Zu Audio... very impressed with them and my Omen MKII. Yes, I said MKII !

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by dnuggett, May 2, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident Thread Starter

Interesting. I was told they were "new" and I thought since they weren't on the site yet, they weren't available.

2. martinb4

martinb4 Forum Resident

I ordered mine in Dec and my buddy has had them since Oct/Nov at the least. Still pretty dang new though, my SN is 0037.

3. ChuckNOS

ChuckNOS Forum Resident

Congrats on the new Zu! I've had my Omens for going on two years and I love them. I have 4 to take advantage of my quad Marantz 4400. They sound great at all volume levels, from quiet night-time to the loudest of the "holy **** she's not home tonight!" LOUD! The instruments are alway well defined and not overwhelmed with volume, although the soundstage does take a bath when these things are blasting at each other.

The Omens are perfect for the mostly classic rock and acoustic Americana/Canadiana music I listen too. Never fatiguing to listen too.

As for Customer service, i have nothing but nice things to say about Gerritt and Sean, both of whom have addressed my relatively minor concerns. Sean honored a sale price been though I missed the sales term by a week or so and then upgraded my cabinet on my 2nd pair to Walnut at no charge when I mentioned that the first pair I had was walnut.

Different strokes for different folks when it comes to speakers, but all in all a very good product, at a decent price and consistent exceptional customer service over time should prompt anyone to at least consider doing business with Zu.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. dnuggett

dnuggett Forum Resident Thread Starter

Mine are 0091.

5. longhorn

longhorn Active Member

Can you explain the sonics of the Zu Omens? In comparison to the KEF LS50s? I read that Zus do not sound like other speakers? With such a large driver are they beamy? Are they transparent?

6. Murphy13

Murphy13 Forum Resident

I'm not certain about the KEF,however, my omen defs are very "3d". Plus, depending on your room, are very easy to dial in bass with foot adjustment. I don't find them to be "touchy" (you can just throw them up, turn them on and get great sound and imaging) but they are easy to change sonics with movement (toe in, etc). The thing I like about the Omen Defs is that it will excel with consumer grade equipment, vintage equipment or top of the line audiophile equipment. Before my current BK amp/Peachtree pre set up, I used an old Pioneer A/V elite receiver. The Defs were amazing.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  7. longhorn

longhorn Active Member

Thank you for the reply, how sensitive are Zus to different cabling, or are you owners using Zu cabling?

8. Blue Gecko

Blue Gecko Peace

Zu cables...

9. Smitty43

Smitty43 Forum Resident

I have the Zu Omens and I love them and the guy's at Zu are the best! I also have a pair of Legacy HD monitors and sometimes switch and always come back to the ZU's ! The HD's are boxed up in the shop now and waiting to give to my son when he gets home from Japan.

10. longhorn

longhorn Active Member

In layman'a or audiophile terms what is it that make Zu ,especially the Omens click with you? Aren't the Legacies more transparent or "clear"?

Again, thank you to everyone who has taken the time to answer my questions regarding Zu.

11. Robert M.

Robert M. Forum Resident

I have the original Omen, and can only compare them to B&W's CDM1, 705, and 805. I still have the first two speakers, used as studio monitors and for AV, respectively. Better bass of course, and as mentioned by ChuckNOS, still delivers decent bass and very good sound even at lower sound levels, let's say 75db to 80db at the listening position. Very responsive to higher quality components upstream. Better with guitar than piano. This review describes most of what I hear.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2011/08/zu-omen-standard-loudspeaker/

12. Smitty43

Smitty43 Forum Resident

The Zu Omens have to me a more natural sound and I only drive them with 6.5 watts and mine have the druid upgraded speakers. Picked mine up locally for $800 and been happy ever since.

13. Murphy13

Murphy13 Forum Resident

To be honest I've only used two cables. Old Monster 10 AWG and current Canare 11 awg cables. They both sounded quite similar. I tried one on each speaker with mono source and the Canare maybe had a bit more low end "fullness" or it could just be me, speaker position, etc. I'd be curious to try high end cables and see if I could hear the difference. ZU Event cables may be on my Christmas list this year

14. Smitty43

Smitty43 Forum Resident

Tried mine with 18 gauge wire and also other brands and all ways come back to Morrow SP5's and that seems to make me happy! I like the Morrow cables better with the Zu's !

15. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Yup, better balanced then most of there offerings.

16. Murphy13

Murphy13 Forum Resident

One thing I like about the ZU's are they are VERY revealing. You can hear slightest creeks, rattles on some older recordings that make you take notice. Vocalist breaths and noises are more apparent as well. If you have a poorly recorded piece, it will be even more obvious with the zus.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  17. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Agreed. But I've always felt that the presentation was a bit to forward to be considered natural or neutral. I've heard many speakers that overemphasize whats on the recording.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  18. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

What you call "forward" is what we Zu-heads call "tone density". :D

19. Murphy13

Murphy13 Forum Resident

Business is always slow this time of year and that is when I take lots of time for music listening and other projects. Right now I have my Omen Defs dialed in perfect. I'm running a B&K st 140 amp Peachtree Nova Pre. Vocals are actually floating out front in the center. Pretty much with everything i'm throwing at it. Bass is perfect. I was listening to some Mono Beatles and the tracks sounded 3d like, not flat. I'm thinking of a new amp, however, with the way everything is "Gel" ing) lately, I hate to mess with anything.

SandAndGlass, Smitty43 and Whoopycat like this.
  20. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

I've had limited experience listening the Omens, but from what I remember they were nice speakers.

That review on the other hand.... way too much flowery , poetic prose. After reading it I was more confused and less informed. Lots of fluff but little on the substance. There's a point somewhere in that reading but where I'll be dammed.

21. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

It's funny you say that. I just had the exact same experience with Mono Beatles on my Zu DefHeads. The guitar tone on "Revolution" got me out of my chair to do some air guitar!

Smitty43 likes this.
  22. Skibum00

Skibum00 Forum Resident

I have had a pair of the Omens for two years now, absolutely love them. I also agree that customer service has been flawless, I received a couple follow up calls after I bought them just to make sure everything arrived ok and I was enjoying them. I now only wish they would sell some sort of speaker cover for the omens, my daughter is now 2.5 years old and loves to poke at the speakers. I have just been keeping the shipping covers on them when not in use.

23. Robert M.

Robert M. Forum Resident

About what one would expect from a wordsmith/english teacher. :)

24. Upinsmoke

Upinsmoke Well-Known Member

I just had to backspace over four paragraphs.

Yes, could be.

rob303 likes this.
  25. Murphy13

Murphy13 Forum Resident

The mono White Album is really something. Cry Baby Cry and Long Long Long is a real treat in mono. The dynamics and imaging are top notch. Nothing sounds compressed and the low end really sings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.