "Lola" - clearly stated it's live. If it were an unreleased live take they would have stated that... so I assume that take is from the hot pink and yellow Arista live one (and it is - I just meant I WOULD assume..)

https://audiofidelity.net/product/legends-get-it-various-artists

Jeff

20. Bewaremylove

Bewaremylove Forum Resident

It's a tough call. Although I'm not usually a fan of live songs thrown into a greatest hits compilation, sometimes it makes sense. Paul McCartney's "Wingspan" is a good example. Coming Up is presented in it's live version, which to me isn't a great choice, as I much prefer the LP cut. On the the other side of that same coin, I wouldn't have minded the live version of Maybe I'm Amazed from the WOA album included, as I like this one better. I remember getting one of the original Foreigner's Greatest Hits albums back in the day, and being very disappointed that Hot Blooded was the live version

heatherly likes this.
  21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

I remember finding it weird that the liner notes of Legend described the live version of "No Woman" but the record I heard had the studio version.

22. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

So what songs were hits (i.e., received extensive radio play) in both their live and studio versions? Some I think of:

Kinks - "Lola"
    Lynyrd Skynyrd - "Freebird"
    Paul McCartney - "Maybe I'm Amazed" and "Goodnight Tonight"

I would say those songs would be acceptable in either version in a definitive comp.

23. longaway

longaway Senior Member

I really hate the practice, unless the live version is the hit/best known version (I Want You to Want Me - Cheap Trick). I'd much prefer re-records of tracks not available due to label/licensing issues (Lady - Styx).

24. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

"Coming Up"

25. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

The Fixx - "Stand or Fall" was a live version (not very good-sounding either) on a collection. Think it was called One Thing Leads to Another. This problem was corrected for The Ultimate Collection.

Surly likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.